Hybrid rubbers how close to Tacky Chinese or Grippy ESN spring sponge?

Hi Yogi,

O7 China Guang and Ying, haven’t tried them so would they be up there with Bluegrip C2 ??
let me know and I’ll add them in.

cheers.

They are similar only that the O7c series was ahead in the market by almost a year.

Hi,

Have you used any of the rubbers on the list to compare the KLT Rapid speed to? Then I can have an idea where to place it.

Cheers,

The KLT series are old Chinese rubbers that are tacky and slow when not boosted. They are not hybrid rubbers. The do not show hybrid characteristics.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Do we know if any World class players are currently using any of these tacky ESN rubbers?

If these rubbers are not really used by the “high profiled” sponsored players of the brands, what is the point of making them? Is it mainly about getting a slice of the Chinese rubber market - or more specifically a BIGGER slice of the Chinese market? Or were the brands so scared of the prospects of the Dignics 09c that needed their own alternative rubber(s) to compete with this? 🤔

Also, are there any soft sponged tacky ESN rubbers available? Like 45˚ or softer? I get that the tacky topsheets might not work well with a softer and more bouncy sponge, but I’d thought that at least one brand could have given it a try?

Do we know if any World class players are currently using any of these tacky ESN rubbers?

If these rubbers are not really used by the “high profiled” sponsored players of the brands, what is the point of making them? Is it mainly about getting a slice of the Chinese rubber market - or more specifically a BIGGER slice of the Chinese market? Or were the brands so scared of the prospects of the Dignics 09c that needed their own alternative rubber(s) to compete with this? 🤔

Also, are there any soft sponged tacky ESN rubbers available? Like 45˚ or softer? I get that the tacky topsheets might not work well with a softer and more bouncy sponge, but I’d thought that at least one brand could have given it a try?
If a product is not used by a high profiled player, it does not mean it is not good. If we follow your way of reasoning, then all other products that are unused by players are bad and should not be sold since it is pointless. Should butterfly discontinue dozens of their products since a lot are not used by other high profiles players??

To answer your other question, most esn rubbers that are tacky are about 47 degrees and above.

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Hi,

Not sure if any World Class players are using this type of rubber.

There are loads of different rubbers available, and I would think that it’s only a small % of the rubbers available that are actually used by the Pro’s.
So, why make any other rubbers other than those used by the Pro’s? Just like blades ( there’s a shed load available!!)
Some rubbers are designed for beginners, and different level players, different styles of play etc
I think that there is is combination of factors, yeah, bigger slice of part of the market is one, and possibly performance could be another, driven by the various changes to the ball that have taken place.

As far as sponge hardness is concerned, as Yogi mentioned they generally seem to be 45 Degrees +

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Victas Triple Regular is rated 42,5°, japanese bouncy sponge similar to ESN ones. And I would say that ESN produces harder hybrid rubbers than 47°, it's more like 50 and above, like Tibhar K's, Yasaka Rakza Z, because the P Ball requires harder sponges according to high level players, 47 is more likely going to be considered a soft hardness in the near future, it is actually what most of them use for their BH, 37 H3 shore A chinese rubber = 49 ! ESN shore 0, and it's considered being soft by the CNT ,probably because even when boosted it does not bounce that more than a ESN 47 one or a 36 shore A Tenergy 05.

Reactions: Suga D and IB66
This user has no status.

Kirill Skachkov, wr55 is using Donic Bluegrip C2 on forehand.
Kou Lei, wr 56 is using Donic Bluegrip C2 on forehand aswell.
Koki Niwa, wr 17 is using Victas Triple Double Extra on backhand.
Miyuu Kihara, wr 49 is using Vitcas Triple Double Extra on forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Brice Ollivier, french Pro A league player from Stella La Romagne, uses Donic Bluegrip C2 either.
And of course Boll and Ovtcharov use D09C on both sides.
Pauline Chasselin (women french Pro A league from Grand Quevilly, 2018 ETTU Cup winner with Metz) uses D09C on FH, D05 BH on a BTY Apolonia blade.

Reactions: Suga D and IB66