Nittaku Hurricane 3 National blue sponge

This user has no status.
I don´t know if this has been posted yet, buuuuut I happened to stumble upon this:

https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=4915

and subsequently this:

https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6&products_id=4904

I knew Nittaku collaborates frequently with DHS and I have tried their Ma Long Carbon as well as their version of H3 neo but this is still quite surprising to me since these seem to be 1 to 1 copies of the genuine thing?

It´s funny since I am playing the H3 nat blue( non neo) on my Fh.

What´s your take on this? Are DHS simply ditching their old, non neo, stock and making money from them?

Tell me what you think

Peace!

Reactions: ttarc
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I don´t know if this has been posted yet, buuuuut I happened to stumble upon this:

https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=4915

and subsequently this:

https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6&products_id=4904

I knew Nittaku collaborates frequently with DHS and I have tried their Ma Long Carbon as well as their version of H3 neo but this is still quite surprising to me since these seem to be 1 to 1 copies of the genuine thing?

What´s your take on this? Are DHS simply ditching their old, non neo, stock and making money from them?

Tell me what you think

Peace!
[h1]HURRICANE 3 NATIONAL RUBBER BLUE SPONGE[/h1][h2]12,000円[/h2]don't know about "Ditching"" not exactly a bargain price , or is it ???

This user has no status.
[h1]HURRICANE 3 NATIONAL RUBBER BLUE SPONGE[/h1][h2]12,000円[/h2]don't know about "Ditching"" not exactly a bargain price , or is it ???

Ditching in a sense that Dhs sells their leftover H3 stock to Nittaku for them to sell since Dhs wants to sell more Neos.

So Its a Win/Win for Dhs and depending on the products success also for Nittaku.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

and subsequently this:

Tell me what you think

Peace!

My two cts:

It is great coz I am using Nittaku H3 Pro Turbo Blue Sponge and it is cheaper than DHS H3 National Blue sponge. What is there not to like? I love the Nittaku's version coz it is still tacky ( aged well like old wine ) and I have had it since early 2020. No doubt I seldom play with it in 2020 due to the Covid Lockdown and only recently restart my TT activity due to easing of the movement restriction. The tackiness is still very much there...

This user has no status.

My two cts:

It is great coz I am using Nittaku H3 Pro Turbo Blue Sponge and it is cheaper than DHS H3 National Blue sponge. What is there not to like? I love the Nittaku's version coz it is still tacky ( aged well like old wine ) and I have had it since early 2020. No doubt I seldom play with it in 2020 due to the Covid Lockdown and only recently restart my TT activity due to easing of the movement restriction. The tackiness is still very much there...

I´ve also tried a few sheets of the H3 Ptb but the sponge is just too hard for me to engage properly.
I´m quite content with my h3 39 deg and thats where the problems start:
Nowhere on the packaging of Nittaku´s version it is mentioned what hardness the sponge has, as well as the thickness.

To my mind, a manufacturer/company cannot sell a premium rubber such as this for about 120$ and not give the full specs of the purchased sheet.
Even more so since nowadays one can even preselect commercial hurricanes.

This user has no status.

Yes, I believe that happend with the same wave the new, public W968 came in, which is, as well as these rubbers are, now publicly available at sites like yours or TT11.
That doesn´t explain the unlabeled Nittaku version though.

Ps. Why is that W968 version so cheap? Around 240 Euros...
http://tennisdiscount.eu/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1353

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I wrote about it a month ago. There is a growing market in Japan and South Korea. Not long ago, DHS couldn't even produce enough for the domestic market.

Anyway. The white package BS H3 comes with a 42.5° sponge.

BTW, Turbo Orange and Turbo Blue have Japanese sponge instead.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I wrote about it a month ago.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?24916-Why-are-rubbers-so-expensive&p=340149&viewfull=1#post340149

There is a growing market in Japan and South Korea. Not long ago, DHS couldn't even produce enough for the domestic market.

Thats interesting, thx!

However, why the Nittaku version? If they have the production and the demand in Japan/Korea, why not set up shop there themselves?
Then they wouldn´t have to give Nittaku a cut and its not like they´re new to the market and need the brand recognition.

Mar 2021

I´ve also tried a few sheets of the H3 Ptb but the sponge is just too hard for me to engage properly.
I´m quite content with my h3 39 deg and thats where the problems start:
Nowhere on the packaging of Nittaku´s version it is mentioned what hardness the sponge has, as well as the thickness.

To my mind, a manufacturer/company cannot sell a premium rubber such as this for about 120$ and not give the full specs of the purchased sheet.
Even more so since nowadays one can even preselect commercial hurricanes.

You need to tune it to get it to work at our non-professional level because we are not Ma Long or Fan Zhendong.

I read it somewhere in this forum, Nittaku H3 PTB sponge hardness is 43.5 degree hardness ( DHS scale ). I could be wrong though, but it is definitely a hard rubber and not for the faint hearted. However on my personal experience, it is a joy to loop away from table with this rubber. It has low throw and fast, spiny loop and it will feedback to you if your stroke is lazy.

This user has no status.

You need to tune it to get it to work at our non-professional level because we are not Ma Long or Fan Zhendong.

I read it somewhere in this forum, Nittaku H3 PTB sponge hardness is 43.5 degree hardness ( DHS scale ). I could be wrong though, but it is definitely a hard rubber and not for the faint hearted. However on my personal experience, it is a joy to loop away from table with this rubber. It has low throw and fast, spiny loop and it will feedback to you if your stroke is lazy.

Sounds about right, it´s about 60 deg esn.
But keep in mind even Ma Long, the absolute unit, plays a 42 deg h3 which is boosted to hell, so how is a mere mortal supposed to play a 43.5 deg rubber even if it´s boosted?

A 39 deg blue sponge H3 prov/nat on a fast blade like my Apolonia however is playable without any booster whatsoever and still scares many opponents :)

Jan 2018

Thats interesting, thx!

However, why the Nittaku version? If they have the production and the demand in Japan/Korea, why not set up shop there themselves?
Then they wouldn´t have to give Nittaku a cut and its not like they´re new to the market and need the brand recognition.

For Japan, the JTTA used to require the JTTAA stamp for rubbers. That's the reason behind the Nittaku Hurricane 2/3 and Nittaku Hurricane Pro 2/3. The requirement had been removed when Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange/Turbo Blue were released, but it's become some sort of a tradition since Nittaku first imported the DHS PF4 in the '80s.

Long story short, DHS and Nittaku have a long and really close relationship. They have a joint venture in China. I guess DHS also owns a part of Nittaku.

This user has no status.
For Japan, the JTTA used to require the JTTAA stamp for rubbers. That's the reason behind the Nittaku Hurricane 2/3 and Nittaku Hurricane Pro 2/3. The requirement had been removed when Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange/Turbo Blue were released, but it's become some sort of a tradition since Nittaku first imported the DHS PF4 in the '80s.

Long story short, DHS and Nittaku have a long and really close relationship. They have a joint venture in China. I guess DHS also owns a part of Nittaku.

Well that answers all my questions! (except how someone without legs for arms is supposed to play a 43 deg rubber)

Zeio to the rescue.

Peace!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I wrote about it a month ago. There is a growing market in Japan and South Korea. Not long ago, DHS couldn't even produce enough for the domestic market.

Anyway. The white package BS H3 comes with a 42.5° sponge.

BTW, Turbo Orange and Turbo Blue have Japanese sponge instead.

Would you say the sponge on these Nittaku Turbo H3s has bigger pores than the chinese original?

Edit: on the image it looks it could have, but nothing definitive.

Last edited:
Mar 2021

But keep in mind even Ma Long, the absolute unit, plays a 42 deg h3 which is boosted to hell, so how is a mere mortal supposed to play a 43.5 deg rubber even if it´s boosted?

A 39 deg blue sponge H3 prov/nat on a fast blade like my Apolonia however is playable without any booster whatsoever and still scares many opponents :)

My opinion; very hard tacky rubber is best paired it with slower blade like Stiga All Round Classic to get the best kick & spin effect.

Your milage may vary...

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

The Bluegrip C1 is ESN 60 too but it doesn't feel rock hard. The H3 H41, which probably when table-translated would be less than 60, feels denser. Hard to say for me if it is harder, it feels denser, I prefer that. So these numbers, I am not sure it says so much. If Nittaku H3 is 43.5 but has different sponge, it may not feel so hard at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

I think Nittaku Japan uses a different hardness scale than in Europe. E.g. https://www.nittaku.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/aace22023762f51399f1a5fb723ac6de.pdf lists the FastArc G-1 with 37.5° (47.5 ESN) and both Nittaku H3 National Blue Sponge and Nittaku H3 (Provincial) Neo (NR-8701) with 42.5° so I would guess that these 42.5° translate to 52.5° ESN or around 39.5° DHS maybe a bit softer according to some reviews.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.

Donow, for me harder rubbers are easier to play than soft rubbers.......................

Generally speaking, that is true for me too...but not beyond a certain threshhold
Would you say the sponge on these Nittaku Turbo H3s has bigger pores than the chinese original?

Edit: on the image it looks it could have, but nothing definitive.
Id say its the other way around judging by how much the pro turbo rubbers weigh.

At the same size they are way heavier than the chinese original which indicates a higher density

My opinion; very hard tacky rubber is best paired it with slower blade like Stiga All Round Classic to get the best kick & spin effect.

Your milage may vary...

I´d say they´re best paired with a blade that has soft top plies to generate the most anmount of spin and dwell --> Limba Limba = optimal
The Bluegrip C1 is ESN 60 too but it doesn't feel rock hard. The H3 H41, which probably when table-translated would be less than 60, feels denser. Hard to say for me if it is harder, it feels denser, I prefer that. So these numbers, I am not sure it says so much. If Nittaku H3 is 43.5 but has different sponge, it may not feel so hard at all.
I´m pretty sure it uses the normal DHS blue sponge which at that hardness is an absolute brick.

The highest I´ve seen a Cnt member go on sponge hardness is 42,5 and if it really is the same sponge, that should indicate how unplayable it should be on paper.
I think Nittaku Japan uses a different hardness scale than in Europe. E.g. https://www.nittaku.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/aace22023762f51399f1a5fb723ac6de.pdf lists the FastArc G-1 with 37.5° (47.5 ESN) and both Nittaku H3 National Blue Sponge and Nittaku H3 (Provincial) Neo (NR-8701) with 42.5° so I would guess that these 42.5° translate to 52.5° ESN or around 39.5° DHS maybe a bit softer according to some reviews.

I know that they have their own scale and in this case it would make sense if their rubbers were labeled at 42.5 Shore(whatever Nittaku uses) scale and not at 43.5 DHS scale.

Another problem is though, that these scales don´t seem to translate linearly which makes it a whole lot harder to actually compare the hardness.