Anyone using grip tape anymore?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
image.jpg

Hi just wanted to know if anyone uses grip tape in their rackets. Also send a pic of it on your racket if you can. Thanks!

Here’s mine

It is more important how the racket plays than how it looks, but this almost hurts my eyes. What is the purpose of the blue tape?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I use it, but I don't wrap the whole handle. Hence, feeling is still there.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
FORREST GUMP IS WHAT FORREST GUMP DOES.

Just in umpire's view,
—Attaching some more coatings to the "triangle" area near the racket handle would argue you as a low grade player, or perhaps a forrest gump or suchlike.
Skilled ones would always keep the triangle part clean of any residues, laquer applicationa, etc. Racket inspection is most likely to fault any additional coatings on the blade.

url]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
You don't need grip tape if it's just to protect the handle. You can use something like Watco Danish Oil which makes the handle sweat resistant and still keep it's wood texture, unlike poly finishes which can make it feel like plastic. Most blade handles nowadays are not smooth lacquer finished and should have enough texture to give it good grip.

Reactions: GrayGhost
You don't need grip tape if it's just to protect the handle. You can use something like Watco Danish Oil which makes the handle sweat resistant and still keep it's wood texture, unlike poly finishes which can make it feel like plastic. Most blade handles nowadays are not smooth lacquer finished and should have enough texture to give it good grip.
In the old days I use to sand my blades to get rid of the finish. If You want You can use linseed oil or something equivalent to protect it from sweat. My hands don’t sweat much so I don’t bother.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
In the old days I use to sand my blades to get rid of the finish. If You want You can use linseed oil or something equivalent to protect it from sweat. My hands don’t sweat much so I don’t bother.

Cheers
L-zr

My hands sweat a good amount. After only 1 month my Viscaria has lots of discoloration... was hoping to avoid that but don't like the feeling of sealant on the handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

My hands sweat a good amount. After only 1 month my Viscaria has lots of discoloration... was hoping to avoid that but don't like the feeling of sealant on the handle.

With Danish Oil, which is a boiled linseed oil with drying additives, you should feel the wood and not the sealant. The oil soaks into the pores of the wood (if the wood has open pores) to seal it, which is why you have to apply the finish twice with soaking time in between and then wiped dry thoroughly according to the directions. The handle will smell fishy for a good couple of days until it has dried enough then it should be fine. Try it.