Close in players , in milli seconds and Amicus timings ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
Close to table players , bat to bat in parts of second for wizards and Amicus ?

Strange question ,, having only played a amicus robot for over a year [in the uk we start clubs next week Wow !!! ] looking at small ladies playing close to the table on you tube like the last chinese world champion .and mima Ito l set a fast random speed and anywhere placement different speeds and spins just like open topspin rallies , on the Amicus Expert to 70 bpm equals 0.85 secs ,,,,, where 60 is one second at 40..50 to 60 l don't miss much but under 1 sec its more difficult to hit forehands than backhands cos of the longer stroke required ,at 70 some balls just fly by .on forehand side , also l only see a deflector plate . if l watch the plate move l don't see the hit point so well. The plate is almost over the table too. MY QUESTION IS how long in parts of second from bat to bat do pros take , also they hit the ball 30-40 cms behind the table adding milli secs to a robots time ... l am in my 70s in age too.have to play very close to the table . am very fit , l played tennis at county level for 35 years but hip trouble stopped that . l have only played table tennis for 4 years and 1 year robot , play with carbonado 290 [fast blade] and Barracuda great spin but slower rubber than tenergy 05 which l tried before . not tried many set ups at all , play all spin close in hit the very top of the ball half volley both sides .... that's what l developed in the free year . will see how it works against v good players soon !! so my QUESTION is ? how long bat to bat for pros in milli secs . ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
Close to table players , bat to bat in parts of second for wizards and Amicus ?

Strange question ,, having only played a amicus robot for over a year [in the uk we start clubs next week Wow !!! ] looking at small ladies playing close to the table on you tube like the last chinese world champion .and mima Ito l set a fast random speed and anywhere placement different speeds and spins just like open topspin rallies , on the Amicus Expert to 70 bpm equals 0.85 secs ,,,,, where 60 is one second at 40..50 to 60 l don't miss much but under 1 sec its more difficult to hit forehands than backhands cos of the longer stroke required ,at 70 some balls just fly by .on forehand side , also l only see a deflector plate . if l watch the plate move l don't see the hit point so well. The plate is almost over the table too. MY QUESTION IS how long in parts of second from bat to bat do pros take , also they hit the ball 30-40 cms behind the table adding milli secs to a robots time ... l am in my 70s in age too.have to play very close to the table . am very fit , l played tennis at county level for 35 years but hip trouble stopped that . l have only played table tennis for 4 years and 1 year robot , play with carbonado 290 [fast blade] and Barracuda great spin but slower rubber than tenergy 05 which l tried before . not tried many set ups at all , play all spin close in hit the very top of the ball half volley both sides .... that's what l developed in the free year . will see how it works against v good players soon !! so my QUESTION is ? how long bat to bat for pros in milli secs . ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews

sorry when l hit post nothing happened ,, but it did post ! l have not posted new topics ,,

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Strange question
This is a good question and points out a major flaw in TT robots. The TT robot should have a sensor on the net that detect when a ball hits and then adds a constant delay to simulate how much farther behind the net the opponent is. No robot does this ...yet ( Tennirobo are you listening? )

If the players play close to the table the balls will come back faster than 1 second. At a relatively slow 10 m/s,the ball will travel to the end of the table is much less than 0.5 seconds. The ball will slow down by half after traveling 5 meters but in your example the ball isn't going that far. Balls hit at faster speeds will have proportionately less time.

Your options are to move back to get more time to loop or hthe balls off the bounce using quick reflexes and challenging your opponents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
This is a good question and points out a major flaw in TT robots. The TT robot should have a sensor on the net that detect when a ball hits and then adds a constant delay to simulate how much farther behind the net the opponent is. No robot does this ...yet ( Tennirobo are you listening? )

If the players play close to the table the balls will come back faster than 1 second. At a relatively slow 10 m/s,the ball will travel to the end of the table is much less than 0.5 seconds. The ball will slow down by half after traveling 5 meters but in your example the ball isn't going that far. Balls hit at faster speeds will have proportionately less time.

Your options are to move back to get more time to loop or hthe balls off the bounce using quick reflexes and challenging your opponents.

thanks broken ball ... on the robot l tried to play further back and l can loop forehands ok from metres back ,am too old to pivot and run lots but dropping balls on the backhand are so much harder , my backhand loop is my best shot close in.So being a newish player close in is consistent l don't want to hit any dropping ball esp on backhand l loop max spin from the robot off the bounce on backhand at 12 o'clock , being left-handed also ! blocking max Amicus spin high loops is harder .. At 0.85 secs setting standing far back from the table a new ball is shot out as l hit the first ball or even before depends on how fast l set the speed . l will start playing very soon ,lucky to have had two vaccines ..l never played close in before the lockdowns but so much robot practice drove me close in cos it was better by far . a v fast loop landing long is easier to hit back than a mid diff bounce high loop . l try to loop balls inside the table if they are short too. yes ..a robot is not very like a player !!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
i agree with all that has been said so far but this is not where it ends.
The speed of the ball is not the only problem here.
I find that when playing against real players we get some short period of time
observing the opposition which then gives us the chance to anticipate the incoming balls speed, trajectory and
placement.
Once the robo has been set to a random mode we do not get any of that. The first moment we get a chance to
deal with the parameters of the incoming ball it is already coming over the net.

Slowing down the speed on the robo will likely give an unnatural trajectory.

Nevertheless, i still consider the robo a great exercise gadget 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
At 0.85 secs setting standing far back from the table a new ball is shot out as l hit the first ball or even before depends on how fast l set the speed .
This is why I made the comment about robots having a flaw because they don't have the capability to compensate for difference in your return speed and the distance the opponent is behind the net.

Obviously you don't have the robot setup correctly to simulate actual play.

l try to loop balls inside the table if they are short too.
How do you start with the paddle low when the able is in the way? You must only be using your wrist and elbow.

yes ..a robot is not very like a player !!
The robot is programmable. It is a tool. Learn to use it correctly. Program it to play like a human is there. The timing of the intervals between balls needs to change as you move back from the table and change the speed of your return and the speed of the robot's balls. Yes, it would be nice if the ball return intervals were adaptable. ( tennirobo, are you listening? )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I use the Pongfox Table tennis robot (disclaimer:I am the developer of the robot). The fastest frequency we have is .8 seconds. I use the .8 second with random placement along with random speed.
I used to struggle to play initially but later I realised that I was letting my hand down sometime to play topspin but once I fixed that I am able to play most of the balls except when it goes to extremes. The advantage for me is that I am able to watch the head rotate so I get a little bit of a start. I find it difficult to move in and out (for random speed) as I cannot notice the speed of the ball as early as direction. I feel this is useful for improving my reflexes.