Blade Makers' Challenge - SDC Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
As for the process, I purposely ran this like a classic military operational leadership. (at least the version of my vision of that)

How? I gave the situation, the desired outcome, and a few specific requirements... clarified questions, then got out of the way. I purposely DID NOT be over-burdonsome with requirements of every aspect - the blade makers needed a chance to demnstrate (not to me) to the public they are legit badd-azz. Thgey do not need me to take away their initiative and creativity to achieve the end state.

At least I always hoped every commander would operate that way when there ae PLENTY of experienced skilled operators in the group. These blade makers are exactly that, so why get in their way>

Commanders command (and do not / should not micromanage), Operators operate and get the mission done with their leaders, Senior Operators advise Commanders, Combat Support provides support. Easy concepts if run right in the proper spirit.
The way it should be done.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Waiting is OVER and I had several hours hit using the SPARTAN...

Several of the Goon Squad tried to get that thing from me, it looked that good.

For real, everyone really could appreciate the art of that handle.

... but that blade wasn't about how the handle looked... the handle is a very important part of the blade for feeling hte ball and getting leverage. All I can say about that handle is it FEELS RIGHT. I am glad I experimented enough with Nate's blades and discovered the shape and circumferance I like. Segio nailed this handle.

Another important part of the handle is the composition and balance. Blade handle is heavier than most and makes the solid feel at impact plus the low balance... under-discussed aspect is shape and how one can leverage the whip at the end, this handle has it.

You do NOT feel the composite on this blade, but you know it is there doing its thing. As expected, this blade is very easy to do the shots I do the most with feel, on low to medium impacts is OFF zone, which is a millimeter slower thn Nate's MAU, on top end it has extra gear going into the low end of OFF+ similar to Nate's MAU.

I was able to spin heavy easily, was able to counter strong, and able to change spins easier than many blades. I cannot ask for much more out of a blade. It has the weight, balance, solid feel and good feedback, easy spin, slightly higher throw on slow topspins (LIKE) and ease to vary all the shots. When I pound it off a blcok or a counter-crush shot, that ball can really GO. Large sweet spot and great feedback.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Waiting is OVER and I had several hours hit using the SPARTAN...

Several of the Goon Squad tried to get that thing from me, it looked that good.

For real, everyone really could appreciate the art of that handle.

... but that blade wasn't about how the handle looked... the handle is a very important part of the blade for feeling hte ball and getting leverage. All I can say about that handle is it FEELS RIGHT. I am glad I experimented enough with Nate's blades and discovered the shape and circumferance I like. Segio nailed this handle.

Another important part of the handle is the composition and balance. Blade handle is heavier than most and makes the solid feel at impact plus the low balance... under-discussed aspect is shape and how one can leverage the whip at the end, this handle has it.

You do NOT feel the composite on this blade, but you know it is there doing its thing. As expected, this blade is very easy to do the shots I do the most with feel, on low to medium impacts is OFF zone, which is a millimeter slower thn Nate's MAU, on top end it has extra gear going into the low end of OFF+ similar to Nate's MAU.

I was able to spin heavy easily, was able to counter strong, and able to change spins easier than many blades. I cannot ask for much more out of a blade. It has the weight, balance, solid feel and good feedback, easy spin, slightly higher throw on slow topspins (LIKE) and ease to vary all the shots. When I pound it off a blcok or a counter-crush shot, that ball can really GO. Large sweet spot and great feedback.

Thanks for the review Der, I'm glad to hear the blade not only has the looks, but delivers on the table as well.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For the most part, I do like simple handles where the plies run all the way through the length of the handle. But Hipnotic is so good at making handles with complex designs that, there are times when that kind of thing can be okay. The warrior mask of the Spartan blade is awesome. Also how the design gets the extra weight as low as possible.

Fun to see how both Hipnotic and Nate chose different ways to get that done and still got it done. :)

Reactions: hipnotic
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Will have another hit with the SPARTAN toinite.

Also got my shipment from Nexy Korea containing samples of the new Nexy Rubber ETIKA about to go on market. Received a couple ALC Blades nexy/Value Win COUGAR, will slap on the 47 and 51 degree sheets and see how that puppy barks too.

Even if newer gen rubbers did not come out, I could function just fine with "old" tech like 05FX or the Evo series of Tibhar.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Will have another hit with the SPARTAN toinite.

Also got my shipment from Nexy Korea containing samples of the new Nexy Rubber ETIKA about to go on market. Received a couple ALC Blades nexy/Value Win COUGAR, will slap on the 47 and 51 degree sheets and see how that puppy barks too.

Even if newer gen rubbers did not come out, I could function just fine with "old" tech like 05FX or the Evo series of Tibhar.

I had a blade here with the same composition as your's for quite some time (although not as heavy). After your review I decided to try it and I must agree with everything you said. I'm my opinion it pairs well with harder rubbers so the ETIKA will fit like a glove.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I may try the Etika on your blade soon. I want to try my standard MX-K and FX-S combo on that blade, an $80 retail blade to see a little more about the blade, but right away, I can tell even 51 degree Etika is one damn good dynamic rubber. With your "Heavier" 105g blade, I think I should be able to pound it quite well with Etika on the Spartan... maybe better than the Cougar as cougar was "only" 89 grams.

Reactions: latej
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Confirmed Etika 51 degree on the SPARTAN is a TOTAL BEAST MODE.

Etika is built as a low arc rubber, many of my topspins are high arc.. but my finish from a block or my counter-atack vs a loop are NOT high arc... ball flies fast and drops off a cliff... hits table and stays low and goes down. Difficult to counter or block that second powerloop ball. Extreme dynamic rubber on this blade and that power impact.

195 gram battle weight of blade is confirmed. Just beginning to enter my comfort zone of weight.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Confirmed Etika 51 degree on the SPARTAN is a TOTAL BEAST MODE.

Etika is built as a low arc rubber, many of my topspins are high arc.. but my finish from a block or my counter-atack vs a loop are NOT high arc... ball flies fast and drops off a cliff... hits table and stays low and goes down. Difficult to counter or block that second powerloop ball. Extreme dynamic rubber on this blade and that power impact.

195 gram battle weight of blade is confirmed. Just beginning to enter my comfort zone of weight.

195g is still a very acceptable weight. Is the rubber light?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My rubbers cut weight around 45-46 grams each usually... I call that a medium weight.

As long as the weight is well distributed and balance is not forward, I can play with just about any weight, but the offensive setups that start weighing 190g plus - increasingly, those feel better and better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My rubbers cut weight around 45-46 grams each usually... I call that a medium weight.

As long as the weight is well distributed and balance is not forward, I can play with just about any weight, but the offensive setups that start weighing 190g plus - increasingly, those feel better and better.

Oh ok, I just thought a 51º rubber would be a bit heavier.