Hybrid rubbers how close to Tacky Chinese or Grippy ESN spring sponge?

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
So, I was thinking that a list of Hybrid rubbers and where they sit in relation to Chinese tacky rubbers (CTR’s) at one end of the scale and grippy ESN/Spring sponges at the other end would be a good idea.
criteria such as amount of bounce, tackiness, general feel etc

This would give an insight to someone thinking of changing from one to the other!!
There’s a good few rubbers that I haven’t used, it’s a pretty short list!!! so feel free to add to the list.

top of the list is close to CTR’s bottom closer to ESN/SS

Victas Triple Double Extra
Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Blue
Tibhar K2
Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange
Joola Golden Tango
Victas Triple Extra
729 Battle 3
H8-80
Loki Arthur Asia
Loki Arthur Europe
Xiom Tau2
Loki Arthur China
Joola Golden Tango PS
Yasaka Rakza Z
Stiga DNA Dragon Grip
BTY SpinArt
Donic Bluegrip V1
Nittaku PK50
Victas 07 Sticky Extra
Tibhar K1 (series)
BTY G09C
Donic Bluegrip C2
Andro C53
Xiom Omega 7 China Guang & Ying
Gewo Codexx EL Pro 52
Tibhar K3
J&H Z52
Joola Dynaryz ZGX
BTY D09C

Should BTY Aibiss be added? I’m not totally sure!! Some people say it has a spring sponge, but a BTY list that I looked at showing type of sponge didn’t list Aibiss sponge as a Spring Sponge. It sure doesn’t play like it has a spring sponge!! I feel that it’s BTY attempt at H3 .

If you think I’ve got a rubber (or some rubbers!!) in the wrong place then swap around!! It will be interesting to see how people’s take on this varies!!

Last edited:
So, I was thinking that a list of Hybrid rubbers and where they sit in relation to Chinese tacky rubbers (CTR’s) at one end of the scale and grippy ESN/Spring sponges at the other end would be a good idea.

This would give an insight to someone thinking of changing from one to the other!!
There’s a good few rubbers that I haven’t used, it’s a pretty short list!!! so feel free to add to the list.

Xiom Tau 2
Joola Golden Tango
Joola Golden Tango PS
Yasaka Rakza Z
BTY SpinArt
Donic Bluegrip V1
Donic Bluegrip C2
BTY D09C

Should BTY Aibiss be added? I’m not totally sure!! Some people say it has a spring sponge, but a BTY list that I looked at showing type of sponge didn’t list Aibiss sponge as a Spring Sponge. It sure doesn’t play like it has a spring sponge!! I feel that it’s BTY attempt at H3 .

If you think I’ve got a rubber (or some rubbers!!) in the wrong place then swap around!! It will be interesting to see how people’s take on this varies!!

AIBISS is like a chinese rubber but it's sponge is much harder than h3 41 degrees or D09c.

Reactions: IB66

Xiom Tau 2
Joola Golden Tango
Joola Golden Tango PS
Yasaka Rakza Z
BTY SpinArt
Donic Bluegrip V1
Donic Bluegrip C2
BTY D09C

Omega 7 China Guang and Ying. There are other brands releasing their tacky rubbers this year.

Would you consider DHS Skyline 3-60 or Hurricane 3-50 in this category?

Or are those sponges not springy enough?
nope they are inferior if compared to euro sponges unless boosted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Blue
Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange
Nittaku Sieger PK50
Victas Triple Regular (42.5°)
Victas Triple Extra (55° japan standard)
Victas Triple Double Extra (57.5°)

The Victas series is named from the TSP Triple series tacky rubbers, but the blue sponge is a new Victas made, and the topsheet is made in China.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Music&Ping;344311 said:
Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Blue
Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange
Nittaku Sieger PK50
Victas Triple Regular (42.5°)
Victas Triple Extra (55° japan standard)
Victas Triple Double Extra (57.5°)

The Victas series is named from the TSP Triple series tacky rubbers, but the blue sponge is a new Victas made, and the topsheet is made in China.

I gave the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo orange a try and it was different to Std H3, but was still pretty 'dead' feeling, No experience with the Turbo Blue, i would probably put the pair of them with likes of H3-50/H3-60 etc?? Sponge not enough ESN/Spring sponge qualities ??

Has the Victas / TSP merge gone through completely?

So the Victas 'Triple' series, is this a totally new top sheet and new sponge? or retaining old TSP Triple series top sheet? is it available??

cheers,

Reactions: ScreaminEagle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021
KTL rapid speed is hybrid (and cheap) , the sponge is like european rubber but the topsheet is tacky!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

I gave the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo orange a try and it was different to Std H3, but was still pretty 'dead' feeling, No experience with the Turbo Blue, i would probably put the pair of them with likes of H3-50/H3-60 etc?? Sponge not enough ESN/Spring sponge qualities ??Has the Victas / TSP merge gone through completely?So the Victas 'Triple' series, is this a totally new top sheet and new sponge? or retaining old TSP Triple series top sheet? is it available??cheers,

This Triple series seems to be made with a new recipe. It´s the most tackiest I´ve ever seen. Gonna try it soon.Is VICTAS TRIPLE DOUBLE EXTRA tacky? - YouTube

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I think this list should only contain Euro/Jap/Korean hybrid rubbers, because the number Chinese hybrids is really endless (Friendship, Tuttle, KTL, Yinhe etc.).

Tibhar K1/K2/ K1 Plus/ K1 Pro[h1] [/h1]

Hi MK,

Having never tried K1/K2 etc, do you have any thoughts to where they would sit in the list?

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I have only played with D09c and Rakza Z from your list. To me, Rakza Z felt soft and bouncy. Good, but very similar to other ESN products. I would consider Rakza Z as a backhand rubber. The hardness of D09c makes it a lot more similar to Chinese tacky rubber imo.
Hi Sam,

I can see where you are coming from!!!

I thought Rakza Z had more tackiness and slightly less bounce. Any tackiness wears off pretty quick with both, but my sheets of Rakza Z had a longer lasting tackiness.
The D09C I used to have had the 1.9mm sponge, having just tried T05 / T19 In 1.9mm as well I thought the top sheets had a similar hardness, maybe D09C was a tad softer than T05 / T19. All 3 are probably harder than Rakza Z,
Theres also ‘straight out of the package’ feeling and characteristics and ‘played in’ feeling and characteristics to take into account !!! So it’s not a straight forward list as to where certain rubbers should sit within the list !! It would be easy to swap rubbers around!! And looking at the list Rakza Z is probably a little too close to the CTR end, it could easily be next to D09C !!

Reactions: SamTheMan
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
  • Haha
Reactions: Suga D and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews

Hi MK,

Having never tried K1/K2 etc, do you have any thoughts to where they would sit in the list?

I can't because I haven't tried the other rubbers in your list. I have only tested the K1 Pro. What I can say is that it has a 52 deg sponge and a very soft and tacky top sheet. The sponge is dynamic and bouncy, which I didn't like for my forehand. Its more like a Euro rubber with Chinese top sheet. I prefer rubbers with less catapult on my forehand.

Reactions: latej and IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I can't because I haven't tried the other rubbers in your list. I have only tested the K1 Pro. What I can say is that it has a 52 deg sponge and a very soft and tacky top sheet. The sponge is dynamic and bouncy, which I didn't like for my forehand. Its more like a Euro rubber with Chinese top sheet. I prefer rubbers with less catapult on my forehand.

Hi MK,

from what you’ve said, looks like the K1/K2 could sit up with the Bluegrips ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews

No experience with the Turbo Blue, i would probably put the pair of them with likes of H3-50/H3-60 etc??

No, Nittaku Hurricane Turbo Blue has to go next to Tau II. It has been very positively reviewed by Patrick on the TT11 blog. One of the rubbers I will deffo try once we're allowed to play again. The organge one is softer.