Back to Forum
    says Dis donc !!

Advanced TTD Member 160 246
    says Dis donc !!

Advanced TTD Member 246 160

New market for Butterfly: Vintage Reissue models

Clickbait intended, but I'm quite sure they'll do it.

Timo Boll has been seen using his old trusty Viscaria ST Black Tag during the TTBL PLay-Offs. Makes sense, and it's clever than XuXin because both are changing their style to play more closed to the table. While Xu Xin has obviously choosen the wrong blade with a too much fast one for him, Timo Boll has choosen a softer one. It has been discussed already that older black tag viscarias were less faster then the new series. So as a a human using simple logic, he has choosen a blade that would keep the same overall characteristics as his signature blade, but more controllable closed to the table.

And as it's Timo Boll, Butterfly's iconic player, be sure they'll do everything possible to market that move. It's quite common in the music industry: vintage reissues of 50's - 60's - 70's models are the most sought after instruments, Fender is the n°1 brand in that case. And it makes money ! I mean really big money !

Timo Boll and his BT Viscaria VS JO Waldner in 2000
    And... back with it in 2021
    Last edited by Music&Ping; 1 Week Ago at 04:12 PM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 120 157
    S
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 157 120

User Info Menu

Apr 2020
    Scotland
    Read 0 Reviews
    I haven't been able to get a look at the blade Boll used VS Kozul (although I did watch the match) but the main German forum is saying that he's using a Primorac Carbon to make up for the loss of speed from using the trackier 09c rubbers.

The Following User Likes SofaChamp's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,319 1,567
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,567 1,319

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thought a harder blade would suit better close to the table?

The Following User Likes Lula's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

TTD Member 83 94
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 94 83

User Info Menu

Sep 2016
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    In a german forum Timo says that he just switched to a Primorac Carbon after he noticed that Jonathan Groth (with his new Primorac Carbon) played with much more power against him in the Champions League semi-finale. As he had several health problems in the last months and therefore not enough strength and power in his game, he decided to switch also to the Primorac Carbon for the moment. But he says that he will switch back to the ALC if he has enough power again, because the ALC gives him more options than the Primorac Carbon.

https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread....1969&page=1322

This statement is only a few days old. Therefore I am sure that he is not playing with Viscaria in the moment.

The Following User Likes Magic_M's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

TTD Member 45 68
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 68 45

User Info Menu

Nov 2018
    Read 0 Reviews
    Any photos? TIMO really using the primorac?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 63 99
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 99 63

User Info Menu

Feb 2019
    Germany
    Read 2 Reviews
    He told it with his very own account on the German forum.
    translation: after doing the „fastest vs slowest racket“ video, I recognized that the Primorac carbon fits my current needs pretty well. So I decided to stick to it for a while. This is especially because I was injured in the last months and the additional speed of the blade helps me to counter my physical problems. As soon as I recover I will most probably switch back to alc, as it offers more options.

The Following User Likes Creek's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 79 188
    L
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 188 79
    Quote Originally Posted by Music&Ping
    Clickbait intended, but I'm quite sure they'll do it.

Timo Boll has been seen using his old trusty Viscaria ST Black Tag during the TTBL PLay-Offs. Makes sense, and it's clever than XuXin because both are changing their style to play more closed to the table. While Xu Xin has obviously choosen the wrong blade with a too much fast one for him, Timo Boll has choosen a softer one. It has been discussed already that older black tag viscarias were less faster then the new series. So as a a human using simple logic, he has choosen a blade that would keep the same overall characteristics as his signature blade, but more controllable closed to the table.

And as it's Timo Boll, Butterfly's iconic player, be sure they'll do everything possible to market that move. It's quite common in the music industry: vintage reissues of 50's - 60's - 70's models are the most sought after instruments, Fender is the n°1 brand in that case. And it makes money ! I mean really big money !

Timo Boll and his BT Viscaria VS JO Waldner in 2000
    And... back with it in 2021
    Ahhh Waldner from the end days, before they destroyed the game...
    I really really miss those days...

Cheers
    L-zr

The Following 2 Users Like Lazer's Post:

thomas.pong and Tinykin

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 747 1,597
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,597 747
    Cool to see some pros including Timo go back to the old Tamca 5000, makes sense as they're using spinnier but slower rubbers (D09C), so they can back them up with more power.

Looks like he made a quick change, but he could stick with it and just have Butterfly customize it with TB ALC handle...

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 868 1,227
    A
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,227 868

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.pong
    but he could stick with it and just have Butterfly customize it with TB ALC handle...
    Yeah, but you know they would eventually release a brand new "Timo Boll Hinoki Carbon" instead

In his posts he mentioned that for NOW - being injured and not able to play quality topspins - the Primorac Carbon offers some support, but is also more difficult to control at times. He admits to being so frustrated that he made a "what the hell" blade change, and is unsure this will last.

But I like this attitude, even a pro of this calibre might at some point just look for redemption through change of material.

The Following 3 Users Like Airoc's Post:

KM1976, SamTheMan and 1 other

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 747 1,597
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,597 747
    Quote Originally Posted by Airoc
    Yeah, but you know they would eventually release a brand new "Timo Boll Hinoki Carbon" instead

In his posts he mentioned that for NOW - being injured and not able to play quality topspins - the Primorac Carbon offers some support, but is also more difficult to control at times. He admits to being so frustrated that he made a "what the hell" blade change, and is unsure this will last.

But I like this attitude, even a pro of this calibre might at some point just look for redemption through change of material.
    Yea, I love it even if it's temporary. If he really were to change, I could totally see Butterfly use that as an opportunity to market a new premium Timo blade like you said! Haha.

Do you have the link to his post?

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 213 1,005
    K
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,005 213

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Poland
    Read 2 Reviews
    Iolite black tagged here for sell if Timo Needs, write to me Timo 10x your personal dignics and shirt and we will be cool