Good blade for penhold short pips hitter

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
I want to switch to that classic old Chinese man short pips penholder hitter style but with some Rpb attacks because it looks super fun and I don't really have any intention of going pro. I am already a penholder and I have fairly strong wrists and hands so a heavier setup within reason is not a huge deal I plan to use 802 mystery pips in a 2.2 mm sponge and yinhe moon on my backhand. I want a blade that I can keep for a long time that isn't too expensive, I have heard that players of this style either use basswood blades or 7ply blades I saw the Avalox p700 on ttnpp for 40 dollars and they also carry the rubbers that I want. I have also seen this blade called the DHS 032 all on AliExpress for a bit less but I have heard some mixed feelings about it on other forums. Would one of these be a good blade or should I look elsewhere? Also I am running a bit low on glue so I would like to get all of the stuff from one place so they can assemble it for me. And what color pips should I use? cause I have seen lots of different players using either red or black on their forehand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi, I went from penhold short pips + rpb to "old man" single rubber style.

032 is great, 08 even better (cleaner), other brands make all basswood too. But:
1. Hard to find (especially if you have weight/thickness preferences),
2. Heavy (100g+). Not so much a problem with wrist strength, but grip slip can be unnerving.

For 2 sided, 85-95g 7 ply is a safe bet. Clipper, Extreme S, Force Pro, Andro Timber etc, are more or less interchangeable in terms of performance. But find a shape that fits your grip best. Xiom tends to have narrow necks, Andro and Tibhar are beefy, Stiga is somewhere in the middle.

For me, wider necks/handles feel more stable for rpb and are less prone to slipping. But if you lean more towards modern players who choke up on their grip (Wang Hao), then a narrow neck might be more comfortable.

FYI He Zhi Wen uses Clipper CR.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

I have a yinhe n11s But I have a huge dent on the side that separates the top layer so I can't change the rubber I think I'm just going to go for the p700

How does Nostalgia All + play compare to Clipper or Adelie ? thanks yogi bear

It felt slower but margin is small. The Wenge outer gives the nostalgia all a more crisp and hard feel on impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Im a onesided cpen shortpips style, the best blade i have tried for shortpips are regular clipper, yinhe pd437 clipper clone, xiom hinoki s7, donic ovtcharov senso v1, and palio way 005, all of them are 7plys, among those blades it turns out the cheapest palio blade suits my style, it is best when paired with very soft max short pips, i pair it with dms firestorm soft max, hope this will help you choose your set up

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
I didnt end up buying the avalox but I now have my heart set on the xiom extreme s with 802 mystery 3 but what hardness should I use and what sponge thickness also should I buy them in red or black?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I didnt end up buying the avalox but I now have my heart set on the xiom extreme s with 802 mystery 3 but what hardness should I use and what sponge thickness also should I buy them in red or black?
Go with 2.0mm or max, soft to medium if you want to go all out attack, thinner sponge if you want sink or distruptive effect on your shots, mystery 3 rubbers are hard even if you get the softest 36 sponge

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

2.0mm is already enough. Extreme S is really fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

I played Pips out with Clipper Wood a few years ago.
Put some DHS C-8 medium pips on my FH and won many points by annoying guys with weird pushes. Control is top notch.
Also tried a soft, spinny short pip (discontinued Adidas Blaze spin) and that worked wonders. Was able to execute some mid-distance loops with that as well. If weight is no issue (weight wasn't gonna be an issue with how light Pips-out rubbers are anyway) you might want to consider a JPen as well. A lot of vintage 9mm blades out there as well as new affordable Nittaku thinner models with no paint on the reverse side.
You'll often find comments stating the "feel" in these Hinoki blades are excellent but don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself.
Although seeing you listing Avalox p700 there you may want to get that too considering how rare they are to find these days.

P700, Clipper, some Hinoki, all good for your purposes and just good blades in general.