Returning player, bat help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Hi
I am currently trying to get back into table tennis after about 10 years out. I am struggling to figure out what bat set up to use. So I'm looking for some suggestions if anyone has any.
I used to use bryce on both sides on a donic applegren all play Senso v1 blade and with millennium chack speed glue. I have tried tenergy 05 on that blade but there just isn't the explosive spin and speed I was used to. I was also used to a high dwell time on my loops.
Any help is much appreciated!
Tom

Reactions: thomas.pong
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Bryce is still available, but I guess it’s the speed glue you used to use that contributed to how the set up played.
The Appelgren all play senso V1 is an Allround blade so you could speed up the set up by getting a faster blade.

You could try boosting the sponge, but from what I’ve heard, this is still not the same as speed glues. (Strictly speaking its illegal !!!! As is speed gluing!!! But people still do it!!) it wouldn’t hurt to try boosting the T05 just to see what difference it makes, I’ve only boosted Chinese tacky rubbers, maybe someone on the forum can comment on boosting ESN/spring sponges and how this compares to the old speed glues.

What sort of level did you play at? Style of play? Any vids of you playing? These will help people advise.

there are rubbers that are toted as having ‘built in speed glue effect’ but usually factory ‘tuning’ (legal) can wear off pretty quick.

Andro R48 and R53 are both pretty quick and produce good spin, they also feel softer than you think they should, both are really crisp for counter topspin and drives, R48 is way more forgiving (for my level of play) than R53, R53 demands better technique and footwork. Brush looping is good with both, but I feel their strength is counter topspin and drives.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi Tom,

Like IB said, the reason you're not getting that explosive spin and speed anymore is the fact that speed glue is no longer commonly used. The other reason is the 40+mm plastic ball which is slower, less bouncy and spinny than the 40mm celluloid ball or better yet the 38mm one.

Tenergy 05 is one of the most explosive rubbers on the market in terms of spin and speed. Tenergy 19 just came out and it's supposed to be slightly faster and spinnier than T05. There's also T05 Hard, a harder and faster version of T05. Finally rubbers like Dignics 09C are a bit tacky to cope with the less active ball. In general, players now use harder rubbers and faster blades (carbon) to cope with the ball. Blades like Butterfly Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, Innerforce ALC/ZLC or Donic Ovtcharov/Original True Carbon have become the standard for many high intermediate to pro players.

You could also boost your rubbers or use speed glue still or both, but I would start with using a faster blade to "boost" your Tenergy's naturally.

Finally, using a very good 40+ ball like the Nittaku Premium (the best 40+) makes quite a bit of difference, or even the Nittaku J-Top for training.

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I have a different hypothesis. I might be wrong though. You had a 10-year break. Maybe, just maybe, you need some time to get back in shape. Equipment, most noticeably balls, have changed. Are you making the blade scream? Does it make a high-pitched sound when you hit?

Keep in mind that I am not implying that you do not know how to play. I am just trying to tell you that there is a possibility that you need some time to get the rust off. For me, it usually takes 10-20hrs of training to get back into full shape after a month+ break, let alone 10 years... The first balls I played after the last 3-month break were neither fast nor spinny despite having quite good equipment. I actually do have an Appelgren Allplay, and I can say it is not a speed demon, it is quite easy to make vicious spin with it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. The new ball size with the new material, (from celluloid to PLASTIC) makes the ball notably slower and it is much harder to get spin. Then take away speed glue, and that causes less spin and less speed.

Probably you should use a faster blade. Something like a Xiom Offensive S might be fast if you were used to an Appelgren AllPlay.

But you could also try boosting the Tenergy or getting something like MXP or Rasanter R 48 and boosting it. R-48 Gets massive spin for as long as the factory tuning lasts. If it was boosted, it would probably work even better.

But, given the changes in equipment, the idea that getting some of your form back, like Kuba H suggested might also be something you need to do, because the touch and contact depth you need to use for the 40+ Poly Ball is much different than what worked best with the old celluloid balls. So, getting some of your form back may even entail experimenting with different contact depths for the Poly Ball.

To me, the change from the 38mm ball to the 40mm ball was small compared to the change from the 40mm to the 40+ Poly ball.

Good luck sorting out what will work best for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Thanks for the replies. I should of said I did actually play for a year in 2016-17 which is when I tried tenergy. My playing style was mainly to chop on the backhand until I could work my way on to a big loop on the forehand. Liked to play slightly away from the table once the rally had opened up.
Never considered the change of ball again so that's something I'll just have to get used to.
I have ordered some booster to try on the current set up to see how that affects it.
Will be looking at blades too, did try a donic person impuls 7.0 blade but found it very hard and stiff. Can anyone suggest a faster version of the applegren allplay v1 ie still good control and not stiff but definitely all wood?

Roll on the end of lock down so I can join a new club and get back to it!

Edit: just had a look at the xiom offensive s and it sounds ideal!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly Primorac, Butterfly Korbel, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, OSP Virtuoso Off- and OSP Virtuoso Plus are the same wood plies as the Appelgren Allplay but they are all faster.

They won't play just like it. But having the same wood plies (Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba) will give you something that is as close as you can get while the blades are all made slightly differently.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thanks for the replies. I should of said I did actually play for a year in 2016-17 which is when I tried tenergy. My playing style was mainly to chop on the backhand until I could work my way on to a big loop on the forehand. Liked to play slightly away from the table once the rally had opened up.
Never considered the change of ball again so that's something I'll just have to get used to.
I have ordered some booster to try on the current set up to see how that affects it.
Will be looking at blades too, did try a donic person impuls 7.0 blade but found it very hard and stiff. Can anyone suggest a faster version of the applegren allplay v1 ie still good control and not stiff but definitely all wood?

Roll on the end of lock down so I can join a new club and get back to it!

Edit: just had a look at the xiom offensive s and it sounds ideal!

Do you use an inverted or pips to chop? That would also impact suggestion I think.