All wood balde which one?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi to everyone I'm back on the forum for some time of absence.
Yesterday I played table tennis after an entire year of inactivity due to covid. It was a simple friendly tournament to get back to playing. Obviously, the result after a year of inactivity was disappointing, many forced errors and in general I could not control the racket I was comfortable with before. I played with a zhang jike alc with Omega v tour and tibhar elp. So I was thinking of changing the blade and keeping the same rubbers.

I was thinking of getting a wooden blade to have more control and to gradually regain the touch that I have lost in this idle time. When I was training three times a week I could control this setup (even before I played with a hexer powergrip on the forehand rather than an omega v tour) but now that I still won't have the chance to train so frequently I think it is convenient to downgrade in terms of speed.In the past I have played with an stiga infinity but unfortunately I don't own it anymore.
I remember that at the time I used it simultaneously with a viscaria to see what the differences were.
I particularly liked the feeling and I remember that the amount of spin it was able to impart to the ball was incredible.I do remember, however, that it was slightly slow in some shots. I also used another blade previously the innerforce alc. The innerforce is slower than the zhang jike alc I'm using at the moment but I don't really like the feeling. IF ALC has too much dweel time and this does not allow me to play short and compact strokes, in general you have to make a bigger movement for each shot and on slow shot I find it too soft. So I was looking for a wooden blade that was similar in features to the Stiga infinity but slightly faster.

I've done some research, what about OSP Virtuoso+, butterfly korbel (made in japan), TSP Swat, rosewood v ? Are these good candidates for what I am looking for?
Friend,

Here is my take. You can never go wrong with Stiga All Round Classic. It is a good and well-known blade. It is the go-to blade for any beginner or those who wish to restart after a long hiatus such as yourself to get back into the groove so to speak. It is cheap, and easy to sell off once you decide to upgrade; because it is so well known.

There is no bad point for this blade. Go get yourself one and restart the game.

Oh, and welcome back to the game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Korbel compared to V+: V+ will feel like it has more crunch on impact and more ball feel.

A friend who tried my V+ said, "one thing I don't love about this blade is, I can feel exactly where the ball makes contact with the blade face. For me it is a bit too much feeling." :)

Korbel: for those who feel there is a level of feel and/or vibration that is too much, the vibration on the Korbel is slightly dampened compared to the V+ (or the V+ has extra and the Korbel does not have as much).

But there is enough the same between them that they will feel more alike than different. The both hold the ball and allow you to grab and spin the hell out of the ball.

So, if you took a drunk girl and blindfolded her, spun her around till she was disoriented and had her throw darts at a board with a cue card that said "V+" and another that said "Korbel" and she threw till she hit one of the cue cards, it would be a good blade choice. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi to everyone I'm back on the forum for some time of absence.
Yesterday I played table tennis after an entire year of inactivity due to covid. It was a simple friendly tournament to get back to playing. Obviously, the result after a year of inactivity was disappointing, many forced errors and in general I could not control the racket I was comfortable with before. I played with a zhang jike alc with Omega v tour and tibhar elp. So I was thinking of changing the blade and keeping the same rubbers.

I was thinking of getting a wooden blade to have more control and to gradually regain the touch that I have lost in this idle time. When I was training three times a week I could control this setup (even before I played with a hexer powergrip on the forehand rather than an omega v tour) but now that I still won't have the chance to train so frequently I think it is convenient to downgrade in terms of speed.In the past I have played with an stiga infinity but unfortunately I don't own it anymore.
I remember that at the time I used it simultaneously with a viscaria to see what the differences were.
I particularly liked the feeling and I remember that the amount of spin it was able to impart to the ball was incredible.I do remember, however, that it was slightly slow in some shots. I also used another blade previously the innerforce alc. The innerforce is slower than the zhang jike alc I'm using at the moment but I don't really like the feeling. IF ALC has too much dweel time and this does not allow me to play short and compact strokes, in general you have to make a bigger movement for each shot and on slow shot I find it too soft. So I was looking for a wooden blade that was similar in features to the Stiga infinity but slightly faster.

I've done some research, what about OSP Virtuoso+, butterfly korbel (made in japan), TSP Swat, rosewood v ? Are these good candidates for what I am looking for?

I think that you are over thinking a simple problem. You are having a mental impression about your performance before COVID happened and now you are not able to see yourself performing at the same level. Since we are all on the same boat, based on what I experienced about my game, I noticed that -
  • My timing was off and I was late to the ball
  • I was staying way too straight and my movement was non-existent
  • Also I had difficulty in controlling the incoming spin
I think anyone who is playing after a break would think on similar lines. Now it is simpler to think that if I go for a slower blade then probably I get a better feel, slow things down a bit and probably gain my lost footing faster. However, if you look at the problems which I mentioned above, none of these have to do anything with the equipment. I am not trying to move you away from trying a new paddle but I feel that there is a difference between how all wood feels and how a composite blade feels. But that is not the point, the point of discussion is how to fix these or other issues. I will mention what I did, may be you can try and see if it helps -
  • I tried playing without power and without too much backswing, even if I get a kill shot in place I tried to land it on the table than trying to hit hard. So hitting hard is an absolute no no since you are trying to recreate your muscle memory and if you try to put power, you will be using bigger muscles and getting false positives.
  • I tried crushing the numbers, landing 50 topspins without fail. Just get the numbers, keep pushing yourself to get a higher number
  • I started doing stretching and fitness in parallel so that I develop my core strength
  • I found a guy who is very kind to help me out and feed me multi balls.
There could be lot more entries in the problems and solution list based on how much you can think but I want to keep it simple for myself and also try to explain it in a simple format to others. If all these unsexy advices do not help or you just don't like it then you can try putting a slower rubber on the existing blade which can help too.
I know that a new setup is always tempting especially if you have the cash but that approach never solved anyone's problem and it can not solve yours.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think that you are over thinking a simple problem. .....

In general, I think this was a very good post. So I am not trying to argue against anything said in it. But, I would add 2 things:

1) It is always a good time to back off from a fast carbon blade and back track to a 5 ply all wood blade with more flex which will allow you to have more control and develop the skills the generate MOOOOORE SPiN. :)

2) Probably 90% of the forum or more would be well served by stepping back on the speed of the blade they use.

Der_Echte is a decently high level player with outrageously good touch and feel for the ball. He does often use decently fast carbon blades. However, he is fond of saying how, every time he backs up to a 5 ply all wood blade for 6-8 months, his level goes up. :) There is a reason why this is the case.

Think about it. If you are at the level of an elite amateur (semi-pro) you have the skill to use whatever you want. The rest of us would be well served by using a setup that is not quite that fast. ESPECIALLY IF part of the "solution" to a perceived issue is to CUT DOWN YOUR STROKE TO LAND THE BALL ON THE TABLE MORE CONSISTENTLY. If you are ever thinking to do that, you should undoubtedly try a slower setup for at least a few months. Cutting down your stroke to land the ball on the table can, at times, hinder the development of a good stroke.

You can cut down your stroke for strategic purposes, but you should be using equipment where you can take a full COMPLETE swing and land the ball on the table with confidence and consistency. If that is not happening, it is possible the equipment is too fast for you at the current time. :)

Last edited:
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews

In general, I think this was a very good post. So I am not trying to argue against anything said in it. But, I would add 2 things:

1) It is always a good time to back off from a fast carbon blade and back track to a 5 ply all wood blade with more flex which will allow you to have more control and develop the skills the generate MOOOOORE SPiN. :)

2) Probably 90% of the forum or more would be well served by stepping back on the speed of the blade they use.

Der_Echte is a decently high level player with outrageously good touch and feel for the ball. He does often use decently fast carbon blades. However, he is fond of saying how, every time he backs up to a 5 ply all wood blade for 6-8 months, his level goes up. :) There is a reason why this is the case.

Think about it. If you are at the level of an elite amateur (semi-pro) you have the skill to use whatever you want. The rest of us would be well served by using a setup that is not quite that fast. ESPECIALLY IF part of the "solution" to a perceived issue is to CUT DOWN YOUR STROKE TO LAND THE BALL ON THE TABLE MORE CONSISTENTLY. If you are ever thinking to do that, you should undoubtedly try a slower setup for at least a few months. Cutting down your stroke to land the ball on the table can, at times, hinder the development of a good stroke.

You can cut down your stroke for strategic purposes, but you should be using equipment where you can take a full COMPLETE swing and land the ball on the table with confidence and consistency. If that is not happening, it is possible the equipment is too fast for you at the current time. :)

Well, reducing power means not using your bigger muscles and hitting the ball at the optimal timing with the appropriate swing more with a relaxed snap of your forearm. I use the word appropriate as it directly relates to the speed of the incoming ball and also at the same time your distance from the table. I just wanted to clarify on that.
Further, if OP suggests that he bought the ALC blade but didn't like it and wants to change then sure, he is free to try a new setup. But as I understood the ask, he was playing good with it but now due to a gap he is finding it difficult to adjust to it. From my perspective the feel of the setup means a lot to me and wood and composite blades offer distinctive feeling. Adjusting to one feel vs. the other is a decision left to an individual. So I just presented what I did to adjust again after a break. But everyone is free to make their own choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl