Are seamless ball better than those with seam ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I was trying to order some ping pong balls but was not sure what ball I should buy.
Some balls have some sort of seam and others not
Which do you recommend ? Is three stars the best or do they go higher ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I was trying to order some ping pong balls but was not sure what ball I should buy.

In general, balls with seam have higher spin than seamless.

3 stars are of better quality than 1 star.

Stick to the big brands like Butterfly, Nittaku and DHS.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I would agree to disagree because i think seamless balls have higher spin (like joola flash or black xiom). And do not stick with butterfly because those are the shittiest balls ever made.
Seamless balls - black Xiom (NOT Xiom V) or Joola Flash
Seam balls - DHS D40 or Joola Prime or Nittaku Premium

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I agree with previous post.

When 40 + plastic balls first came out the ones with seams were terrible because they were made of cellulose acetate. They simply didn't bounce high enough and it was difficult to find round ones. They were really hard to get used to after many years of playing with celluloid balls.

At that time the seamless plastic balls, which also appeared early on, were a big Improvement. They at least had a proper bounce! But they never seemed to spin properly. I actually think it's because the first ones actually had a larger radius! Perhaps that has changed now.

Not too long after that seamed balls made of ABS appeared. The first of these were made by Nittaku. I have always liked those the best but they have also been very expensive. In fact for a while Nitttaku was the only company making a seamed ball out of ABS. Now you have other choices like DHS D40 and Double Fish V40..

Around 2015 I bought every kind of 40+ ball i could find, weighed them on a lab balance to check weights, checked bounce height and roundness,, and of course played with them. I posted a ton of stuff about them, here and especially at MyTT. My criterion for a good ball was one that played as closely as possible to celluloid balls. At a point I just stopped and only bought Nittakus. DHS D40 is good too.

One thing I remember from around 2015 is that the seamless balls seemed to be almost indestructible and had a very long lifetime. I don't know if that's still true.​​​​​Nittaku ABS balls have fantastic playing properties when they're new but they don't necessarily have a very long lifetime. it's not that they break but the surface becomes very shiny and at that point they just don't play properly anymore.

Three stars is the highest.

Last edited:
I would agree to disagree because i think seamless balls have higher spin (like joola flash or black xiom). And do not stick with butterfly because those are the shittiest balls ever made.
Seamless balls - black Xiom (NOT Xiom V) or Joola Flash
Seam balls - DHS D40 or Joola Prime or Nittaku Premium

Agreed 1000% Butterfly balls are trash. Every version of 3 star Butterfly Balls I’ve had (a40,S40,G40,etc.) have all broken on me. I’ve yet to have that same experience with 3 star Double Fish V40+ and DHS 3 star balls. My two current favorite brands of balls. Xiom Black, Gewo Select Pro 40+ and Joola Prime 40+ are equally good. 3 star is the highest quality you can get. Any “higher” i.e. 4 star / 5 star are for novelty purposes. Usually seen on crappy “beer pong” balls you see behind the counter at a corner store here in NYC. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Answering the original question, it kind of depends on someone's level as to how much it matters. I get the impression that the OP is relatively new to our sport. So for him, it might be best to just get whichever is a good deal price wise. But get 3 stars to use for matches.

And yes, the Butterfly balls are bad.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Joola Prime, Nitakku Premium, Sanwei ABS HD, DHS DJ40+ are all good

I guess they have seams?

Yes they all have seems (except I'm not sure about the Sanwei ABS because I've never seen one, or even a picture of one).

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000648773771.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.66984c4dykl2S8

Huieson New Material 3 Star Table Tennis Balls sets 30/50/100 Pcs Orange White English Marked Ping Pong Balls ABS Training Balls

Product Specification:

Item Name: Huieson 3 Stars English Marked Table Tennis Balls

Material: 100% New ABS Plastic

Quality: Standard 3 Star Level

Color: Orange/White

Size: 40+mm Diameter, 2.7-2.8g/piece Approximately

Grade: 3 Star Trainning table tennis ball

Fit for: Professional Table Tennis Trainning, Competiton for School Student and Table Tennis Club.

Packing: Poly Bag packing, 30 50 100 Pcs / Bag and for the Non-pro, club player or to squeeze thme through the robo I buy these in packet of 100 they have a nice rough surface and can take a beating. They would not pass a MaLong roundness twist test but they are relatively wobble-free

Last edited:
Agreed 1000% Butterfly balls are trash. Every version of 3 star Butterfly Balls I’ve had (a40,S40,G40,etc.) have all broken on me. I’ve yet to have that same experience with 3 star Double Fish V40+ and DHS 3 star balls. My two current favorite brands of balls. Xiom Black, Gewo Select Pro 40+ and Joola Prime 40+ are equally good. 3 star is the highest quality you can get. Any “higher” i.e. 4 star / 5 star are for novelty purposes. Usually seen on crappy “beer pong” balls you see behind the counter at a corner store here in NYC. Hope this helps.

What is that "Xiom Black" ball?
Can you paste a link?

Last edited:
No they are not. It makes very very little difference. There are other facts that are much more important.
A three star ball has generally higher quality control than a lower star.

Cheers
L-zr

Xiom “Black” are simply Xiom balls with black logo. There are blue and green logo Xiom balls which I have no experience using.
Sure here is a link:

https://www.tabletennisstore.us/p-2...ar-plastic-poly-table-tennis-ball-6-pack.aspx

Ok, than it would be better when you mean "seamless" Xiom, just to say "seamless".
Your link is to the Xiom seamless ball.

Xiom V has two variants - Blue and Black and both are seamed.

For few years I was a great fan of Xiom seamless and Xushaofa seamless.
But after several very bad batches I switched to other brands.
Finally I stuck on Gewo Select Pro. It is seamed. Excellent performance with every batch /yet/.

Reactions: splasher78
No they are not. It makes very very little difference. There are other facts that are much more important.
A three star ball has generally higher quality control than a lower star.

Cheers
L-zr

Till 2 years ago all seamless balls, no matter how branded, were much better that the seamed ones.
All seamless are made by only one factory - The Minkow factory, under the locence of Xushaofa.
2 - 3 years ago there was a fight between XSF and Minkow, and as a result the quality of all seamless balls dropped significantly.
I don't know what is the recent situation, I see that there is a XSF ABS seamless ball on some markets, but its not available here.
But for now I'm happy enough with the Gewo Select Pro.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Till 2 years ago all seamless balls, no matter how branded, were much better that the seamed ones.
All seamless are made by only one factory - The Minkow factory, under the locence of Xushaofa.
2 - 3 years ago there was a fight between XSF and Minkow, and as a result the quality of all seamless balls dropped significantly.
I don't know what is the recent situation, I see that there is a XSF ABS seamless ball on some markets, but its not available here.

Hi Langel,

Do you know if any TT companies make their own seamless balls now, rather than use the Minkow Factory?

I don't think so.
The patent of the seamless ball belongs to Xushaoffa and it is possible if XSF decide to start producing it in other factories.
Though I don't know if other factories are able to do that, and I'm not sure what exactly are the contracts between XSF and Minkow.

You will not notice any difference, even 2 star balls are OK, I use Xiom Sensa (2star) or Stiga training for practice and Nittaku premium for matches.
What I have noticed though is that Xiom Sensa wears a bit quick, they keep the roundness OK, but looses in friction so they get a little harder to spin. I bought a large pack so I'm stuck with them for a while. Next time I will try something different but seamless or not I couldn't care less...

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
You will not notice any difference, even 2 star balls are OK, I use Xiom Sensa (2star) or Stiga training for practice and Nittaku premium for matches.
What I have noticed though is that Xiom Sensa wears a bit quick, they keep the roundness OK, but looses in friction so they get a little harder to spin. I bought a large pack so I'm stuck with them for a while. Next time I will try something different but seamless or not I couldn't care less...

Cheers
L-zr

Well, different people, different senses.
I feel very well the differences between the balls of of different brands and between a new ball and an old ball.
And believe me - when you play for fun there is nothing better than to play with your favourite ball on your favourite table, but on tournaments it doesn't help, because you don't have that chance- you always play on different tables with different balls.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

Better in what way? Things are not so simple that you can make a statement like that without some additional stipulation. Seamless balls were more durable and at the beginning they were round and bounce high (even higher than celluloid). But if the standard is similarity to the celluloid balls prior to 40+, then Nittaku Premium and DHS D40, which have seams, are much better. And cellulose acetate balls with seams were bad by any standard. They were not round, fragile, and bounce much lower than celluloid.

Also, just as all of the seamless balls are made by Minkow, a lot of ABS balls with seams are rebranded balls from DHS or Double Fish at their separate factories in China. However, Nittaku Premium balls are actually made in Japan. It is actually surprising how few factories there actually are for TT balls.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong