Is it time for a faster blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

What do you think about stiga infinity vps has kinda the same characteristics as Extra Offensive.

Never tried it so hard to comment anything useful. Like someone said, it is hard to read comments from others. Do you have any friends that have other blades that you can try?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
What do you think about stiga infinity vps has kinda the same characteristics as Extra Offensive.

A blade with deeper hold, not very fast, would be good for you, imo. Research ttgearlab.

Don't buy Stiga Infinity VPS, it's enough that one of us two made that stupid mistake. If you insist, and want it regardless, send me a PM, I have one to get rid off!

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
A blade with deeper hold, not very fast, would be good for you, imo. Research ttgearlab.

Don't buy Stiga Infinity VPS, it's enough that one of us two made that stupid mistake. If you insist, and want it regardless, send me a PM, I have one to get rid off!
Haha so bad? 😀

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Haha so bad? 😀

Yep, of my blades (granted, not that many), this is the one I regret buying the most. I simply didn't enjoy it. I actually regret buying all of them except Viscaria 😀.

Edit: And I have another one in the eye. Incurable...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Stiga allround classic WRB: This was my first blade and I played with it for a year or so with both ESN and Chinese tacky rubber. However, now i play with another blade (see below) and after playing with my current blade, i will never go back to Stiga allround because I think the vibration is just too much. It's not the speed; you can definitely generate ample speed. It is a decent blade but is cheap for a reason.

Stiga Infinity VPS V: Played with this for about 5-6 months. it was the best seller on Tabltetennis11. The three main issue that I have with this blade are:
1: The handle edges of this one is very sharp. It's not smooth and hence you have to sand it yourself.
2: I felt that switching from Forehand to Backhand with this blade was also not so smooth for me. and Finally
3: If you change the rubbers often (say once every 3 months) then you have to be very careful otherwise you can easily damage the top layer. Some shops can do the lacquering for you though. That should help.

Butterfly Viscaria: I played with this blade for about 4 months, and then the COVID lockdown started here. Till now, the clubs are closed in Netherlands. Even though I play at very very low level (Netherlands NTTB class 5, which is second lowest, 7th is the lowest), i still can appreciate this blade a lot (To give you an idea of my level, Here is a link to a short video, which I uploaded when i was playing at level 6, which is just above the bottom level). At this point, I've no desire to get myself any other blade. I think the Butterfly chief craftsmen were drinking something really interesting that night when they designed this blade. It's perfect. The head size, the handle, feel, everything is perfect.Â

Even though your technique is not good at the moment (I'm sorry if you find this rude; I've no intention to belittle you), i will recommend you to just buy Viscaria By doing that you will do yourself big favour. You will save a lot of money and time on buying then reselling dozens of blades over time. Apparently many here caution against buying a blade such as Viscaria, until, one is close to state level player (I'm exaggerating, but this is what I infer from those comments), but I think that this approach is not good. You need to stick to one blade for a very long time and Viscaria is definitely one of those.
Â

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
This exactly what I've done 30 years ago with the Clipper, as it was considered the same as Viscaria is today: popular offensive blade for professionals only. The main key is: training. At that era with cell ball and speed glue some were thinking playing with a Clipper + Mark V 2.0 was an heresy if you were not at least a french nationale or super division dude. I switched to that racket when I was at university, I had the chance to train with a nationale level coach and he recommended me that setup, but at the same time warned me that it was only if I were dedicated to train enough.

The year before university, I was at the bottom level too, départementale 3 in France. At University I jumped to D2, then D1. 2 years later I even played Régionale 4, means that In a 3 years span with that blade I've jumped 4 divisions !

Why do you think skillfull youngsters are taught by their coach very early to use Tenergies or Viscarias ? because slower equipment is limiting your skills, of course it's important to start slow (hey, even in music the über skilled and fast playing jazzmen started doing their scales at a very slow tempo !), but it's also important to trust yourself, and more of it all to be dedicated enough to train in order to be able to master those pieces of equipment.

You've got the basic skills, it's just that you need to trust yourself, to be more confident to unleash the full power in your arm, and I also think you just need to train your footwork a lil' bit more to get that pivot FH ready and full of power. You've got the right technique to me, there's no reason not to jump to another level of equipment !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have a hard time seeing that his current equipment is limiting his skills. Feel like the majority think that they can have faster equipment like you are saying and win more balls in the now but they have enough insigth or knowledge to see that it is limiting their potential for development. But, of course it can also be like you say that the the faster equipment is manageable for the player but i think this is not the case so often. The best would still be if he can try other friends rackets or blades.

I can not see how slow equipment can limit anyone at all. For harder You'll need to hit harder, that way You'll learn to hit hard...
When Your equipment is faster it is easier to take short cuts and still win the ball, believe me I know and I like it, but noway it's good for my techique. Slow blade is king...

(The only reason I am playing a Primorac Carbon is that I was given one and all my buddies etched their name to it, so it has great nostalgic value. Right now I am not using it, but I change a lot so eventually It will be my no 1 again.)

Cheers
L-zr

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I see the vid with OP playing... right now, I would say his blade is just fine... maybe in a few years situation different, but right now, the blade is not a problem. Judging the ball and reading spin are larger isues and a blade does not help that.

maybe more time when play can better time fast part of whip to impact point at the right moment might mean player can get away with faster blade, but feel and impact still matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I can not see how slow equipment can limit anyone at all. For harder You'll need to hit harder, that way You'll learn to hit hard...
When Your equipment is faster it is easier to take short cuts and still win the ball, believe me I know and I like it, but noway it's good for my techique. Slow blade is king...

He likes to loop, and notice he's playing with H3, which, even when moderately boosted, is not a fast rubber. It's not that I recommend Viscaria to him (although it won't hurt having it now or in the future). I also think that slower equipment is better, because you try to engage the body more, and faster equipment prevents you from that. But not all slow blades are equally fitting for his preferred looping game. Stiga Allround Classic is not really optimal for looping game, IMO, and blade without hold (with kick) can in a way hinder development of your topspin stroke, it just doesn't give you the right joy. Again, that's just my opinion. So I agree with him to change the blade. There are better 5-ply blades, with DEEP hold.

(The only reason I am playing a Primorac Carbon is that I was given one and all my buddies etched their name to it, so it has great nostalgic value. Right now I am not using it, but I change a lot so eventually It will be my no 1 again.)

That explains a lot. I always wondered how on earth can you play with that blade :)

Reactions: Lazer
That explains a lot. I always wondered how on earth can you play with that blade :)
I can only play with "that blade" and a slow rubber. Luckily for me I really like Rakza 7, and it works excellent with Rakza 7 soft....

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: latej
I see the vid with OP playing... right now, I would say his blade is just fine... maybe in a few years situation different, but right now, the blade is not a problem. Judging the ball and reading spin are larger isues and a blade does not help that.

maybe more time when play can better time fast part of whip to impact point at the right moment might mean player can get away with faster blade, but feel and impact still matter.

That all fits with what I think too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
2 different kind of RPB players:
Tian Yuan "trust your pivot FH" Chen (He can use his BH, but he clearly doesn't matter to pivot and unleash his arm full power), typical chinese equipment with blue sponge H3 of course
Felix Lebrun, he learned shakehand first then swithced to RPB when he saw chinese players like Xu Xin playing like that, he just found it was... cool ! he mostly plays BHs, and even says he mosly prefers working on his BH loops, euro/jap hybrid equipment Innerfiber ZLC, D09C + D05:
Now what's the style that is more likely to be yours ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I am still searching for my style I just don’t like the idea of giving a full empty table for block when I pivot I prefer to get a more stable and spinny backhand plus with the rpb you don’t need to pivot always like old penhold days and table tennis is getting faster and faster close to the table so I prefer having that backhand and training it specially after service and when I get better going for those backhand flicks on the table.

Reactions: Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

So on impact point I need more whipping power and going into the ball more is that what you are saying?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
I am still searching for my style I just don’t like the idea of giving a full empty table for block when I pivot I prefer to get a more stable and spinny backhand plus with the rpb you don’t need to pivot always like old penhold days and table tennis is getting faster and faster close to the table so I prefer having that backhand and training it specially after service and when I get better going for those backhand flicks on the table.

Thanks for your full explanation, so you're likely to be more in the Felix Lebrun style. If you don't want to go full power on FH an H3 Blue Sponge might not be the right rubber in that case, an hybrid one (euro/jap sponge + tacky chinese topsheet) could suit your needs better for shorter and less powered strokes. There are tons of that kind of rubbers today, Yasaka Rakza Z, Butterfly Dignics 09C, Victas Triple Double Extra, Xiom Tau II, Tibhar K's series, Joola Golden Tango, this list isn't exhaustive it goes on and on...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
For your penholder style I would recommend stiga rosewood V. It's Xiu Xins old blade and faster than your current blade, but not too fast (very similar to Korbel, see ttgearlab). It's really a do it all blade because its spinny and you can also block with it since its a bit thicker. If you want something cheaper and with more flex Avalox P500 would be a good alternative. Both blades have hardwoods on the outer ply (Rosewood and Koto). YEO is, of course, is also possible and very affordable. If you want to have a softer touch go with limba outer, e.g. OSP Virtuoso + (Cpen). Clipper is much thicker and not so versatile IMO. I doubt that this is the ideal blade for your style.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
For your penholder style I would recommend stiga rosewood V. It's Xiu Xins old blade and faster than your current blade, but not too fast (very similar to Korbel, see ttgearlab). It's really a do it all blade because its spinny and you can also block with it since its a bit thicker. If you want something cheaper and with more flex Avalox P500 would be a good alternative. Both blades have hardwoods on the outer ply (Rosewood and Koto). YEO is, of course, is also possible and very affordable. If you want to have a softer touch go with limba outer, e.g. OSP Virtuoso + (Cpen). Clipper is much thicker and not so versatile IMO. I doubt that this is the ideal blade for your style.

Yeah after some research I was thinking exactly the same I might stand by for now and improve a bit more before a new blade but I totally agree with you.

Reactions: MK73
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The only way to know is to try one. But the best way is to hit with a clubmate's racket before buying. Saves money.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I would say you could stay with what you have. You could go up a notch. I don't see you need it from the video. I do see what Lula said about how you hold the ball before you toss. If you did that in a competition, lots of umpires would call you on that. The rule states that the ball needs to be motionless in the open, upward facing palm, presented to the opponent before the toss. I would get used to holding the hand still with the palm facing up for a count of 2 or 3 before you toss. Interestingly, it will actually help other things about your serve as well.

Nothing bad happens from using a slower blade that makes you work harder and makes you reset faster. Only good things come from that.

But, if you got a new, faster blade, I don't think I would recommend an Infinity or a Rosewood for you.

I would say you would be better off with something like a Xiom Offensive S, Simple, inexpensive, plays like a faster version of what you have so it will be easy to get used to....it would be fine to get something like that whenever you want. It will be a good step up in speed from where you are without being too big a step up.