Yoo Nam Gyu Explains the little things that reduce BH errors

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As title says, Yoo Nam Gyu is with one of the 2 ladies from the Tak-Cheo series training them on varius aspects of TT. Yoo Nam Gyu is some bum who knows zero about TT, right? Dude only won the first ever gold medal in the sport is all he did.

This vid is on a number of good to know nuggets for players to reduce BH errors... since the vid is in English subtitles that are not terrible off the mark, many can get all the main points.

Enjoy.

says Aging is a killer

I don’t doubt the abilities of this guy but the English subtitles zaps by way too fast. I hard to follow.... cheers L-zr

I read your post and immediately viewed at half the normal speed. Much better for reading the subtitles, although the coach then sounds very drunk. Good tutorial, Der_Echte.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lazer and Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

I don’t doubt the abilities of this guy but the English subtitles zaps by way too fast. I hard to follow....

cheers
L-zr

It's OK Lazer, after you spend several decades beating your head against a wall to drive in those Korean vocabulary words, watching these vids gets easier. Stay with it, you will get there. :D

Reactions: Lazer
says Aging is a killer
Good coaching video!

I don't think the video was a setup. As a viewer, I could see her gradual improvement until she actually felt that she got it.
I took from it:
elbow down or in line with wrist/ thumb
Get the body close to the ball, that is, bat in front of body.
Wrist straight, use elbow for leverage
He didn't quite explain how to get power or great spin. Maybe that's for a more advanced player or another video😀
Am I mis-interpreting anything?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

I don't think the video was a setup. As a viewer, I could see her gradual improvement until she actually felt that she got it.
I took from it:
He didn't quite explain how to get power or great spin. Maybe that's for a more advanced player or another video😀

The video focused on beginners so the stroke he taught is the starting point, but he does emphasize some more next step stuff.
- The bat head is crucial in making power and spin. He took quite a lot to emphasize that. You should feel it rotating upward.
- The elbow would get higher if you have a strong wrist, which is basically the next step to add spin.

The video is part of a couple of excellent series. The female head coach taught the basics, the male coach and his male professional players talked and demoed more advanced stuff. I also like the way they make clear what sort of audience they aim at.

Reactions: Tinykin
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Is the sub timed by a human at all? It feels like it's auto-synced by youtube, which is an available feature.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

I took from it:

The "Set-Up" was that the players were not at such a lower level as it showed in the vids where Yoo Nam Gyu was correcting them... those players had that down already... but for the purposes of the video - to show the common mistake... they were playing like that (like many do) and coach made the correction not on them (they had it already) but on the kind of mistake.

Where the vid series is NOT a setup is basically, a few players with minimal ability and a capability to develop were selected... and off camera, they got a lot of great training and reps... and over the time of the vid series they really did develop. So did Takkyu. A few years ago, Takkyu started making vids and there was no way I would rate him Div 2 mens... but here he is in 2021 legit Div 2 mens natl level... not a ringer, but belongs in Div 2, they didn't just give it to him, he earned it.

Reactions: Tinykin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Is the sub timed by a human at all? It feels like it's auto-synced by youtube, which is an available feature.

Hi Zeio,

I have zero idea who did the translation or who/how they setup timing of the start and end of the English Subs.

All I know is the translation is not horrible, like in many self-made productions.

What I suspect happens in MANY of the Korean vids that have English subs (could be happening here to) is that the vid maker types out his Korean script, complete with timeline start of each sentence, then youtube does its auto-translate and places the subs with the timeline in the Korean script. These tanslations are often off in some things, but in gerneral, not really going into the national crime area of bad job.

Where you REALLY get the hillarious auto translate is where a Korean script with timelines is NOT provided to youtube in the upload... but the uploader is relying upon youtube's auto-voice cpabilities to make the script... and youtube's auto-voice thingy is NOT good enough to discern regional accents... and makes HUGE mistakes.

We can remember Nexy Korea president Moon Ui Bae making a vid explaining how he constructs blades (designs)... one part he was explaining that one should layer the plies of wood in a TARTAN pattern... in Korean, they say Ta-Tan... well, youtube's auto translater caught that one with a "s" on the first sound, instead of a "t" and the outcome was hilarious.. so youtube was saying he uses evil to make blades.

Sometimes, the youtubers do their own translation. make their own English script and upload it... that does not happen a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Doesn’t look like auto-translation to me. I’ve been watching a lot of these and the subs make a lot of sense, although apparently they are not very natural. Understandably they are quick because the videos are condensed and the participants spoke very fast. They also include both speech and written captions subs. It’s just that we gotta read instead of listening so we feel it too fast somehow. But these are definitely worth watching a few times. World class coaches.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This particular series, where they develop a couple of female players is outstanding, lots of stuff to get from it. Their other series stuff is great too.

For the advanced training... in Korean schools, they identify those with athletic potential and provide them PROFESSIONAL TRAINING... I mean they hire an actual pro coach, often an ex-national player (There are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of these as the KNT is VERY COMPETITIVE). ...and they do it inexpensively. The school uses its multipurpose room, often large enough to have 4-8 tables... the tables, once bought last years... coaches salary is not gunna kill the school - a few thousand USD a month... (USA schools might spend a million on its American Football team program) So they get 6-12 school kids in the gym and the ex-pro tiger coach whips them into TT shape.

I had a few of our Korea Foreign squad players get in on some of this Middle School and High School training... I visited and was shocked at what I saw. I was expecting multiple coaches showing the top pro techniques taking all this time for complicated stuff... and it was NOT like that at all. It was simply FUNDAMENTAL STUFF done over and over and over rotated among skills with practice points, practice rallies, and practice matches. Kids figure out the touch... they get shown footwork and early on the biomechanics... but once it is middle school, it is drill, drill, drill, and drill some moar.

Reactions: Tango K
Jan 2018
I grabbed the sub and looked at it. The sub is actually well-timed but is ahead by 4 seconds. It's likely the sub was done before they added that 4-second intro at the start of the video, messing up the sync.

Reactions: Der_Echte