New market for Butterfly: Vintage Reissue models

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Clickbait intended, but I'm quite sure they'll do it.

Timo Boll has been seen using his old trusty Viscaria ST Black Tag during the TTBL PLay-Offs. Makes sense, and it's clever than XuXin because both are changing their style to play more closed to the table. While Xu Xin has obviously choosen the wrong blade with a too much fast one for him, Timo Boll has choosen a softer one. It has been discussed already that older black tag viscarias were less faster then the new series. So as a a human using simple logic, he has choosen a blade that would keep the same overall characteristics as his signature blade, but more controllable closed to the table.

And as it's Timo Boll, Butterfly's iconic player, be sure they'll do everything possible to market that move. It's quite common in the music industry: vintage reissues of 50's - 60's - 70's models are the most sought after instruments, Fender is the n°1 brand in that case. And it makes money ! I mean really big money !

Timo Boll and his BT Viscaria VS JO Waldner in 2000
And... back with it in 2021

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I haven't been able to get a look at the blade Boll used VS Kozul (although I did watch the match) but the main German forum is saying that he's using a Primorac Carbon to make up for the loss of speed from using the trackier 09c rubbers.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thought a harder blade would suit better close to the table?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
In a german forum Timo says that he just switched to a Primorac Carbon after he noticed that Jonathan Groth (with his new Primorac Carbon) played with much more power against him in the Champions League semi-finale. As he had several health problems in the last months and therefore not enough strength and power in his game, he decided to switch also to the Primorac Carbon for the moment. But he says that he will switch back to the ALC if he has enough power again, because the ALC gives him more options than the Primorac Carbon.

https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=1969&page=1322

This statement is only a few days old. Therefore I am sure that he is not playing with Viscaria in the moment.

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
He told it with his very own account on the German forum.
translation: after doing the „fastest vs slowest racket“ video, I recognized that the Primorac carbon fits my current needs pretty well. So I decided to stick to it for a while. This is especially because I was injured in the last months and the additional speed of the blade helps me to counter my physical problems. As soon as I recover I will most probably switch back to alc, as it offers more options.

Music&Ping;343184 said:
Clickbait intended, but I'm quite sure they'll do it.

Timo Boll has been seen using his old trusty Viscaria ST Black Tag during the TTBL PLay-Offs. Makes sense, and it's clever than XuXin because both are changing their style to play more closed to the table. While Xu Xin has obviously choosen the wrong blade with a too much fast one for him, Timo Boll has choosen a softer one. It has been discussed already that older black tag viscarias were less faster then the new series. So as a a human using simple logic, he has choosen a blade that would keep the same overall characteristics as his signature blade, but more controllable closed to the table.

And as it's Timo Boll, Butterfly's iconic player, be sure they'll do everything possible to market that move. It's quite common in the music industry: vintage reissues of 50's - 60's - 70's models are the most sought after instruments, Fender is the n°1 brand in that case. And it makes money ! I mean really big money !

Timo Boll and his BT Viscaria VS JO Waldner in 2000
And... back with it in 2021
Ahhh Waldner from the end days, before they destroyed the game...
I really really miss those days...

Cheers
L-zr

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Cool to see some pros including Timo go back to the old Tamca 5000, makes sense as they're using spinnier but slower rubbers (D09C), so they can back them up with more power.

Looks like he made a quick change, but he could stick with it and just have Butterfly customize it with TB ALC handle...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
but he could stick with it and just have Butterfly customize it with TB ALC handle...
Yeah, but you know they would eventually release a brand new "Timo Boll Hinoki Carbon" instead ;)

In his posts he mentioned that for NOW - being injured and not able to play quality topspins - the Primorac Carbon offers some support, but is also more difficult to control at times. He admits to being so frustrated that he made a "what the hell" blade change, and is unsure this will last.

But I like this attitude, even a pro of this calibre might at some point just look for redemption through change of material.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yeah, but you know they would eventually release a brand new "Timo Boll Hinoki Carbon" instead ;)

In his posts he mentioned that for NOW - being injured and not able to play quality topspins - the Primorac Carbon offers some support, but is also more difficult to control at times. He admits to being so frustrated that he made a "what the hell" blade change, and is unsure this will last.

But I like this attitude, even a pro of this calibre might at some point just look for redemption through change of material.
Yea, I love it even if it's temporary. If he really were to change, I could totally see Butterfly use that as an opportunity to market a new premium Timo blade like you said! Haha.

Do you have the link to his post?