Slow down, you are not a pro...

I don't agree with the slow down idea. I am 67. On a good day I am nimble and can step around balls to hit with my FH. I can move. Normally, I now I stand with my feet growing roots deep into the floor and depend on my reach. I must respond quickly as I am within an arms reach of the table most of the time.
I should record some of our play. I bet that the intervals between hitting the ball is less than 0.8 seconds that was mentioned on a recent robot thread.

No one will convince me that being slow is good. I can't do what I did 10 years ago or at least I can't do it as often. You can convince me that some times it is best to wait for the ball to come to you and your best hitting position instead of reaching forward. I think reaching forward is often a big mistake. One can't be too eager.

Since this thread has got a little off topic about hardness of rubbers.
Too many people place too much importance on it. I do think the spin to speed ratio is important. The better you are the the faster or spinnier the paddle can be because you will have finer control, but the spin to speed ratio should be relatively constant.
Your missing the point.
A big part of the game is to enjoy...
When You play slow You have time to feel the ball, to feel the spin, to have long rallies.

Everything is not about making fast points...

Cheers
L-zr

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I try and finish rallies at the 1st opportunity, or what I perceive as the 1st opportunity, which is what my coaches are questioning, is my decision making correct? Am I in the best position to try and kill the ball off? 30% of the time probably not, the other 70% is sort of split (especially on BH) 35% - 35% yep right place and timing, and nope right place bad timing, I take the ball too early, I’m a little quick onto the ball rather than letting the ball come to me. Hence they ask me to slow down, I have more time than I think I have.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I was talking about having fun.
And when your speed is at max a very short amount of time is used and the rallies becomes so short that a game is no exercise at all.

One has to take into consideration the fact that in a forum like this there is a very broad spectrum of players and skills.
Everybody from the bloody beginner to the top-class player is here.
Should everybody slow down their game ?????????????????
I don't have to slow anything down, my game is slow enough as it is, just to give an example.
Others of course are serious fighters and in their matches slowing down means getting slammed into a corner by their serious opponents. Slowing down will not be an option.

or did i miss something ????????????

One has to take into consideration the fact that in a forum like this there is a very broad spectrum of players and skills.
Everybody from the bloody beginner to the top-class player is here.
Should everybody slow down their game ?????????????????
I don't have to slow anything down, my game is slow enough as it is, just to give an example.
Others of course are serious fighters and in their matches slowing down means getting slammed into a corner by their serious opponents. Slowing down will not be an option.

or did i miss something ????????????

Don’t be silly,
You can play any way you want, but I rather slow down a little bit to get longer rallies. That is more fun and exercise than just one or two times over the net. That goes for watching as well...

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Don’t be silly,
You can play any way you want, but I rather slow down a little bit to get longer rallies. That is more fun and exercise than just one or two times over the net. That goes for watching as well...

Hear hear. The title of this thread should be quite clear, it is meant for the hobbyists or enthusiasts. Slow down and play the spin. Enjoy the game, not the win.

Reactions: yoass