Rubber recommendations. Stiga? DNA?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Hi all,

New to the forum but wanted to know your thoughts....(mainly on Stiga rubbers)

Am thinking of getting some new rubbers for my poor unused bat.
I switched to Penhold a few years back leaving my normal bat in the dark.
But now I'm thinking of switching back (for a while).

Currently the bat has Tenergy 80 which is tired and lifeless
and Skyline III which still plays ok, still slightly sticky but really worn.

I've used Stiga alot in the past - I've tried Mantra (which I really didn't like, didn't get much from it)
Have Genesis (the first) on my main backhand which I really do like (though only as it's just easy and I rarely use backhand penhold)
and have tried quite a few Tenergy's and my clear favourite in Tenergy 80 non-FX - love it on back and forehand,
though I feel it loses its spin fairly quickly making forehand difficult and flat.
Also though, have tried many Calibras and really I think this is Stiga's best rubber.
Light, spinny, fast and doesn't deteriorate - incredibly long lasting still a beast 6 years on on my friend's bat.

So....am tempted by a Hard DNA if it's anything like Calibra - and also by Genesis II if it's sticky like DHS.

What do you think? And thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
DNA H is nice, but much harder than T80 and doesn't last as long.

What is your benchmark for durability? T80 is definitely above average...

Keep in mind, most people change at least twice a year.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Hi Iasta, thanks for responding,

Yeah - I am a casual player so changing regularly is not a financial option - otherwise definitely I'd maintain Tenergy 80.
When you first put it on I've not found anything else like it.

Probably I'm looking to change every couple of years really - since lockdown I've been doing no exercise at all so trying to get back into table tennis!

I like the idea of a hard rubber - think that's what I liked about Calibra - because it's thickness is reduced - it's noticeably lighter and harder. I tore my arm muscles a few years back (Tenergy 64's fault - also a great rubber) and never really recovered so weight is a huge factor. My penhold bat is really heavy (Dignics 80 and Genesis on Innerforce) - trying to find a solution to not get injured again. And also not really wanting the extreme nature of Dignics as will be playing very different style - more controlled.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
Hi all,

New to the forum but wanted to know your thoughts....(mainly on Stiga rubbers)

Am thinking of getting some new rubbers for my poor unused bat.
I switched to Penhold a few years back leaving my normal bat in the dark.
But now I'm thinking of switching back (for a while).

Currently the bat has Tenergy 80 which is tired and lifeless
and Skyline III which still plays ok, still slightly sticky but really worn.

I've used Stiga alot in the past - I've tried Mantra (which I really didn't like, didn't get much from it)
Have Genesis (the first) on my main backhand which I really do like (though only as it's just easy and I rarely use backhand penhold)
and have tried quite a few Tenergy's and my clear favourite in Tenergy 80 non-FX - love it on back and forehand,
though I feel it loses its spin fairly quickly making forehand difficult and flat.
Also though, have tried many Calibras and really I think this is Stiga's best rubber.
Light, spinny, fast and doesn't deteriorate - incredibly long lasting still a beast 6 years on on my friend's bat.

So....am tempted by a Hard DNA if it's anything like Calibra - and also by Genesis II if it's sticky like DHS.

What do you think? And thanks in advance.

Just curious, if you really liked Calibra, why not go back to it? It’s been around a long time, but still a great rubber. I use to use Tenergy 64 which I loved, but now prefer Calibra LT.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

I've been testing DNA Pro H for a little while and think it's somewhat underrated.
Certainly it's not 'up there' with the very best of the best in terms of top-end performance, but it does seem to me to be very easy to use. The Stiga Genesis M gave me the same impression: not quite as powerful as some other 47* rubbers, but super control!
I can't comment on durability yet as I've only been playing the DNA Pro H for about a month.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
...can't really work out how to reply/quote on this yet.

In response to Push....

well yes. and i think i'm heading down that track. i've had Calibra LT plus in the past which they don't make.
but my friend has LT Spin and LT Sound, both of which are excellent. I'm thinking of perhaps LT Spin plus DNA H.
With the intention being to play DNA forehand but if that doesn't work out - turn the bat around.

sound good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hijacking this thread a bit. How do you guys think Donic Bluefire JP 01 Turbo compares to DNA? Also a bit interested in trying DNA 😁[h1] [/h1]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Not sure if anyone is interested but... I thought I'd respond seeing as how kind and generous with your thoughts you all were the first time around.

So, basically, I took all of your advice and ended up with Victas 11 max forehand (black obvs) and a sheet of Calibra LT. I tried the V11 2.0 also but it was just too slow. Will keep it for a later date.

My very very sweet EJ/DJ friend loaned me a bat to practice the Victas with. I had originally tried it on a Stiga Rosewood - but really I never got on with the shape of that blade - note: not dissing the rosewood as another one I've tried is awesome. Anyhow the mildly interesting story goes on....

My very sweet EJ loaned me his TSP Swat Power and stuck the Victas on it - excellent feeling in the Swat but it just didn't fit in my hand so well. So well.... I went shopping.

Got an ITC Premier XC and stuck on the Victas and a new Calibra LT. Some difference. At least this report can be seen as a judgement on blade differences even if not rubbers. The Victas really spins. It's definitely not too fast. I was worried the blade would be too fast - I usually play with Innerforce ZLC which definitely IS fast, because it FEELS fast. It pings. The ITC doesn't feel of anything at all. The Victas feels suddenly soft and the Calibra is like swatting(tm) thin air. However, this is exactly what I was after. The Swat blade while feeling good especially at mid distance didn't give me the natural spin I got immediately from the new ITC. One can whip the ball up and over the net now and the only similar feeling I've had is with my sweet friend's Dignics 05. i.e: not bad.

A note: I'm not a great player, but I can (just about) feel the difference between the blades and the rubbers.

In short...I would recommend the Victas V>11 Ex to anyone who wants a light bat and wants the "feeling" when whipping a topspin. But if so: get a soft blade.

Ta to you all.