Blade Makers' Challenge - Custom Der_Echte Blade Requirements

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi everyone,

I will write my requirements in this thread. Blade Makers can ask questions here to clarify anything I was not clear on. TTD Memebrs and Heckle n Jeckle fans can heckle me here too, or just say mean or nice things. I would think it is in the best interest of each blade maker to make their own thread to show as much or as little as they wish while work is in progress.

For anyone not knowing what is going on, I asked blade makers who are TTD memebrs to participate in a custom blade making challenge where I will set requirements, then the blade makers will make a blade meeting or exceeding the requirements. I will pay for one blade from each maker. I hope blade makers will write about it, I will test each one and write about them all here on TTD.

I made this thread to give blade makers on TTD a little more chance to be seen... and show what they can do... and I also wanted to add another 3-5 blades to my pile of dozens already I can use.

Blade makers, PM me if you want payment up front. You fail to deliver blade, the Goon Squad gunna get you. If you deliver blade and Der_Echte fails to pay... well you know where Der_Echte lives and the Goon Squad can visit his residence too. Jokes aside, let me know if you want up front payment and let me know the amount and exact email to send funds by paypal. I will send the full amount of funds promptly.

*** REQUIREMENTS ***

Cost: Shoot for the $100 point. I will pay some more if needed, since we only have 4 particiants and the same original budget that the Comptroller has not yet swept away. If you want to include bonus blade, go ahead, nate has done that in the past and if only he is allowed to do that, it would be seriously unfair. This is not a requirement, only something that I will not protest if you do it. If you do not work with paypal, PM me and we will figure it out.

Overall performance: Easy to spin. Top end speed in middle OFF to upper OFF range. Do not need a copy of a mainstream blade, I want this to be original by the maker. I do not want a vibrating earthquake machine of a blade. I do not want quick rebounding. I need dwell more than OFF++ power. In TT, I spin first and ask my questions later. I do NOT want a rock hard feel at impact. I want to feel the ball, not granite or cryptonite.

Blade Thickness: 5.5 to 6 mm ... I do not want to operate a 2x4 wood plank, just your average thickness of offensive blade. This is a wide range and should allow for a lot of different possible things.

Blade Dimensions: 158x150 mm in the shape of mainstrean blades, like say the TBS. Even though I like the Waldner shape, let's go easy and mainstream with the shape on these.

Blade Handle: I need a ST handle, I would NOT like it to be too oval shaped, closer to round shape or round/square shape. Will not demand an exact shape of the ST handle, I jsut do not want it real wide. I want the overall circumference to be 87mm throughout the handle length below the bottom of the blade where I grip the handle.. The handle pieces need to be 102 mm. I like something slightly longer than standard pieces (which are usually 100mm long). I need 102 mm long handle pieces pieces. I do not want hollow handles or throat, keep everything solid. Please do not poly seal the handle and make it all slippery, I hate that. You can prolly get what you want for looks with oil anyway. You wanna go rough and ready for handle? Great. You wanna sand it down real fine and oil it up, fine.

Handle Appearance: Use your creativity or just be plain jane. Use my personal traits and experiences for or against me if you want. You want to make that handle dark as the night and heavy as an anvil, go right ahead. I think the handle look is gunna be important, but you blade makers already get it more than I do. I am not gunna put a lot of restrictions on that handle, just keep everything solid.

Composition: 5 wood ply plus 2 composite (composite under outer veneer). Do NOT use just carbon. ALC is OK, Kevlar is OK, Any material you like is OK. (Chase, if you really hate on composite, make me the best 7 ply wood you can) Everyone else seems to have experience with composite... but if none are absolutely available in reasonable timeframe, go 7 ply wood. I want the outer ply to be koto if possible, if unavailable, then white ash or white limba... or whatever you have available that will help spin and is light in color. (no dark walnut/mohagany outer ply pls) I will not dictate the core or medial plies types nor the exact composite. I will not dictate the exact thickness of the plies. I would expect the outer ply to be thin enough to provide feel and easy spin... but you know how to do that, so no exact spec, just make it thin enough to feel that ball and spin it. It may be a thing - more different the better with materials so long as it has a ligher colored outer ply and performs in the neighborhood of my Overall Performance specs defined above. Again, I am not trying to copy a blade, but instead, put out my general preferances (except for handle - real specific there) and expect beauty and function.

Weight: 90-105 grams - I am known for operating some seriously heavy blades, but this weight range is my personal preference and I can operate most OFF blades in this range very well. This should be a wide enough range for the blade makers to do whatever they need.

Balance: Make balance reasonably low. I really hate on head heavy bats. I will not make a defined spec other than make balance low. You can do it with heavier handle materials, no real preference except do not comprimise on the mid to upper OFF performance of the blade to make a certain balance.

Appearance: Add stuff to the blade face if you wish or leave it blank - both are OK. Make whatever art and construction you want on blade handle. Prominately display your symbol and/or log and/or outfit name on the handle. If you want to assign a name to the blade (pls do not use Quarter Pounder Deluxe - it is already taken) and put that on one side of the blade face, that is good too, or just leave it blank, however you want to roll with that. It is known that I like to use the word "Pounder" in a blade name, but do what you feel is good to you. If you want your outfit name and/or graphic and/or city/state on the blade face... go for it if you want. If you want to put a small pic of something related to the name of the blade on the blade face, great... it is your chance to advertise. If you want to go total minimalist art, great. Use your skills and whatever you must use for this.

Well... that should be more than enough info needed to get this project moving.

Look forward to working with each of you. I expect this to be an epic thread and ALL the bldes to be Unique and well functioning.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
Sounds great! Very excited to get started on this challenge. 1 question: do you have a preference as to outer fiber vs inner fiber?

From what I see it looks like the outer he wants koto and then the composite under that making it an outer

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sounds great! Very excited to get started on this challenge. 1 question: do you have a preference as to outer fiber vs inner fiber?

Hi Silver,

This will be an "outer" composite blade with the composite material beneeth the outer veneer, not "inner" next to the core.

Thanks.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have experience with composites but I only use carbons. Are you stuck on the no carbon thing? I have a few different types to get different results.

Hi Chase,

I would like the composite to be somethng outher than solely carbon. If you have no composite material readily handy, then just make a great 7 ply wood blade.

I really dislike carbon as the sole composite material, I can deal with carbon as part of a composite if there is kevlar, arylate, etc with the carbon, or those composite materials without carbon.

Thanks.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Note to blade makers: make handle 85 grams, make rest of blade 15 grams. :)

Der: why do you want the top ply to be white? BLM wants to know? :)

Please no. I do not want the performance and feel to be greatly changed or sacraficed just to get balance rediculously low. I only wish to avoid a head heavy blade.

Carl is of course joking, but the days have arrived that if you go to an ice cream shop that is still open and ask for a vanilla ice cream cone, that some will work to get the R term hung on you, or if you ask for a mint milkshake, (which is green) that you get a quick rep of supporting alien invasion and get the sellout term hung on you.

Anyone look at who my friends are, who I associate with teh most, who I am married to, who I play TT with, who I bring on my missions, one will know where I stand.

The blade in my Sig, the "Quarter Pounder Deluxe" is a darkish brown black limba outer ply blade and I love it. The founders of BLM who have publically admitted to being trained Marxists can lick my nasty toe jam, I do not see them in Chicago defending the innocent 700+ unarmed people from their group murdered by their own group in Chicago alone last year.

Back to specs and clarification... the shade of mahogony that Silver used on one of his blades that is light brown in color looked good to me. The Japanese ash outer that had a even lighter shade looks good to me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Hi Chase,

I would like the composite to be somethng outher than solely carbon. If you have no composite material readily handy, then just make a great 7 ply wood blade.

I really dislike carbon as the sole composite material, I can deal with carbon as part of a composite if there is kevlar, arylate, etc with the carbon, or those composite materials without carbon.

Thanks.

*Redoing my reply as to not scare you with my original plan*
Okay I understand. I’ll see what I can do for you but I’m not a huge fan of a simple all wood 7 ply while others use composites. I was hoping I could make you something unique that could really display my knowledge and skills with blade making.

Reactions: thomas.pong
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

*Redoing my reply as to not scare you with my original plan*
Okay I understand. I’ll see what I can do for you but I’m not a huge fan of a simple all wood 7 ply while others use composites. I was hoping I could make you something unique that could really display my knowledge and skills with blade making.

Tell you what Chase,

As much as I dislike carbon as a sole layer, do something with it that will have it NOT act like what makes me dislike it. I dislike the hard feel, the quick rebound, the TONG kind of hollow sound, and dislike the higher speed to spin properties.

This exception will be for you only, but you can make up a name for your modified carbon that sounds cool, like say Baby Back Carbon or something. So, use carnn only as your composite, but modify it so it isn't something I dislike.

• Love
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.

Tell you what Chase,

As much as I dislike carbon as a sole layer, do something with it that will have it NOT act like what makes me dislike it. I dislike the hard feel, the quick rebound, the TONG kind of hollow sound, and dislike the higher speed to spin properties.

This exception will be for you only, but you can make up a name for your modified carbon that sounds cool, like say Baby Back Carbon or something. So, use carnn only as your composite, but modify it so it isn't something I dislike.

Oh yeah now we’re talking!