Virtual Reality | ELEVEN Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021

I spent all my childhood playing All Star Tennis for Nintendo - it was my favourite game and the reason to start playing in reality with my friends) Absolutelly amazing how game industry have changed from these times. After seeing this video I`m going to buy Quest 2 too)
Also - I still play All Star Tennis sometimes using emulator. If you wanna some nostalgia - you can download the game here https://romsplanet.com/ Anyway - this simulator is the best tennis game I`ve ever seen!
Need to get myself one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
I’m getting ready to pick up the Oculus Quest 2 tomorrow and am excited to get back to the table, even if it is a virtual one. Between taking care of a 3 month old baby and all my local clubs shutting down, I haven’t been able to play in 5 months.

That being said, I have 2 questions. For the internal settings, has anyone played with them enough to figure out how to make them simulate specific rubbers? I played with a combo of Tenergy 05 and 05FX last and I would love to get something that feels as close to that as possible.

And I know the game doesn’t feel quite right if you don’t have a controller paddle handle converter. Has anyone out there made one out of a cheap paddle so they have the feeling of real wood in their hands? Or are all of them 3D printed and it’s not worth crafting myself?

I’m super excited to get the chance to play again.

This user has no status.
I’m getting ready to pick up the Oculus Quest 2 tomorrow and am excited to get back to the table, even if it is a virtual one. Between taking care of a 3 month old baby and all my local clubs shutting down, I haven’t been able to play in 5 months.

That being said, I have 2 questions. For the internal settings, has anyone played with them enough to figure out how to make them simulate specific rubbers? I played with a combo of Tenergy 05 and 05FX last and I would love to get something that feels as close to that as possible.

And I know the game doesn’t feel quite right if you don’t have a controller paddle handle converter. Has anyone out there made one out of a cheap paddle so they have the feeling of real wood in their hands? Or are all of them 3D printed and it’s not worth crafting myself?

I’m super excited to get the chance to play again.

That's awesome that you get your Quest tomorrow. You are going to love the game. There are many other players that use Tenergy rubbers playing Eleven, so you definitely be able to get assistance setting up your rubbers in the game. Regarding adaptors made out of wood, there are a couple examples in the other thread on here regarding Eleven Virtual Reality something EU. Right now its second from the top...

This user has no status.
I've recently bought a Quest 2 just for this game! Have been playing almost everyday, some thoughts:
  • The way I normally serves (e.g. like Ma Long's serve) becomes tricky without any handle adapter. Hooking serve is more natural - good for me to pick up a new serve!
  • Forehand becomes easier because it's easy and natural to keep the racket angle stable throughout the stroke - something I struggled to do in real life.
  • Backend, especially counter top spin, is tricky because it's difficult to close the racket angle with the controller. I used to close the racket angle with my thumb/wrist in real life, but with the controller I find it easier to use the forearm instead (something like what Jun Mizutani does).
  • Fast exchanges are difficult probably due to multiple factors, making it easier to stay a little bit away from the table and swing a little bit slower:
    • Low refresh rate (120Hz should help, haven't tried though)
    • High network latency (unless you're lucky to find an opponent closer to you geographically)
    • Slow controller tracking
I also find it satisfying to play with the AI bot with Hard difficulty. I can set the bot to return to the exact spot so I can drill my forehand/backend skills. I find it more fun than the iPong robot.

My in-game name: isolatorhk

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

I'd be interested to hear how it's affected your IRL table tennis and if it's possibly let you pick up some habits.

It depends on your style and how well it translates to the game mechanics/controllers.

For instance, spin in the VR is less effective than in real life. I play a spin based style, so it doesn't feel as useful to me. The angles required to return the balls are much less precise, and even without knowing the spin or amount on the ball, people can return different types more often.

Serving is nowhere near as crucial in the VR. Once again, the spin isn't realistic so less accuracy or reading of it is needed.

Basically, all the spins and everything from real life work... they're just toned down some. Reason being, I'd imagine the idea is to cater toward most users who would buy the game and play for fun - not the top 10% of real players crossing over. It's still a blast to play, work on tactics and does translate over to real life. The real issue comes from if you use non-standard equipment (pips, anti).

In addition, another hurdle to overcome... in physical table tennis, you can adjust your grip pressure to heavily influence the speed/return of the ball. The VR is not yet capable of registering that sort of input. So, whereas IRL if someone sends a fast shot over, you can relax/loosen the grip to absorb the power. In VR the rebound effect stays the same, regardless. If you are using a bouncy rubber setting, it works great off the table... but up close it can send back a rapid ball that overshoots the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Truer words have never been spoken... [emoji2] My friend yesterday ran into his kitchen island going for a shot in a tournament.
Here it is...
8f581516a95d1b560b66b1541142fc05.gif

Yeah, but The normal game only drops to 70 spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Recently purchased the Quest 2 and Eleven table tennis and I have to agree with some of the statements made so far but has been an awesome experience overall!

Spin does seem toned down in this game probably due to physics limitations and design choice. However playing with the bat settings all the spins applied on practised competitive serves still apply their purpose and can definitely manipulate the return making it tactically very useful for 3rd and 5th ball attack.

Ball machine is great and very customisable! As far as fitness goes this can be just as good as IRL training and you don't have to waste time picking up the balls.

The tracking does suffer a little when trying to swing very fast for super brush heavy strokes. Don't think it can pick up the precision and speed needed to lift those IRL difficult balls. I have found slowing the swing down does help with the consistency in game but then swapping back to IRL will need a bit of adjustment.

(Important) Online is pretty good however it does depend on a few things. If you're going to purchase a headset just for the multiplayer aspect then be aware of these few takeaways.

The pace of table tennis is generally fast so a good connection is required which does make having to play on WIFI a little rough due to some networking factors, so be prepared for inconsistencies.

If the player pool in your local region isn't very big it can also be a challenge to get multiple good connection games with a different range of players. Being in Australia I don't get the opportunity to play others with the "5" or "4" (connection quality) bars as there aren't too many players locally. TLDR the further your opponent away physically, the more delay the match will have. (There are some settings in the game to help with this)

If you like gaming and table tennis then this buy is a no brainer. If you're only in it for the table tennis but don't have access to club facilities or practise partners multiple times a week this is still a great investment. The only ones I can image not being interested would be pro to semi pro players already training 4-6 times per week for multiple hours.

Keen to hear everyone else thoughts.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Have you tried out the ping ball? I had the same problem with bad connections, but after using the ping ball... I can play people with 1 red bar or around 200 ms and still have a fairly clean game going.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Have you tried out the ping ball? I had the same problem with bad connections, but after using the ping ball... I can play people with 1 red bar or around 200 ms and still have a fairly clean game going.

Yeah I have! I think the Ping ball is a great idea and works pretty well most of the time. I haven't been game enough to play people with less than 3 bars with it but I might have to give it a shot.

This user has no status.

I'd be interested to hear how it's affected your IRL table tennis and if it's possibly let you pick up some habits.

I've been playing Eleven for about 3 months now, and it has both helped and hurt different aspects of my real life game. I initially got it to be able to train and improve my actual game, but being a combination bat player (long pips on one side), what I can actually train has been very limited. In fact, I personally think it might be best for any short or long pimple players to wait until those options are available, or it might mess up your game. I wanted to train shot sequences and combinations, but not having long pips, I have to actually play differently then how I do in real life, so that's not really a good thing. Having said that, it is possible to create a long pimple rubber to practice with, but it is in the Beta version where you can only train with a robot or AI opponent. Despite that, it's been a lot of fun.