I'm curious if this setup is worth the cost

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Hello!

I don't play professionally but I play table tennis with my dad every day. We've been doing it for quite a long time now and we've been using premade racquets. We play european style. For his birthday I want to buy him a proper racquet but it's extremely difficult for me to find a good combination. After many hours of research I want to buy a Yasaka Sweden Extra blade with 1.8 mm Xiom Vega Europe rubbers on both sides, but in total it would cost about 90 €. He does't really play a specific style. I'm curious if it's worth the cost considering we're just amateurs. If you have any advice or other suggestions (mainly for the rubbers, I'm pretty sure about the blade), please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know much about the rubber, but the blade goes a long long way. You can by using the right rubber make it work from almost beginner all the way to advanced. That goes for most blades rated in the all to all+ range. (An off- may be a little too fast for the almost beginner)CheersL-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Yasaka Sweden Extra blade with 1.8 mm Xiom Vega Europe rubbers on both sides
Hi Linus,

Short answer: Yes. That's a really good blade and good value for money. Likewise the Vega Euro rubbers are excellent. Perhaps consider the "Euro DF" rather than the older "Euro" - the "DF" version is better and the price difference is very little.

If you are planning to also buy a new bat for yourself then an alternative you might want to consider is Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft. The reason I suggest this is that the Rakza 7 Soft is not a million miles apart from the Euro DF in terms of performance, and it's often available as a 'buy 4 for the price of 3' deal on the TT11 website. As the Rakza 7 Soft is about the same price as the Euro DF, if you want to buy bats for both your dad and yourself, this will bring your overall cost down by the price of 1 rubber.

Either way, that's a very nice setup you've chosen, and a lovely idea for a birthday present. Happy playing!

• Love
Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Hi Linus,

Short answer: Yes. That's a really good blade and good value for money. Likewise the Vega Euro rubbers are excellent. Perhaps consider the "Euro DF" rather than the older "Euro" - the "DF" version is better and the price difference is very little.

If you are planning to also buy a new bat for yourself then an alternative you might want to consider is Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft. The reason I suggest this is that the Rakza 7 Soft is not a million miles apart from the Euro DF in terms of performance, and it's often available as a 'buy 4 for the price of 3' deal on the TT11 website. As the Rakza 7 Soft is about the same price as the Euro DF, if you want to buy bats for both your dad and yourself, this will bring your overall cost down by the price of 1 rubber.

Either way, that's a very nice setup you've chosen, and a lovely idea for a birthday present. Happy playing!

Thank you so much for the advice and the nice words. I really appreciate it! I'm defenitely considering going for the Rakza instead, but on revspin.net it says that it is slightly tacky, whereas the Vega is completely non-tacky. I don't know whats better in my case...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I'm defenitely considering going for the Rakza instead, but on revspin.net it says that it is slightly tacky, whereas the Vega is completely non-tacky. I don't know whats better in my case...

The difference in tackiness between the two is very little; small enough that it really makes no difference. Those are both good quality, well-proven rubbers and whichever you choose will help you and your dad take your experience of the game to the next level and have fun developing new skills.

Thank you so much for the advice and the nice words. I really appreciate it! I'm defenitely considering going for the Rakza instead, but on revspin.net it says that it is slightly tacky, whereas the Vega is completely non-tacky. I don't know whats better in my case...

Rakza 7 (and soft) is definitely not tacky. You are probably confusing it with Rakza Z.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
The difference in tackiness between the two is very little; small enough that it really makes no difference. Those are both good quality, well-proven rubbers and whichever you choose will help you and your dad take your experience of the game to the next level and have fun developing new skills.

Alright, thank you so much!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Hi Linus,

There are many rubbers in the same "class" as the Vega Europe that could also be an option:
Andro Hexer Duro, Tibhar Aurus Soft, Nittaku Factive (slightly harder than the Europe), TSP/Victas Ventus Spin (slightly softer).
Yasaka Rigan/Rigan Spin or the already mentioned Vega Intro are also good choices (somewhat between classical rubbers and Tensor rubbers like the Europe or Hexer Duro)
Personally I would not use too soft rubbers like the Rakza 7 Soft or Euro DF unless they really fit my playing style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

I'm curious if it's worth the cost considering we're just amateurs

Probably not, coming from a pre-made bat, the Yasaka blade will be very good but the Vega Europe rubbers will probably feel too fast and not easy to control which could demotivate your father. Also keep in mind that the blade will last for years while you will have to change the rubbers in few months if playing every day. So I would rather choose cheaper rubbers, Xiom Vega Intro as someone proposed is a good choice but also some Chinese rubbers could be a possibility.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are concerned about price, you can also think about getting inexpensive Chinese rubbers and/or blade.

The blade you chose is pretty good. There would be nothing wrong with getting a Sweden Extra blade with something like 729 rubbers. They would likely cost 1/3 or more less than the more expensive rubbers you are thinking of getting. They would not be quite as good in many ways. But they would still be quite good.

If you want a less expensive blade that is still quite decent, do a search for:

Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade.

The blade is pretty decent. Not as good as the Sweden extra. But the 896 is $16.00 USD and is darn good for the price.

With 729 rubbers, 729 Focus 3 Snipe looks like it costs 16.58 Euro on TT11, that could be a good option.

Those suggestions are if you want to get one or two rackets (rubber + blade) without spending too much money. 16.58 Euro is about $20 right now. So.....2 896 blades plus 4 Focus 3 Snipe rubbers would run you about: $112.00 (USD). For one, racket, that is $56.00. :)

But Sweden Extra with Vega Europe, Vega Europe DF or Rakza 7 or 7 soft, any of those rubbers with that blade would be a good setup.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

I can't say that Rakza 7 Soft is even a bit tacky. Nothing that you would notice anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Why not yinhe Mercury 2?? Cheap as it gets but very controllable and spinny, can even be played until 2000 rating easily.
just make sure you get the soft version, it's the easiest to play.
Still my favorite BH rubber after many years.