Blade Makers' Challenge - Nate

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
2) I'm not a fan of using pieces of wood for the handle that don't travel the entire length of the handle
I just wanted to come back to this comment. I 100% agree with this. I prefer simple designs that let the wood speak for itself.

As an example:

2ffcce9ceec61ddd22eb905822923a37.jpg

f008dfe602e861416dbc31ba13a2bcea.jpg

0f82133a33e2bae5c29ff274d3211037.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

Echte! Will wi get a a combined thread there you compare and review the blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Carl likes things trumping things.

Nate sent the blade, so at Russian Church, I should get a hit.

Have not finalized the name, but since this sucka came in significantly heavier than expected, something like below could work.

Heavy Handed H-Bomb
It's looking like it should get in tomorrow (Wednesday, April 14th)! If you're keeping with the McDonald's menu naming theme, I think you should name it "40 piece Chicken McNuggets".

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Nate... the naming convention isn't really along the lines of McD sandwiches... where I got the pounder theme from is from one of their sandwiches, yet not really connected to their line.

American Football has a team whose radio announces put a spotlight on ground running plays where the ofense really pounds the defense on a play and they use the McD Quarter Pounder as a commercial sponser... it makes sense there... so I integrated that concept into my TT commentary at the clubs and meetups... so when someone made a powerful FH shot I would say something like "Dude on Table 2 just force fed dude a QUARTER POUNDER to win a point" or something like that... usually hilarious... so I carried that theme over to blades.

Usually, I am inclined to name something to give it an aura of power... but power isn't everything... I might end up naming the blade the MAYTAG SPIN CYCLE.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Blade came in. Took a few pics. Pics show up on thread when viewed with Talpatalk, but not broowser on Laptop.

First sense, man the handle looks puny, but isn't. The finish is where Nate really stepped up, am almost reluctant to glue on rubbers and ruin the fine soft smooth surface. Clean lines. Zero rough areas anywhere. Everything correctly rounded.

Might need to add another name to the picking list.

THE SMOOTH OPERATOR

a2aa9ab3f308bbd774c438e8136526bd.jpg
b0a5ca2de22566b5d54488db94a7e3b9.jpg
88d0085a6682006fc66902e0734b352e.jpg

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Whopper with Cheese. :)

Back in the day, if Phil Rizzuto had been the announcer he might have said: "extra mustard on that hot-dog!" :)

Back in the day, before high tech graphics, he used to take one of the packets of mustard they used at Yankee Stadium and put it in the projector over the guy he was calling a hot-dog! hahahahaha.

Sometimes he said "relish" instead of mustard! And, of course he had a packet of relish for that call. :)

Spin Cycle looks like a good name for the Nate blade though. Then he will have made the spin machine and the spin cycle.

Of course there may be a Filet O' Fish for a blade that allows you to cut your opponent to ribbons.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Blade came in. Took a few pics. Pics show up on thread when viewed with Talpatalk, but not broowser on Laptop.

First sense, man the handle looks puny, but isn't. The finish is where Nate really stepped up, am almost reluctant to glue on rubbers and ruin the fine soft smooth surface. Clean lines. Zero rough areas anywhere. Everything correctly rounded.

Might need to add another name to the picking list.

THE SMOOTH OPERATOR
I'm excited for you to slap some rubber sheets onto the blade and find out how she plays!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, Smooth Operator, Maytag Spin Cycle, Heavy Destruction, or Mass Annihilation Unit is not gunna be in action until Friday evening.

I am sure it will live up to any and all of the names. The Chase built DE Ground Pounder has been living up to its name at mid distance, this one could too, I feel it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, Smooth Operator, Maytag Spin Cycle, Heavy Destruction, or Mass Annihilation Unit is not gunna be in action until Friday evening.

I am sure it will live up to any and all of the names. The Chase built DE Ground Pounder has been living up to its name at mid distance, this one could too, I feel it.
hahahahahahaha.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Adding pics once again to make sure they are visible.

174260826_10225188150989207_2126499554746946854_n.jpg

174174451_10225188151229213_778950555458068083_n.jpg

173837313_10225188151469219_5516024916223349766_n.jpg

That handle is sneaky. It does have the appearance of being smaller than it is as a result of how Nate designed it to be heavier further down. Sweet. Smooth Deception. :) Oh, is it Smooth Operator? :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
First feedback is the blade COULD have ANY of those 4 names I proposed... it did all those things. Mostly, I was consistent, the best quality of all... but it wasn't only consistency, it was consistency with high quality shot attempts that were not just attempts.

Overall, it did NOT feel like a composite blade, that was the overall goal - OFF or so performance with feel that is not carbon... and some possible low end OFF+ action when I crank it.

Got MANY balls blocked long and out. Made MANY plays accross many kinds of shots I normally use. Easy to spin, feel was overall similar to the koto blades, but a little crisp with enough softness. Easy to hit direct shots. Easy to take off spin. Easy to receive serves. Easy to powerloop.

This blade nailed all the things I wanted to do in terms of performance and feel. You would need to operate it yourself to really get it. This thing had the smoothest edes and face of a blade I have never held. Handle heavy in the right way. Blade felt lighter than the listed correct 212 grams. With new rubbers glued on - the standard MX-K and FX-S combo, blade weighed 208+ grams and felt just as light as a 180s gram blade.

Counter drive or counter loop an incoming topsin it had another top gear over Nate's previous heavy wood blades, and that is including the Quarter Pounder Deluxe.

Blade lived up to moniker of Mass Annihilation Unit - did not lose any of my 5 doubles matches and we swithched partners. Offense was Destructive and ball landed high percentage.

I was very happy with any of the last 10 blades I got from Nate.. and COULD play my level with any of them. However, this blade feels even more of a winner.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Forgot to mention Scoobie Doo Sergey Tsos 2100+ dude had some time operating it... had pretty much same impressions I did... loved it despite the weight, because balance and feel were there...

Oh, he almost didn't believe it was a composite blade !! It had close enough feel to prior OFF 7 ply 100g+ blades, but a little sharper and faster... still had spin. Sergey could add and take away spin SO DAMN EASY when he operated this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
First feedback is the blade COULD have ANY of those 4 names I proposed... it did all those things. Mostly, I was consistent, the best quality of all... but it wasn't only consistency, it was consistency with high quality shot attempts that were not just attempts.

Overall, it did NOT feel like a composite blade, that was the overall goal - OFF or so performance with feel that is not carbon... and some possible low end OFF+ action when I crank it.

Got MANY balls blocked long and out. Made MANY plays accross many kinds of shots I normally use. Easy to spin, feel was overall similar to the koto blades, but a little crisp with enough softness. Easy to hit direct shots. Easy to take off spin. Easy to receive serves. Easy to powerloop.

This blade nailed all the things I wanted to do in terms of performance and feel. You would need to operate it yourself to really get it. This thing had the smoothest edes and face of a blade I have never held. Handle heavy in the right way. Blade felt lighter than the listed correct 212 grams. With new rubbers glued on - the standard MX-K and FX-S combo, blade weighed 208+ grams and felt just as light as a 180s gram blade.

Counter drive or counter loop an incoming topsin it had another top gear over Nate's previous heavy wood blades, and that is including the Quarter Pounder Deluxe.

Blade lived up to moniker of Mass Annihilation Unit - did not lose any of my 5 doubles matches and we swithched partners. Offense was Destructive and ball landed high percentage.

I was very happy with any of the last 10 blades I got from Nate.. and COULD play my level with any of them. However, this blade feels even more of a winner.
Thanks for all that feedback! I'm thrilled that it performed as well as I hoped it would.

Reactions: thomas.pong