Outdoor pingpong nets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I am trying to buy an outdoor net made of solid material like aluminum or steel or composite material.
Is there a list somewhere ?
Are these legal ?
Because I have seen some pictures with such nets but these nets do not extend 6 inches each side.?
Will these nets reduce lifetime of ball because the ball it hits a solid object more than usual ?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I am trying to buy an outdoor net made of solid material like aluminum or steel or composite material.
Is there a list somewhere ?
Are these legal ?
Because I have seen some pictures with such nets but these nets do not extend 6 inches each side.?
Will these nets reduce lifetime of ball because the ball it hits a solid object more than usual ?
I've never seen a list for them or seen them sold separately but I guess you could ask Cornilleau who makes them for their heavy duty outdoor tables and are known to sell spare parts.

They're not approved for official competitions as they behave very differently than regular nets.

And yes, they certainly will reduce the lifetime of balls, it's a hard object, not a soft net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I personally hate the clothe nets for following reasons

1. I hate the dribble overs. I have really bad reflexes. If it was a solid net I think it will bounce off the net a little more and come more towards my end line and I may have a better chance. At the highest levels if ITTF wants longer rallies this may be one way since the ball bounce into receiver's higher or deeper or both causing a defensive rally with lobs.

2. I hate to have to set up the net, tighten end brackets, the stupid ritual of adjusting & checking net height at 3 points etc. IMO the net should be some sort of simply dropping over the net in the middle of the table, with some sort of two holding holes on either side. Nothing to adjust or measure. Height will always be accurate.

3. On a side note I never understood why the edge serves are not a let but net serve is a let. I hate it when I make a great serve and opponent calls let. Sometimes it is a cheater. But other times even if it is a net & opponent is telling the truth I see no harm in continuing if the ball ever so slightly nicked the net only a very tiny bit.

It does not have to be super sold like a steel or aluminium net. Could be made of some composite material that is in between clothe and steel but important point is that, it should not be annoying to setup.
I used to play at some clubs, where they had to set up tables couple of times a week at places like common recreation centers or gyms etc. They constantly kept losing the top & bottom caps that hold the ends of the net inside the bracket. They just have to buy a new net.
Low end clothe nets with simple brackets are pure garbage

I don't know who came first, tennis or table tennis. If I can safely assume tennis came first., then I assume they copied the clothe nets & serve lets from tennis. Both suck.

Of course manufacturers will oppose going to solid nets because it will drop their sales of lower lifetime clothe nets.

Last edited: