How to know if i'm spinning the ball correctly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
First of all I would like to thank everyone who replied to my last post about how to put more spin on the ball in pendeulum serves, but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly, it's kind of confusing, I snap my wrist a lot but even so the ball doesn't seem to have a curve, for me in a sidespin pendeulum serve the ball would have to curve, otherwise it wouldn't have spin, but there are serves from professional players like ding ning in this video that when she serves it seems that there is no spin at all on the ball, but then it falls to the ground and you see that the ball spins wildly, and also I've been watching professional players serving in slow motion (Mainly Ma Long and Fan Zhendong) and imitating their movement seems even more difficult to rotate the ball, they go with the elbow back and turn it parallel after that, I do not know, it's strange, it was a long post sorry for that, but if anyone could clarify my doubts would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I can't post links because is my second post, so to see the ma long and ding ning serve that i mentioned you need to search "Adam Bobrow T2" and the serve it's on the very start of the video, and in ma long serve that i am confused about the moviment search ma long slow motion, dimitriv ovcharov mlfm and put at 1:38 of the video.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
For sidespins just serve a ball and go look at it on the table, or the floor if it hits the floor.

How fast is it spinning?

What direction is it spinning in?

That's how to tell.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Watch how the ball moves in the air.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,
Try serving at home in a room with carpet, no table needed, just use your serve action, you don’t have to worry about the net, or serving long etc
any spin on the ball is sort of exaggerated!! The ball will really stop quickly with backspin and come back to you, topspin and it will shoot off away. No spin and it will either stop or roll forward slightly. Side spin and it will bounce left or right.😀
It’s a really easy way of ‘seeing’ the spin that you have put on the ball. And the ‘feel’ of contact that produced the resulting spin.

You can then go to the table confident that you are putting spin on the ball !!!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

ok so the ball dosen't necessarily need to curve?

Hi,
a very pure side spin serve can have a fairly shallow curve in its flight (either left or right) have little sideways kick from the bounce but have loads of side spin on the ball.
This is due to the axis of rotation, in the clip I posted with the ball with a needle thru it, the needle represents the axis of rotation.
When you spin the ball it spins around the needle, at the equator the ball is spinning very quickly and is carrying a lot of energy, at the 2 poles ( north and south at the axis of rotation) the ball is spinning way less and carries less energy.
So when the ball lands ( & bounces on its South Pole ) there’s not much energy to make the ball jump to the left or right, but hold your bat vertically and when the highly spinning equator of the ball hits the rubber, BANG the ball just flies off to the left or right, depending on which side of the ball has been contacted.

I hope this makes sense!!

In general terms, a ball served with both side spin and either top or back spin is harder to deal with than a ball carrying just top, side or back spin. You have to take into account more factors when returning the serve.
this doesn’t mean single spin serves are worse, just different and variation of serve is very important.

A good video to watch is EBATT ‘JAB KUDOS SERVE’ it shows how a ball can curve in flight, but kick with the curve and away from the curve depending on where you contact the ball.🤔😀​​​​​​​!!

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021

oh, thank you so much, so if i did a sidespin backspin/top serve and the ball dosen't have a curve it dosen't mean that i failed to spin the ball right?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A good way to practice increasing your spin is to practice straight backspin. Don't worry about how low. If you can get the ball to come back to the net or bounce back over the net to your side, your level of spin is improving. Once you can do that, applying what you are doing to sidespin is very easy.

This video is actually a decent one for seeing ways to work on starting to develop decent spin:
Then things he shows to lead up to serving will help. The way he shows to not worry if it is an actual serve at first is good for practicing. Letting the ball bounce high at first while you get the feel of spinning backspin is also good for helping you increase the spin. Then, when you start feeling you really have control, then you make the serve lower and lower.

Once you can tell you are able to get the ball to come back to the net (so it has spin) changing the angle of the racket so the tip is lower than the base of the handle will make the serve sidespin.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, it would probably be a good idea to just post a few throw away posts so that you have enough posts to add links and then post footage of you practicing serving. People seeing what you are actually doing will be very helpful for you in the long run.

But practicing floor and couch serves is also really useful.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

oh, thank you so much, so if i did a sidespin backspin/top serve and the ball dosen't have a curve it dosen't mean that i failed to spin the ball right?

Maybe!! generally there is a curve for back/side or top/side, it can be harder to produce an almost straight flight with lots of side spin !!