Blade Makers' Challenge - Nate

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I mean it for real, any of those wood blades, even the heavy 5 ply... even the 114 gram Qtr-Pounder D-Lux... all had the feel I needed and sufficient power. Middle to upper OFF zone on top end is PLENTY of power for most offensive players... actually many blades in that zone are too fast as it is too rebounding and not enough feel.

NOT the issue with Nate's last dozen. THIS blade, the MASS ANNIHILATION UNIT, a real Smooth Operator capable of dropping Heavy H-Bombs can really toos that opponent into the Maytag Spin Cycle and forget about 'em.

This blade did NOT lose feel or perception of control on the shots I count the most - Open HEAVY spin slow ball vs underspin, flip serves, touch serves short, Counter vs incoming topspin, and everyone's favorite - go FULL BALLISTIC to finish with a punishing powerloop.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looks like a got a passel of Goon Squad after me and Nate's KC 7 ply blade (and earlier gen wood blades).

Sergey can change spins at will with it. Top player in this city borrowed it and asked if I did Jedi Mind Trick on him - he is gunna sign a hand receipt for the blade this evening before I give multiball... Another 2 local players are wanting the earlier gen all wood 7 ply blades - DESPITE the 100g+ weight.

Our city's top player did his arsenal of shots, he plays mostly all round retrieving, chopping, lobbing, attack at table occasionally and counterloop occasionally... I did not tell him the weight of blade or bat... which is 112g for blade and 208.5 for bat with rubbers. I took a long time explaining how weight low helps, how solid helps, how the SHAPE of handle, the CIRCUMFERENCE of handle matters a lot... and how it can positively affect teh whip at end of shot to make spin and also for feel. That top player really liked those concepts and it got him to thinking what is right for his hand.

I discovered 87 to 88 mm circumference, rounder shape for ST handle, 102 mm long provide me a very effective secure grip, control of grip, and leverage for whip.

Players should discover what dimensions and construction works for them. Players normally will NOT be able to do that from any brand maker mass producing a blade. It is NOT feasbale to believe that one ST handle shape/size will be optimal or even appropriate for everyone. I believe this is something a player must try different size/shape and learn for self what is good for them. This will not happen with a major or minor brand unfortunately.

I will miss the availablity of the Mass Annihilation Unit tonite, but when I sign the accountable property over to the to player tonite, I will tell him the blade name is Smooth Operator... but that will give me more time for Jin's BLUE ABYSS to spin it up and counter topspin oponents back through the wall. I will likely be mostly focusing on teaching/sharing serve, but of course there will be topspins, woldn't be complete without that, but many neglect serve and return practice.

• Love
Reactions: Nate4s
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Confirm that our city's top player kidnapped the MAU and it is in his possession. He glued on a sheet of D09C on BH and after bumps in warmup, when he played match, totally did what he wanted and liked it, he is keeping the blade for now to try further. I asked nate to make another just in case our city's top player locks that joker in a safe.

• Love
Reactions: Nate4s