Best way to maintain H3 neo tackiness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hi fellas!

I have been using H3N for FH on my acoustic for 4 month now. It’s been working well for me!

One thing I’ve noticed is its loss of tackiness. When it’s brand new, it can hold the ball for more than 5 secs easily. Right now, it’s 1-2 secs at most.

I use a non adhesive protector and clean after every play with stiga cleaner. (Also occasionally with revolution3 cleaner)

I am wondering
1) how the time of holding a ball really affect the play? I am not good enough to tell the difference.
2) what’s the sign that I should replace the rubber?
3) any ways to improve the maintenance method? Ive heard ways like using olive oil occasionally, using some water when attaching the protector, etc but havent made thorough comparison yet.

Thanks!

says Footwork footwork footwork
I use my breath or sweat and a sheet protector and it keeps tackiness. Honestly 1-2 vs. 5 seconds holding typically depends on the humidity in the building. I don’t typically notice a difference unless it’s really humid inside. Don’t worry.

I’ve had sheets last a year with similar playing properties after breaking in.

Worry more about your technique. Chinese rubber will last a long time as long as you keep it in sheet protectors and a case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi fellas!

I have been using H3N for FH on my acoustic for 4 month now. It’s been working well for me!

One thing I’ve noticed is its loss of tackiness. When it’s brand new, it can hold the ball for more than 5 secs easily. Right now, it’s 1-2 secs at most.

I use a non adhesive protector and clean after every play with stiga cleaner. (Also occasionally with revolution3 cleaner)

I am wondering
1) how the time of holding a ball really affect the play? I am not good enough to tell the difference.
2) what’s the sign that I should replace the rubber?
3) any ways to improve the maintenance method? Ive heard ways like using olive oil occasionally, using some water when attaching the protector, etc but havent made thorough comparison yet.

Thanks!

My chinese tacky rubber is still very tacky even after one year of use. I use the DHS cleaner after each session and then cover it with a plastic protective sheet. Once a month I apply a light layer of Falco Life Extender.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Thanks all for sharing!

So it seems it doesn't matter that much how many seconds it can hold the ball.
Cleaning after each play should be enough to keep it tacky for near a year.

I will keep it cleaned and get back to training then. :)
(silently unhappy because lost a change to try new equipment... )

The most important thing is not only the rubber to be clean but the hall that you are playing in too because particles get stuck on the ball and they go on your rubber after that and damage it and scratch it so playing outside is a no no too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
I can attest that the mineral oil trick works better than revolution bio cleaner once normal cleaning with distilled or soft water and a soft sponge aren't good enough.

When my rubber lost its tack, I put three layers of hair clipper oil, which I presume is mineral oil, and it absorbed into the rubber like magic!

After that, it easily picks up and holds a ball again! Now all I need is a soft sponge, as perhaps the paper towels I was using are too abrasive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I read somewhere that tacky rubbers have a pretty quick initial drop of tackyness but if you treat it reasonably well it keeps that level of tackyness for a long time and it still plays very well.

Timo said about the d09c that he likes it more after it has lost a bit of tackyness.

It might not hold the ball several seconds anymore but still spins the ball decently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I am not sure if restoring tackiness is possible. What would be the scientific explanation? If there is a tacky layer on top and it wears out it can't be restored by adding some liquid, right?
If there is a grease, dirt, dust over the tacky layer then simple cleaning with water or soap should "restore tackiness".