I've never seen a lefty defender

This user has no status.
Been scratching my head all day to recall just one , at any level and I can't find any ...

I remember telling my coach once about a 2100 points guy winning against the best defender in France who is about 2700 ... my coach told me while it is still a surprise, but lefty attackers like our 2100 guy have a bit more advantage over rightt attackers from the same level playing against righty defenders. I think this is why , lefty wanna-be-defenders realise early on this is not good playing all the time against majority right-handed players , I would appreciate it if someone has a video of such rare specimen

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
OP: Left-handed choppers do not exist.
Liu Song: YES!!!
Higashi: Japan exists.

• Haha
Reactions: Musaab and latej
Jan 2018
Hello from Taiwan.

Jan 2018
I see the OP's definition of defender is even stricter than mine. Aside from attacking on both FH and BH way too much, I don't regard Mikhailova as a chopper because her strokes are consistently shorter and more horizontal than others, hence the term "mid-distance pushes". The difference is really obvious from the side angle at WTT Contender Doha.

https://youtu.be/oTdyyo6X5TU?t=270
https://youtu.be/6saL_-CZ1fU?t=620

However, Liu Song is a different story. Staying close to the table, he usually plays the stroke of 切(cut) in Mandarin, or 閘(guillotine) in Cantonese, or chop-block in English, but he chops when necessary, especially when forced away or out of position. If he's not considered a chopper/defender, then Filus, Gionis, Chen Weixing, Hou Yingchao et al. should not be either as they don't chop at all on the FH but instead loops aggressively, often using the stroke of 兜/兜拉(wrap/wrap-loop) in Mandarin if they can't attack. Filus at WTT Star Contender is a prime example. Old-school defenders are dead at the world level and a dying breed below. Modern defenders are not that far off. Find me another Ding Song or Joo Sehyuk who chops on the FH. And you expect to see left-handed old-school defenders?

And for the dude from Taiwan, if you've ever seen a defender vs defender match, then either they both play defense until expedite rule kicks in or one of them plays offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lltljanMm60

Last edited:
Reactions: Musaab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have a loosely based theory that left handed players have the advantage of serve against right handed players as beginners so they get easier returns and start to run around and kill the ball with the forehand so many left handed players become somewhat forehand oriented? 😀

Reactions: jammmail and Musaab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Yup Christian Martin is a good example of lefty defenders ... downsides: vs righties the major issue is the FH loops with some sidepspin trajectories that are pushing lefties BH chops WAY OUTSIDE the table ! they have to cover a way much bigger area, more physical game, more footwork, it's tiring. Right FH loops vs Right BH chops don't push them so far outside, only heavy sidespin BH loops would do that, and it's not what offensive players do unnless it's... Kreanga.

There's a 1700 righty LP defender at my club (=2200 USATT) who loves training with me for that exact matter: I've got a strong BH loop that I can repeat again and again, as I'm a righty too it pushes him far more outside, so he has to travel more to catch the ball.

EDIT: bear in mind that at that time, the french team had also... Jacques Secrétin, lefty offensive player, so Christian Martin mostly trained with him, It's France's trademark: many lefties have always been in the national team
Secrétin
Martin
Gatien
Chila (bronze OG medalist with Gatien, a double-lefty pair, not so common !)
Legoût
LeBesson
Pavade

France has been team world finalist VS China, silver medal so, in 1997 with 3 lefties in its squad ! says a lot: Gatien, Chila, Legoût. That's why France has produced more lefty defenders at a high level.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Here's a 2-part video interview with Ding Song on the difficulties and future prospects for choppers and defenders alike and his own journey to becoming one. Various players such as Chen Xinhua, Joo Sehyuk(Zhu Shihe in Mandarin) and Hou Yingchao, techniques, tactics, equipment, and training etc. are touched on. The translation could be a little off here and there but overall gets the message across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyyA4sV6sI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq2pNLv0ENk

https://youtu.be/GuyyA4sV6sI?t=470
Choppers need to abandon conventional notions which doesn't mean basic foundation is not important, but players need to get in touch with much more advanced training to let them know there's other ways to chop. People believe choppers can attack only after a good chop at first, but some players do have the desire to attack, like me. Try to win with that old-fashioned notion is literally difficult.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
I have a loosely based theory that left handed players have the advantage of serve against right handed players as beginners so they get easier returns and start to run around and kill the ball with the forehand so many left handed players become somewhat forehand oriented? 😀

I think other way, all left handed players have very good BH

• Wow
Reactions: Musaab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020

I think other way, all left handed players have very good BH

Until they win a world championship with mostly their pivot forehand like Gatien did ... Lebesson is also pivot FH oriented, his BH is kinda... weak, as he's won a European Championship I guess it counts too.