CCBladecraft: Blademaker Challenge

This user has no status.
I’ve decided to start my thread a little early as some people suggested they were curious about the process. There’s some things I’d like to keep as a surprise and other things I’ll share. I don’t want to ramble too much (I’m really good at that when it comes to blades) but I think something that would be cool to share is the making of a new blade. Not every blade a blademaker makes comes out as planned especially when working with new materials...like this.
2DE8EF6F-3BEA-4921-9B24-C6A450F4E02B.jpeg

D25E2BF2-6720-4070-96C7-84DA585BB3C0.jpeg

It’s a great blade but just a little slow for the speed requested. This prototype is an all+ and an awesome one it’s actually a blade I think I would play well with I always like a good mahogany core blade. Did I mention it’s 5w+4c? But wait 4 carbon? How could it be so slow...hmm

hinoki cypress-nano carbon- redwood-nano carbon-mahogany-nano carbon-redwood-nano carbon-hinoki cypress
101g
6.1mm

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Beautiful blade! I haven't seen a mahogany-core blade before, but I can imagine it feels very nice as long as you can keep the weight down (not a problem for Der_Echte, though). Those carbon layers are THIN! Do you think that swapping the redwood medial plies out for something livelier would get that blade up to the desired speed for the challenge?

This user has no status.
Beautiful blade! I haven't seen a mahogany-core blade before, but I can imagine it feels very nice as long as you can keep the weight down (not a problem for Der_Echte, though). Those carbon layers are THIN! Do you think that swapping the redwood medial plies out for something livelier would get that blade up to the desired speed for the challenge?

Thanks! Yeah the mahogany core is cool it’s different. Charlie gave me a few mahogany cores to play with and introduced me to the nano carbon which is hard to see next to darker woods like that redwood. I could swap redwood out with something else but I think I’ll go a different route and make another version of a blade that I make with uni carbon instead

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl gunna need to move his stakeout house No. 13 after these pics. :D
The goon squad is definitely circling and staking out the maker of a blade with dragon skin edge tape. :) No two ways about that.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
And BTW, if a blade maker already purchased materials and commited resources, then learns a certain deviation is authorized or even encouraged, that blademaker may or may not get a little upsset.

Don't sweat it, the government ALWAYS does this kind of stuff and you knew it was possible.

This user has no status.
Alrighty then! My blades are done. Wait a minute Chase did you say bladeS? Yeah why not. So before I post the pic here’s what happened. I didn’t like the part in the specs with composites. I certainly didn’t want to make an all wood 7 ply because well...that’s just not fun. So I talked to Der_Echte and decided I would go ahead and use my carbons. Now with my carbons they actually don’t stiffen the blade the blade as much as most other plain weaves do so in order to get the results I was looking for it had to be thicker. After sanding both blades to size they came out to offensive blades and I think it will be a surprise how these blades play and may even change some peoples perspective on carbon. Equipped them with some dragon skin as seen in the previous pic, black power dot, and custom butt button to recognize the “blademaker challenge”. On that note, Thankyou Der_Echte for giving myself and the other blade makers the opportunity to show off what we do, I think a lot of people have doubts about going handmade and to have someone buy and review blades from multiple blade makers is awesome. Hope you enjoy!

This user has no status.
9 ply
hinoki cypress-nano carbon-koto-nano carbon- kiri-nano carbon-koto-nano carbon- hinoki cypress
7mm
OFF 1406 Hz
Black and clear dragon skin
redheart handle
34F5E433-DBC2-40AD-A1B6-DA17FE21B479.jpeg
827F4108-0CDA-4104-A6C8-2CB640B590E7.jpeg

5 ply
hinoki cypress-uni carbon-kiri-uni carbon-hinoki cypress
96g
OFF 1406 Hz
Black and red dragon skin
redheart handle
1B4DFD4E-F877-4E70-88DE-E9A1B80775A3.jpeg

D90B004F-15EB-464F-9BF2-8DC4FDE22C1C.jpeg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Other blade makers are gunna be pissed off that I allowed Chase a large number of deviations and allowed him only to bend, break, or toss out rules, but what the heck, I am funding it and he asked.

Actually, I do not think other blade makers will not be pissed. I think everyone is gunna present something different in both end product and process... AND have a great story to tell. That is really why I did this balde fab challenge thing.

Chase is likely gunna deliver them Tuesday... IF there is time to glue on new sheets of MX-K and FX-S, then try it I will... if not, then oh well, there is always Friday.

This user has no status.
The dragon skin is one of the proprietary things Charlie has taught me so I’ve been sworn to secrecy. I can say it’s not cloth. It’s glued on with impact resistant glue to make it a hard shell which on this blade isn’t entirely necessary but it’s still a cool feature to have. Saves your balsa blades though!

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The dragon skin is one of the proprietary things Charlie has taught me so I’ve been sworn to secrecy. I can say it’s not cloth. It’s glued on with impact resistant glue to make it a hard shell which on this blade isn’t entirely necessary but it’s still a cool feature to have. Saves your balsa blades though!
Good to know, thank you.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
People are dying to know if DE stands for Deutschland (Germany) or Der_Echte... where is da Goon Squad right now?
And there was me thinking that the blade had already been named!!!

‘Dam Excellent’ or caution ‘Dangerous Equipment’ maybe ‘Damage Execution’ 😀😀!!!!