Challenge to Blade Makers - Blade Design/Fab

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Blade Makers:

I would like to invite 3-5 Blade makers to a Blade design and fabrication challenge. I am looking right now to receive feedback on which Blade makers want to accept this "Challenge".

Once I figure out who will participate, I will provide specific and general details/properties of what I would like the finished Blade to be. I will clearly identify the requirements where I wish for something specific and exact, like say handle type, length, and circumference. I will prove a range of parameters where it needs to be less specific, like say overall weight.

I will pay for the fabrication and delivery of each blade at whatever price the Blade maker would normally charge. I am not doing this to squeeze freebies out of a Blade maker. We will keep price to low 100s usd max per blade.

I simply have two objectives for this challenge. One is to provide custom Blade makers a chance to showcase their skills and creativity. Second is to get a few more blades I know I will like that are custom spec'd and not found anywhere.

Sure, being a tt equipment reseller of Nexy gives me access to a whole bunch of custom designed blades turned commercial that I like and use, but there is something about individual specialization that should be precious and appreciated. I am gunna put my personal money where my mouth is, and instead try to not jam my foot in there, like I often do.

I would be inclined to open this for dozens of makers, but since I am using personal funds post USA/Cali tax slash post Cali living/transportation costs, I am not exactly a rich uncle after all that.

So, I have to draw the line somewhere I will go with a max of 5 Blade makers, unless I soon meet that fictitious rich uncle, then we can amend the total of Blade Makers upwards in the challenge.

Blade Makers, place a short piece about yourself on this thread about yourself if you wish to participate.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I would like to be considered for the blade-making "challenge"! A little bit about me: I started making blades because I couldn't afford to be an EJ, but I figured I could learn to make my own blades so that I could try out as many combinations as I wanted until I settled on some final designs for my own ideal blade. I have PhD in a research heavy field, so I spend a lot of time thinking about processes and controlling variables (in research, daily life, and in blade-making).

Der_Echte, you already have a 'few' blades that I've made, so I want to counter-challenge you to come up with the most descriptive explanation of the properties you find desirable in a blade, such that the blade-makers not only work to meet the physical characteristics of the blade (e.g., weight, size, etc), but also use their own approaches to make a blade that achieves the "feel" (e.g., specific vibrational qualities) and "playability" (e.g., speed, control, etc) that you define. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Nate,

Some of my requirements will be very precise, narrow tolerances, and very specific... like say the handle type, shape, and circumference... other requirements will be clearly defined with a large tolerance, like the weight of the blade. Some specs will not be clearly defined and open to creativity and artistry.

When we get all of our participants identified, I will lay out the requirements of the blade for this challenge.

Call, text, or old fashioned holler at you blade making friends.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
You can count me in. Time to finally put that ebony board to good use 😁

I've always been a DIY kind of guy. About 3 years ago I returned to TT after a 5 year hiatus and found that the ball changed everything, so I was struggling to find a blade I liked. I was messing around with guitar building at the time, had some tools and resources, so I decided to try building some blades. One thing led to another and here I am.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Interesting topic!

But an open RFP usually comes with specific requirements. I'm not interested in making blades, but very curious to hear about your requirements and feasibility responses from the makers.

My short stint with customs is that they start as a crapshoot, and after a dozen or 2 of hypothesis + sample testing, you get to a point where you can guess the "feel" just by looking at it. Where you at now?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Interesting topic!

But an open RFP usually comes with specific requirements. I'm not interested in making blades, but very curious to hear about your requirements and feasibility responses from the makers.

My short stint with customs is that they start as a crapshoot, and after a dozen or 2 of hypothesis + sample testing, you get to a point where you can guess the "feel" just by looking at it. Where you at now?

Well lasta, my problem is that I really do not care if the end product is so exact like I stated the requirements. This is a huge personal problem with attitude I have. I do this to see what thinking and creativity in solutions blade makers are gunna use. if I over-define the requiremnts, there will be little initiative and individual display of artistry and problem solving. There will be no problem to solve if I have defined everything. There will be no artistry if a demand the exact look of every detail. I am willing to accept and try out what is gunna get done. I have a HIGH level of confidence that the blade makers will really shine.

I have a very good idea how something will go if I control this and that to this and that degree, but my final requirments statement will leave the blade maker a LOT of leway to "get there" in many areas and there will be little to now chance any of the blades will look alike or play exactly alike... and I may like it that way. Again, it is a personal poblem I have, but I will deal with it. :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Well lasta, my problem is that I really do not care if the end product is so exact like I stated the requirements. This is a huge personal problem with attitude I have. I do this to see what thinking and creativity in solutions blade makers are gunna use. if I over-define the requiremnts, there will be little initiative and individual display of artistry and problem solving. There will be no problem to solve if I have defined everything. There will be no artistry if a demand the exact look of every detail. I am willing to accept and try out what is gunna get done. I have a HIGH level of confidence that the blade makers will really shine.

I have a very good idea how something will go if I control this and that to this and that degree, but my final requirments statement will leave the blade maker a LOT of leway to "get there" in many areas and there will be little to now chance any of the blades will look alike or play exactly alike... and I may like it that way. Again, it is a personal poblem I have, but I will deal with it. :D

With you leaving a lot of flexibility in design to allow for creativity, it’s going to be really fun to see how the different blade makers approach this and see the variety at the end.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the final results. No doubt all will be beautiful.

This user has no status.
🧐 I’ll play.

I’m Chase from Sacramento. I’ve been making blades for about 4 years and started because I found a blade on eBay that was handmade by Charlie (bbc) which inspired me to make my first blade. I’ll show off my personal blade I made since this is my first post.

edit: no I won’t post my blade because it won’t let me 😂

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Chase,

You make 5 posts on TTD and the system allows you to post pics. It is kinda like an anti-spammer thingy.

You could post a few times in the let's get Sergey to join and talk on TTD thread,so you can post and get up to the 5 post mark, so that you can add pics in this thread.

New Rubber - Donic Blue-Grippie V1-S-T Version (tabletennisdaily.com)

I still would like another 1-2 blade makers to join up, so I will keep this thread going a few more days for them to have more chance to see it... at that point I will publish the specs and desired outcome of the blade.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
$100 for the ping pong paddle is expensive i think in $50 you can get an amazing ping pong paddle which would be reliable,durable and easy to use.
You can check this article for more details.

• Angry
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I wish i can participate.... But im out of wood nearly a year now..... It is basically inposible to get veneers here in Slovakia only good shop from Austria comes crazy and want to sell only in big amounts.... Sorry i will pass for now.

This user has no status.
695C7027-01D1-4803-8F2A-FAA9276473B7.jpeg

Here we go it worked. This is my personal blade

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
695C7027-01D1-4803-8F2A-FAA9276473B7.jpeg

Here we go it worked. This is my personal blade
Tell us about the blade. How many plies? What are the different plies? How much does it weigh? The top ply looks like it could be Hinoki. Is that what it is or is it something else?