Identifying the Magnus Effect in Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
BTW The truth is that Magnus in reality observed cilindrical objects, not spheres, Heh-heh-heh.
This is where one must read carefully because some papers are for cylinders and others are for spheres.
It seems no one has a standard way of writing the formula so it is important to look at the units. Cylinders rotate on only one axis. If the equation considers rotating on 3 axes then the formula is for spheres.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Not another joke. Talk about lecturing others while being clueless yourself.
I just said that no one mention Bernoulli and the equations are much different. Yes I know about Bernoulli ,turbulent flow, Reynold numbers etc.
I am a member of the International Fluid Power Hall of Fame and you are what?
Putting pressure sensors where the flow is high will result in erroneous readings. Sometime there is turbulent flow so the pressure readings are noisy.
You still need to explain reduced mass.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Cheers BB,

So the bounce could have an effect? Which could also be affected by the tables surface finish? Skid or grip ?

Yes, I have a pdf library on TT research. One pdf covers the impact and the effect of friction. Obviously friction plays a role. I play people that hit with a top side spin. Even if the don't put enough top spin on the ball to make it jump out at me, the ball still changes direction after the bounce as well as the curved trajectory.

if the velocity of the ball v is less than ω*r ( ω is the spin i radians per second and r is the radius of the ball ) then the ball will slow down but the impact will increase the spin. If the v > ω*r the ball will jump out but the spin will be reduced. Of course not much changes if there is no friction or the v = ω*r. However, top spin balls will still have some top spin and tend to drop.

There is a recent video
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?25200-Match-Analysis-vs-my-Rival
where there are a lot of good loops. You can see the ball arc due to the Magnus effect. A lot of these loops are hit from below the net level so they must arc over the net and drop. There is no way the ball is going to bounce up higher than the highest point in the trajectory.
Due to the COR of about 0.9 the ball will just to about 0.81 the of the highest point even without spin. With top spin they should jump out lower.