Dhs h8-80

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
@latej, skip it. Normal H8 is not good at all. It's everything I don't like actually. On weak shots it's for sure 15% faster than H3N but on hard shots it's slooooow AF. No metallic feeling to be honest, it's yuck to use. It's not like Aibiss, but I was thinking about that rubber using H8. It's probably worse than Aibiss which is a huge feat in itself.

Hi Zwill, thanks, don't worry. I used to play with H3 H37 on the BH. I get most of the balls to the BH, as we all usually, and in straight exchanges I was thinking that perhaps I should have a faster, but still somewhat related, rubber. So I switched to H8-80 H37. What I missed is the longer catch/release feeling in openings against backspin with H3 H37. In exhanges then, yes, it is faster, but the thing is, I do not think I play better or worse with H8-80. It doesn't make me better or worse. I like both. I thought perhaps H8 H37 would be something in between speed-wise, and I was really looking forward to try it, after your initial post. Not with the expectation with getting better, but for the experience of feeling the difference, while knowing all these 3 rubbers are related, near, so it is safe. Ok, H8-80 can be powerful, but it doesn't feel uncontrollable to me. Now you say that H8 H37 on stronger shots (if I get it well), is even slower than H3 H37. OK then I can skip it.

There is now only 1 other rubber I'd consider for BH, the Rakza Z. I have one, but black.

Actually Andro R48, after USDC's post, made me salivate too.

But I'll postpone all this after the season, which is about to start, ends in 6 months or so. Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi Zwill, thanks, don't worry. I used to play with H3 H37 on the BH. I get most of the balls to the BH, as we all usually, and in straight exchanges I was thinking that perhaps I should have a faster, but still somewhat related, rubber. So I switched to H8-80 H37. What I missed is the longer catch/release feeling in openings against backspin with H3 H37. In exhanges then, yes, it is faster, but the thing is, I do not think I play better or worse with H8-80. It doesn't make me better or worse. I like both. I thought perhaps H8 H37 would be something in between speed-wise, and I was really looking forward to try it, after your initial post. Not with the expectation with getting better, but for the experience of feeling the difference, while knowing all these 3 rubbers are related, near, so it is safe. Ok, H8-80 can be powerful, but it doesn't feel uncontrollable to me. Now you say that H8 H37 on stronger shots (if I get it well), is even slower than H3 H37. OK then I can skip it.

There is now only 1 other rubber I'd consider for BH, the Rakza Z. I have one, but black.

Actually Andro R48, after USDC's post, made me salivate too.

But I'll postpone all this after the season, which is about to start, ends in 6 months or so. Cheers.

I’ve played with H3 37, H8 mid hard and H8-80 38 on my BH. I find H8 the easiest to lift backspin, but also the heaviest. I agree that H8-80’s dwell time is too short, difficult to lift backspin.

H3 37 too mushy for me even after boosting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I’ve played with H3 37, H8 mid hard and H8-80 38 on my BH. I find H8 the easiest to lift backspin, but also the heaviest. I agree that H8-80’s dwell time is too short, difficult to lift backspin.

Good day to you sir,

Is it commercial version H3 37 or what version you have played with.

Thank you,
Best regards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hi Zwill, thanks, don't worry. I used to play with H3 H37 on the BH. I get most of the balls to the BH, as we all usually, and in straight exchanges I was thinking that perhaps I should have a faster, but still somewhat related, rubber. So I switched to H8-80 H37. What I missed is the longer catch/release feeling in openings against backspin with H3 H37. In exhanges then, yes, it is faster, but the thing is, I do not think I play better or worse with H8-80. It doesn't make me better or worse. I like both. I thought perhaps H8 H37 would be something in between speed-wise, and I was really looking forward to try it, after your initial post. Not with the expectation with getting better, but for the experience of feeling the difference, while knowing all these 3 rubbers are related, near, so it is safe. Ok, H8-80 can be powerful, but it doesn't feel uncontrollable to me. Now you say that H8 H37 on stronger shots (if I get it well), is even slower than H3 H37. OK then I can skip it.There is now only 1 other rubber I'd consider for BH, the Rakza Z. I have one, but black.Actually Andro R48, after USDC's post, made me salivate too.But I'll postpone all this after the season, which is about to start, ends in 6 months or so. Cheers.

Funny but a friend gave me a slightly used Rakza Z EH to try. I wanna try it on FH. Problem with the Rakza Z is that it's darn heavy. 52-54g is like "oof". In a way it's promising since I also have a V15 extra laying around and it's not light ~50g, but it doesn't shrink and didn't change performance either since April. I literally know a guy who uses the same sheet for 5 years and the sponge still makes that clicky speedglue sound.

I used R53 before it's nice, but it's very heavily factory boosted. After 2 months it's a different rubber. Don't see why R48 or R45 would be any different :( (and it has some coating on the topsheet like newer ESN rubbers, once that wears off about 2 months it's really nothing special)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
About 7 months ago I switched from the H3 H37 on the BH to the H8-80 H37. I was getting most of my balls to the BH and sometimes I felt the pressure, and was thinking about having slightly faster rubber. When I switched, I immediately missed this loong hold on opening loops. The H8-80 is a bit faster, but it also feels differently, and I think it is because both the sponge and the top-sheet differ. The sponge is a bit more elastic, which is not bad, although I somewhat prefer the dense (smaller bubble) sponge feeling (if only it was faster). And the top-sheet, I think it has longer pips than H3, and that makes different feeling altogether too. It is rel. spin sensitive, and it forces you to be active on blocks. I played with it 5 months, it kept tacky, it is very durable. That is I'd say the strongest attribute of it for me now. Then, I switched to Rakza X, which I tried before H3 H37 and at that time I was not excited by it. But it was almost new, so I tried it again, and this time, I really started to enjoy it. It is faster than H8-80, which I like, not a speed monster, and also, it is feelably less spin-sensitive than H8-80. Yes, it can produce less spin, but it is still enough for opening loops, the top-sheet is nicely grippy. I can recommend this rubber. All these rubbers have the same hardness (which also the durometer confirms), approx. H37. This is currently a sweet-spot for me on the BH. I tried BigDipper H38 on Viscaria, and while I can play with it, I prefer slightly softer. I think next time I'm gonna try Fastarc G1, perhaps even C1 on the BH.

So, even though nowadays the spin is very popular on TTD, I am actually trading some spin for speed ;-) It seems to me that the spin preference vs. speed preference is like stairs if you go up the level. OK, at the top, spin rules, but bellow, speed helps, and yet bellow, again, spin does more, and so on... It's not black and white.

About 7 months ago I switched from the H3 H37 on the BH to the H8-80 H37. I was getting most of my balls to the BH and sometimes I felt the pressure, and was thinking about having slightly faster rubber. When I switched, I immediately missed this loong hold on opening loops. The H8-80 is a bit faster, but it also feels differently, and I think it is because both the sponge and the top-sheet differ. The sponge is a bit more elastic, which is not bad, although I somewhat prefer the dense (smaller bubble) sponge feeling (if only it was faster). And the top-sheet, I think it has longer pips than H3, and that makes different feeling altogether too. It is rel. spin sensitive, and it forces you to be active on blocks. I played with it 5 months, it kept tacky, it is very durable. That is I'd say the strongest attribute of it for me now. Then, I switched to Rakza X, which I tried before H3 H37 and at that time I was not excited by it. But it was almost new, so I tried it again, and this time, I really started to enjoy it. It is faster than H8-80, which I like, not a speed monster, and also, it is feelably less spin-sensitive than H8-80. Yes, it can produce less spin, but it is still enough for opening loops, the top-sheet is nicely grippy. I can recommend this rubber. All these rubbers have the same hardness (which also the durometer confirms), approx. H37. This is currently a sweet-spot for me on the BH. I tried BigDipper H38 on Viscaria, and while I can play with it, I prefer slightly softer. I think next time I'm gonna try Fastarc G1, perhaps even C1 on the BH.

So, even though nowadays the spin is very popular on TTD, I am actually trading some spin for speed ;-) It seems to me that the spin preference vs. speed preference is like stairs if you go up the level. OK, at the top, spin rules, but bellow, speed helps, and yet bellow, again, spin does more, and so on... It's not black and white.
Intersting feedback.
I've found H8-80 to be good, but not powerful enough. With G-1 or C-1 I can produce powerful topspins with both speed and spin. With H8-80 it's either fast, but not so spinny or very spinny, but slow and with my technique there's no middle ground for some reason...sticking with C-1 on the BH for now.

H8-80 is also (as any tacky rubber on the BH) requires good footwork. If one is out of position, then the block or top spin will likely fail.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Intersting feedback.
I've found H8-80 to be good, but not powerful enough. With G-1 or C-1 I can produce powerful topspins with both speed and spin. With H8-80 it's either fast, but not so spinny or very spinny, but slow and with my technique there's no middle ground for some reason...sticking with C-1 on the BH for now.

H8-80 is also (as any tacky rubber on the BH) requires good footwork. If one is out of position, then the block or top spin will likely fail.
Yeah, that's what I gathered from posts about G-1 and C-1 too - I expect it to be spinnier than RX. But looking forward nevertheles, even though it will likely be more spin sensitive too... I like those instinctive blocks with RX, when someone hits fast top-spin, which is perhaps not ideally placed, so you have time to only just put the hand there - in those I enjoy RX more than H8-80...

But everyone feels differently. There is a top korean player, perhaps Lim Jonghoon who plays with H8-80? Anyway, I'm glad I tried but not buying again anytime soon...

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Yeah, that's what I gathered from posts about G-1 and C-1 too - I expect it to be spinnier than RX. But looking forward nevertheles, even though it will likely be more spin sensitive too... I like those instinctive blocks with RX, when someone hits fast top-spin, which is perhaps not ideally placed, so you have time to only just put the hand there - in those I enjoy RX more than H8-80...

But everyone feels differently. There is a top korean player, perhaps Lim Jonghoon who plays with H8-80? Anyway, I'm glad I tried but not buying again anytime soon...

The korean player you are looking for is Cho seungmin.
I can relate to almost everything you said about the rubber. The only thing i have to contradict is your feeling of speed with this rubber. If it lacks speed for you, you are probably lacking in technique or/and power. I mean no offense here, it might as well just be a misunderstanding of the concept of speed.
Because the initial bounce of h8-80 is definitly not faster and by far not faster than any mentioned rubbers (except h3).
But the overall speed capabilities of H8-80 is most certainly higher or at least equally than any of the mentioned rubbers (depending on the stroke).

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
The korean player you are looking for is Cho seungmin.
I can relate to almost everything you said about the rubber. The only thing i have to contradict is your feeling of speed with this rubber. If it lacks speed for you, you are probably lacking in technique or/and power. I mean no offense here, it might as well just be a misunderstanding of the concept of speed.
Because the initial bounce of h8-80 is definitly not faster and by far not faster than any mentioned rubbers (except h3).
But the overall speed capabilities of H8-80 is most certainly higher or at least equally than any of the mentioned rubbers (depending on the stroke).
My very over-simplistic model for rubber speed (assuming same sponge material):
1679919340577.png

Setting up laboratory testing for blades and rubbers is one of the top items on my list of "If I win the lottery". Right now, even TTGearLab hasn't come up with a way to test rubbers yet...

says I buy too much equipment
says I buy too much equipment
Jul 2019
Intersting feedback.

I'd say it's pretty powerful even on an all wood blade. It is much more dangerous on a faster blade though. Unlike most tensors you do need to physically put the effort in to get the ball going but I feel like it's still relatively easy to do so. I agree with your comments regarding spin/speed, it does give a certain unpredictability to your opponents though, I often find people dump my faster shots in the net and have the slower ones shoot way over the table.

Reactions: blahness and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
My very over-simplistic model for rubber speed (assuming same sponge material): View attachment 24768

Setting up laboratory testing for blades and rubbers is one of the top items on my list of "If I win the lottery". Right now, even TTGearLab hasn't come up with a way to test rubbers yet...
I wonder if that graph is a truth or a myth, really.

Need help. Calling to the darkness: zeeiiiooo

Edit: E.g. the H3s, H37 - H41, it doesn't feel to me the H41 is faster in faster hits than H37, I can get more spin though.

Last edited:
Jan 2023
I wonder if that graph is a truth or a myth, really.

Need help. Calling to the darkness: zeeiiiooo
I can't even find out information about stiffness v.s. rebound for spring (most of the search result cares about dampening). Any physicist out there that can help?

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Anyone know why there seems to be a shortage of Hurricane 8-80? Particularly the red ones.

Jan 2023
Anyone know why there seems to be a shortage of Hurricane 8-80? Particularly the red ones.
I'm sure they are still in production and in plenty in China. My guess for their apparent shortages outside China (assuming that's where you are looking for them) is:
(1) It is not very popular so stores don't re-stock them that often.
(2) It is more commonly used as a backhand rubber, and in general more people have red rubbers for BH, so red H8-80 goes out of stock before black H8-80.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
I'm sure they are still in production and in plenty in China. My guess for their apparent shortages outside China (assuming that's where you are looking for them) is:
(1) It is not very popular so stores don't re-stock them that often.
(2) It is more commonly used as a backhand rubber, and in general more people have red rubbers for BH, so red H8-80 goes out of stock before black H8-80.
Well, seems to be a few on aliexpress but a shortage pretty much everywhere else. Even on black ones. But I might miss some stores.