Making All Wood Blade Faster Artificially

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
[emoji1] Not true! I'm actually moving somewhere I can actually be a part of the sport for the first time in half-a-decade. I've built up a library of usable blades, so maybe I step away from blade-making for a bit while I actually get a chance to use them all! [emoji6]
Everyone SHOULD have know I was talking backwards... Vince and Mark gunna be good folk for you up there.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Stiga Offensive Classic is a great feeling composition. I LOVE the feeling of a crisp outer layer (like Koto) over the top of Spruce. If you can find a 7-ply where the top two plies are Koto and Spruce, then I think you'll get something with a very similar feeling and a bit more power.

The blade I used from 2019 - 2020 was: Larch (outer) - Spruce - Spruce - Kiri (core) - Spruce - Spruce - Larch, and I've only just replaced it with something VERY similar (only differences: Alaskan yellow cedar for the ply next to the core, and made with hide-glue).

Offensive Classic is: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba

Not sure about the Nostalgic, but I know the Nexy SPEAR is a blade from Nexy with the same plies that is notably faster than the Offensive Classic. I took a look....the Nostalgic, the top ply is different. Still, it could be a fine option. But I know, the Spear feels like a more solid and faster version of the Offensive Classic.

The feeling of the Spruce under the Limba is a bit addictive.

Reactions: Nate4s
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: Avalox P500 is Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto.

In the 1990s Offensive Classic did have a Koto top ply (so same plies as P500. But it has been a long time that Offensive Classic has been made with the Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba ply construction.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And, a side note: For sure, one of the blade makers on the forum, like Nate or Hipnotic, could make a blade with Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba aiming to make the blade feel like an Offensive Classic but faster. I am confident they could do that. But the Nexy Spear may be worth trying.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Ok so you're searching for a blade with koto as outer veneer to keep that spruce intermediate one maybe ?
Butterfly Kong Linghui has it like this: koto - spruce - ayous - spruce - koto
DHS PG2
DHS PG3
Hurricane King (Wang Liquin)

I guess those blades were all based on the old Offensive Classic as Stiga was a favorite choice for chinese players in the 90's - 2000's, I've used one as I also got some Clippers,and yes the ones that came after were surprisingly a bit dull...

Reactions: alas26 and MK73
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Music&Ping;345032 said:
Ok so you're searching for a blade with koto as outer veneer to keep that spruce intermediate one maybe ?
Butterfly Kong Linghui has it like this: koto - spruce - ayous - spruce - koto
DHS PG2
DHS PG3
Hurricane King (Wang Liquin)

I guess those blades were all based on the old Offensive Classic as Stiga was a favorite choice for chinese players in the 90's - 2000's, I've used one as I also got some Clippers,and yes the ones that came after were surprisingly a bit dull...

As I said above, The Stiga Offensive Classic DOES NOT HAVE A KOTO top ply. The top ply is LIMBA.

The ply construction of the Offensive Classic is: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba

In the 1990s the ply construction of the Offensive Classic did have a Koto top ply. But it has been a long time since then. So, I don't think he is looking for a Koto Top Ply.

Feel free to read my post from 1 hour before you posted this and see what I recommended. :)

• Angry
Reactions: Music&Ping
Thank you all for the suggestions. So from what I have been able to gather is I either change my rubbers to adapt (will not plan on doing this), seal my blade (high chance to try this), get a new blade that has similar feel (might try this but I would need to know how a koto spruce vs limba spruce compare because a hurricane hao here is around 80 something dollars which is okay but not my first option or I can get an avx sp5(p500 and i cant find the nexy blade) around 35 dollars here and it is already 50 percent off) would a koto outer ply provide me more speed while still retaining that good feel? Or is the speed just a very tiny bump. What do you think all? Thanks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you all for the suggestions. So from what I have been able to gather is I either change my rubbers to adapt (will not plan on doing this), seal my blade (high chance to try this), get a new blade that has similar feel (might try this but I would need to know how a koto spruce vs limba spruce compare because a hurricane hao here is around 80 something dollars which is okay but not my first option or I can get an avx sp5(p500 and i cant find the nexy blade) around 35 dollars here and it is already 50 percent off) would a koto outer ply provide me more speed while still retaining that good feel? Or is the speed just a very tiny bump. What do you think all? Thanks.
Koto will be harder and provide less dwell so, less spin. With good technique it won't matter. They will feel different. Both will feel good.

If there is an inexpensive blade with the Koto top ply like the P500, nothing bad would happen if you try.

The speed won't be worth mentioning. Some OCs will be faster, some will be slower. Speed class will be very similar. A harder top ply is not what would change the speed class. Gluing process, wood treatment, aging, ply thickness....those things would be what would change the speed. If this was not the case, you could not have blades with the same ply construction that range from All, All+, Off- to Off all with the same exact ply construction but different speeds.

As for adding sealant to the top layer: a very thin layer to protect the wood might make sense. Adding more than that will change the feel of the top ply and will not necessarily make the blade faster. So, you could end up with a slower blade that feels like crap because it has a thick layer of Poly on top making it feel like a piece of furniture. Therefore, I would not recommend that route. :)

PS: Nexy Spear I have used is noticeably faster than any OC or P500 I have tried.

Here: https://nexyusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/spear

You should be able to find it other places. But that is one place where you can find it.

Last edited:
Koto will be harder and provide less dwell so, less spin. With good technique it won't matter. They will feel different. Both will feel good.

If there is an inexpensive blade with the Koto top ply like the P500, nothing bad would happen if you try.

The speed won't be worth mentioning. Some OCs will be faster, some will be slower. Speed class will be very similar. A harder top ply is not what would change the speed class. Gluing process, wood treatment, aging, ply thickness....those things would be what would change the speed. If this was not the case, you could not have blades with the same ply construction that range from All, All+, Off- to Off all with the same exact ply construction but different speeds.

As for adding sealant to the top layer: a very thin layer to protect the wood might make sense. Adding more than that will change the feel of the top ply and will not necessarily make the blade faster. So, you could end up with a slower blade that feels like crap because it has a thick layer of Poly on top making it feel like a piece of furniture. Therefore, I would not recommend that route. :)

PS: Nexy Spear I have used is noticeably faster than any OC or P500 I have tried.

Here: https://nexyusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/spear

You should be able to find it other places. But that is one place where you can find it.

Thanks, Carl. Since I cannot find the nexy spear in my place. Maybe I can try like a YEO?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Thanks, Carl. Since I cannot find the nexy spear in my place. Maybe I can try like a YEO?

Of course you can. But don't think it will feel anything like the Offensive Classic. Walnut as a top ply will not feel anything like Limba. :)

Will you like it? The only way to find out is to try one. That might be by borrowing one rather than buying it. But it will not really feel like an Offensive Classic. If what you like is the Spruce, it could be a great choice. If what you like is the combination of the Spruce and the Limba, you may not like it so much. It will be considerably harder than the OC.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020

As I said above, The Stiga Offensive Classic DOES NOT HAVE A KOTO top ply. The top ply is LIMBA.

The ply construction of the Offensive Classic is: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba

In the 1990s the ply construction of the Offensive Classic did have a Koto top ply. But it has been a long time since then. So, I don't think he is looking for a Koto Top Ply.

Feel free to read my post from 1 hour before you posted this and see what I recommended. :)

Again, someone's misunderstanding me, and I don't like it, really: the OLD OC were indeed having a koto outer layer, but in the mid 90's they became... different, different feel. Bear in mind that I've starting table tennis in the late 80's, so... I know a thing or two about blades of that era you know... ?

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY WHAT I WRITE

I've said that the blades I've mentionned were based on the OC, because it's obviously old blades, most of them released in the late 90's, early 2000's. To me those blades were based on the old OC, I stand my words. The correct answer from you Carl would have been "do you mean you think those blades were based on the OLD OC composition ?"

I'm really tired, again, of people making false asumptions about my words because, hey... they don't want to understand, or only understand what suits them.

End of discussion to me.

🤐😡

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Music&Ping;345103 said:

Again, someone's misunderstanding me, and I don't like it, really: the OLD OC were indeed having a koto outer layer, but in the mid 90's they became... different, different feel. Bear in mind that I've starting table tennis in the late 80's, so... I know a thing or two about blades of that era you know... ?

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY WHAT I WRITE

I've said that the blades I've mentionned were based on the OC, because it's obviously old blades, most of them released in the late 90's, early 2000's. To me those blades were based on the old OC, I stand my words. The correct answer from you Carl would have been "do you mean you think those blades were based on the OLD OC composition ?"

I'm really tired, again, of people making false asumptions about my words because, hey... they don't want to understand, or only understand what suits them.

End of discussion to me.

🤐😡

I don't care what else you said: YOU SAID THIS:
Music&Ping;345032Ok so you're searching for a blade with koto as outer veneer to keep that spruce intermediate one maybe ?

AND I REALLY DON'T THINK HE IS LOOKING FOR A BLADE WITH A KOTO OUTER PLY.

So you would have to explain why you think he is looking for a blade with a Koto outer ply when he wants a blade that feels like his CURRENT Offensive Classic.

So, to me, it looks like your post was based on a misunderstanding of what LilMunchkin is looking for.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
I don't care what else you said: YOU SAID THIS:

AND I REALLY DON'T THINK HE IS LOOKING FOR A BLADE WITH A KOTO OUTER PLY.

So you would have to explain why you think he is looking for a blade with a Koto outer ply when he wants a blade that feels like his CURRENT Offensive Classic.

So, to me, it looks like your post was based on a misunderstanding of what LilMunchkin is looking for.

Please dear idiot, go **** yourself

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Music&Ping;345114 said:
Note to all users: as it seems TTD does not to comply to the GDPR to delete my account, I've told Dan I shall start insulting everyone then to get banned.

So, allez tous vous faire foutre.

Ouch, that's not good. Calm down.

My view is following: Carl initially misunderstood you. But misunderstanding is NOT ill-intent. It just happens. There was no sting in his post, I bet he meant it innocently this time.

I understood your post this way: if the OP wants faster blade, then, perhaps (because you said "maybe"), an option would be to just switch the top-layer from limba to koto. You perhaps assumed he wants (or would be good) to keep the 2nd layer spruce (perhaps you considered his rather hard and slow unboosted rubbers). So you proposed the Kong Linghui, which may very well be the best solution.

Later things escalated. Perhaps Carl misunderstood once again.

You should reconsider. TTD is not only Carl. And also a figure like Carl is necessary. Imagine if there is no guard against all this possible bullshit. We may disagree with him, but still should be a least a bit thankful.

It is all so unnecessary.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Going back to the original post/question here ... I think you need to decide whether the 'feel' that you like is, specifically, the feel of a Limba outer-ply on an all-wood blade, or is it just an 'all-wood' feel more generally.

If you specifically want to stick with the feel of a Limba outer-ply on an allwood blade then your options are really only to go for a faster 5-ply all-wood blade with a Limba outer ply, or try a 7-ply all-wood Limba outer. Adding a thick seal/varnish will, I suspect, change the feel so much that you might as well change from Limba to something else. Good options for faster 5-ply all-woods with Limba outer ply that are not too expensive are Xiom Offensive S and Tibhar Stratus Powerwood. Good options for 7-ply all-woods with Limba outer are many and I'd suggest you read Patrick's many reviews on the blog section of TT11.

If you just want to retain the all-wood feel, but are willing to try a switch from Limba to Koto - which will give you a bit more speed/power but retain the 'natural' feel, then Donic Persson Powerplay is a good option. It's a well-proven blade that's somewhere in between a 5-ply and a 7-ply (it's 5 + 2 'foil' layers) and is also widely available at good prices.

A third alternative is to try one of the 7-ply Limba outers that has a heat-treated outer layer that's supposed to make it slightly more crisp/direct than regular Limba. Andro Timber 7 OFF is an example and also not too expensive to try.

Reactions: Nate4s and MK73
says Aging is a killer
Ouch, that's not good. Calm down.

My view is following: Carl initially misunderstood you. But misunderstanding is NOT ill-intent. It just happens. There was no sting in his post, I bet he meant it innocently this time.

I understood your post this way: if the OP wants faster blade, then, perhaps (because you said "maybe"), an option would be to just switch the top-layer from limba to koto. You perhaps assumed he wants (or would be good) to keep the 2nd layer spruce (perhaps you considered his rather hard and slow unboosted rubbers). So you proposed the Kong Linghui, which may very well be the best solution.

Later things escalated. Perhaps Carl misunderstood once again.

You should reconsider. TTD is not only Carl. And also a figure like Carl is necessary. Imagine if there is no guard against all this possible bullshit. We may disagree with him, but still should be a least a bit thankful.

It is all so unnecessary.

I think the Pandemic Lockdown has stressed out a lot of people including us TTD posters. This sometimes causes us to press send when we should have given the content of the message long consideration.

This user has no status.
This got mad fast. Who needs TV Drama when you have this:

OP: The best feeling medium fast all wood blade i've ever tried is the nittaku acoustic. it's soft but it puts the ball EXACTLY where you want. I should never have sold my LG 90g one.
It in no way related to your current blade at all. But I think if you can get over the feeling of "different" it will feel and perform even better.