Making All Wood Blade Faster Artificially

Lately I have been testing inner carbon blades in order to increase my looping power. It was able to do while still maintaining my short game. I know that I play better with the blade, but based on how it feels, I still get the feedback, but I do not really like the feel of the blade as I have gotten so used to my all wood blade. Is there a way to speed up the all wood blade?

What all wood do you use at the moment? Maybe there's a faster all wood available? Or you could ask one of the blade-makers on this forum to make you one...

I use Stiga Offensive Classic. I just want to speed it up because I really like that blade, and I don't want to make a custom. I just need to speed that blade up. It is almost the only blade that I really like.

I use Stiga Offensive Classic. I just want to speed it up because I really like that blade, and I don't want to make a custom. I just need to speed that blade up. It is almost the only blade that I really like.

The blade has some sort of feel that I can't define. It is the only blade that feels connected to my hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Ah! Well, now you'll no doubt get plenty of advice as to faster all woods!

I also used the Offensive Classic (25 years ago) and remember it very fondly. But it is too slow now.
I've been tempted to try the Stiga Nostalgic Offensive (great review here: https://ttgearlab.com/2018/05/29/stiga-nostalgic-series-overview-lab-test/ ) but unfortunately Stiga don't make it with an anatomic style handle - so that rules it out for me.

If you just want to speed up your existing blade maybe a thick/hard varnish will do it? But that would change the playing characteristics a fair bit and might also make gluing of rubbers more difficult. You'd probably be better off selecting a faster all wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
The Stiga Offensive Classic is a great feeling composition. I LOVE the feeling of a crisp outer layer (like Koto) over the top of Spruce. If you can find a 7-ply where the top two plies are Koto and Spruce, then I think you'll get something with a very similar feeling and a bit more power.

The blade I used from 2019 - 2020 was: Larch (outer) - Spruce - Spruce - Kiri (core) - Spruce - Spruce - Larch, and I've only just replaced it with something VERY similar (only differences: Alaskan yellow cedar for the ply next to the core, and made with hide-glue).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Stiga Offensive Classic is a great feeling composition. I LOVE the feeling of a crisp outer layer (like Koto) over the top of Spruce. If you can find a 7-ply where the top two plies are Koto and Spruce, then I think you'll get something with a very similar feeling and a bit more power.

The blade I used from 2019 - 2020 was: Larch (outer) - Spruce - Spruce - Kiri (core) - Spruce - Spruce - Larch, and I've only just replaced it with something VERY similar (only differences: Alaskan yellow cedar for the ply next to the core, and made with hide-glue).

Lookout everyone,

Nate is about to be away from the sport for another two years, by then, his favorite blades will have so many cobwebs on them, you would think he was trying to help the spiders out. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018

Lookout everyone,

Nate is about to be away from the sport for another two years, by then, his favorite blades will have so many cobwebs on them, you would think he was trying to help the spiders out. :D

😄 Not true! I'm actually moving somewhere I can actually be a part of the sport for the first time in half-a-decade. I've built up a library of usable blades, so maybe I step away from blade-making for a bit while I actually get a chance to use them all! 😉