Serving Tip for all Types of Seres

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I got this simple tip from my level 3 coach who has one of the best serves in my country.

The idea is to hold the bat at the start of the serve with the wrist cocked at the opposite direction to the backswing direction.
So for example the forehand backspin serve you hold the bat pointing to the table before the backswing.

This same principle can be applied to all serve types.

Doing this allows a longer backswing into the whip action which somehow seems to improve the serve spin level.
Please note that if you do not have high quality serve with correct body and fast whip mechanics this tip will not work.
Your backswing should be as late as possible, fast and as the ball is dropping and as the body is coming forward.

Try this tip on the table and please report back on this post.

Reactions: iammaru and KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
I got this simple tip from my level 3 coach who has one of the best serves in my country.

The idea is to hold the bat at the start of the serve with the wrist cocked at the opposite direction to the backswing direction.
So for example the forehand backspin serve you hold the bat pointing to the table before the backswing.

This same principle can be applied to all serve types.

Doing this allows a longer backswing into the whip action which somehow seems to improve the serve spin level.
Please note that if you do not have high quality serve with correct body and fast whip mechanics this tip will not work.
Your backswing should be as late as possible, fast and as the ball is dropping and as the body is coming forward.

Try this tip on the table and please report back on this post.

yes! that's a good tip .l will try it ! l have unique way [l think] thou penholders who glue way up can do all this too.. but not shake handers rubber is glued 7mm up see pics l wanted to lighten the bat did so by 11 gms to play close to the table , it was 195 gms before also the shape of blade is now smaller lost 5 more gms ,,, the tip l discovered by accident is ;; use the second finger to whip the bat . pros like ma long use the 2nd finger to whip more but its on the handle .in that beautiful space next to the handle chamfer gets much more whip and pros can't use the second finger to whip upwards on fast serves

DAD9200E-7645-4CB3-AD1F-27107C0F5350.jpeg

pendulum and fast flat or topspin esp helps on fast serves so will share this here now l add two pics to make it easy to see

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Next step after this could be to imitate xu xin or other servers. where they don't start cocked "forward" but they whip it forward during the toss, then go back and whip again at "impact"

Don't ask me why the video is flipped to right handed but you can see it clearly on xu xin here: https://youtu.be/r9KQPlfpJZE?t=102