Can China Go Without Dropping a Match in the World Team Competition

Will China Be Able To Win Every Match At The World Team Championships?

• China Will Not Lose a Match

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • China Will Lose at Least One Match

Votes: 37 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So this is a simple poll. How many of you out there think that China can go through the whole World Team Tournament without dropping a Match.

Go ahead and vote in the poll. :)

longwtttc1.jpg

Ma Long of China returns the ball during the Championship Division Group A match
against Panagiotis Gionis of Greece at the 2012 World Team Table Tennis*
Championships in Dortmund, Germany, March 25, 2012. Chinese men's team won 3-0.
(Xinhua/Ma Ning)

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I don't get it... Sorry.. Do you mean a singles match in the team competition (for example Ma Long could lose against Boll when China meets Germany), or do you mean a team match vs. another country (For example Germany beats China when they meet up)? :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't get it... Sorry.. Do you mean a singles match in the team competition (for example Ma Long could lose against Boll when China meets Germany), or do you mean a team match vs. another country (For example Germany beats China when they meet up)? :)

Oh, good point Anders. I meant a player vs player match. Rather than Country vs Country. For example, in 2010 I believe that the only match that China lost in the 2010 team competition was Ma Long vs Timo Boll. If Ma Long had won that match China would have defeated each of their opponents without giving up a match in the head to head match-ups.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
nice thread Carl,

Europeans seems that they can't beat them this time..Chinese were very strong in every open at 2012..
i give good chance that might happened.

except Gionis will make the surprise in the first game..hehe
Greece!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I think that China will make one slip up, however they will win the overall championships fairly simply. that said i want south korea to cause a huge upset!
I think the women may manage this feat too, however Singapore could give them problems and possibly also Japan. South Korea and Hong Kong have fallen off the pace a bit so i think they would do well to get to the semi finals this time around, and what interesting semis they could be in the mens and the womens...

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Oh, good point Anders. I meant a player vs player match. Rather than Country vs Country. For example, in 2010 I believe that the only match that China lost in the 2010 team competition was Ma Long vs Timo Boll. If Ma Long had won that match China would have defeated each of their opponents without giving up a match in the head to head match-ups.

Thank you Carl, that's clearing things up! :)

Well, in this respect, I think China wont be able to do that.. Germany, Korea, Japan, and even Sweden, all have players that might pull off some upsets against China when they are in top form and playing good.

Anyway, I think there will be very difficult for anyone to win against China.. But China will not win every match in straight mathces, I don't think so.
Time will show! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I think China will lose at least one match! Even if, the Chinese team were strong at every open this year, they didin't play a great match against their big opponent. And, at this stage, their biggest opponent such Germany, Japan and South Korea are also really strong and I think they can play strong.
China should be careful and take this WTTTC as an important preparation for the Olympics! But I'm sure they will win the competition!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
They certainly have the ability to...plus the interviews leading up to it make them seem very focused and taking this seriously because it will have ramifications within developing a new order within the team. Will they actually sweep? I'm fairly split on that possibility...but I hope not...because when a Chinese player loses a singles match in an important competition it is probably the most exciting thing to watch in table tennis, for me at least.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just for the record, I like the Chinese National Team, so it is nothing against them, but I will be rooting for anyone to win against them. I am hoping someone can take them out; anyone. Of course, I don't think that is going to happen. They really are too good. I don't really think they will go through the whole tournament without dropping at least one match somewhere along the line. There will probably be one place along the way where someone or a doubles team does not play great.

But, the reality of things is that, they probably have more of a chance of going 3-0 on everyone than they have of losing a team matchup to anyone. This year's team is much stronger than the team in 2010 and the only thing that stopped them from going through the whole team event without dropping one match was Timo Boll facing a Ma Long who was coming off an injury. He had been out for 3 months before that tournament and he went back out for another 3 months after that tournament. And Ma Long choked in that match. He was leading and in control and fell apart.

All those factors in place and China was still 1 match away from a perfect tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think as a team that is a target for them.LGL is too sensible a guy and would want to peak slowly.However,the individual competitions within the team is so high because of the olympics , no body would want to lose. So yes its a possibility but I don't think it will happen .

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Oh yes...I totally got it mixed up with WTTC. There are no doubles in WTTTC:)..thanx pointing it out SC. You do need something special to take a match away from the Chinese. In 2010, there was Timo..this year, it all depends on the draw and whether the others can find that extra special something. I definitely think it's do-able, and hope it will be a bit closer this time. The Chinese will prevail in the end to win it...