This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Palestinian Territory
    Read 0 Reviews

Basic question about RPB blade

Hi,

What shape of blade is required/recommended to play RPB?

I'm pretty sure this has an obvious answer but I havent managed to find it online, so any advice would be appreciated. I see that there is such thing as a penhold blade, but I haven't been able to figure out if these are just for traditional one sided penhold play, or is that also the type recommended/required for RPB.

The background of my ignorance: I've always played shakehand but after seeing so many ridiculous Xu Xin shots, I want to try out RPB for a while. I've tried it just using an old flared shakehand blade and had some issues, and so I'm trying to decide if I should get myself a special penhold blade to give RPB a fair shot. Generally I found it very hard to find a comfortable grip that I could stick with. Also I have a bit of wrist and thumb pain today after trying. So I'd like to know how much of these issues could be due to the blade, or will I just not be able to do RPB.

Thanks

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,813 14,232
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,232 15,813
    Penhold grip requires a lot of work from fingers. I believe it is common for penhold players to feel pain in their fingers because you use your fingers and have them in a strange position while holding the racket. So, this issue may not have to do with the fact that you are using a shakehand racket with a flared grip.

But, if you wanted a blade that is good for using the RPB, then get any blade that is CPen (Chinese Penhold) not JPen. CPen will look like a shorter version of a shakehand handle. A JPen blade will have a shaped handle where the two sides are different.

They do make JPen handles these days that are designed to have rubber on both sides. So, theoretically you could use one for RPB but I believe most people who do RPB are using a CPen blade/handle.

The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

zeio

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

says 快、準、狠、變、轉

Master TTD Member 7,834 5,639
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉

Master TTD Member 5,639 7,834

User Info Menu

Jan 2018
    PNG
    Read 0 Reviews
    Most C-pen(Chinese penhold) blades that have been released in the past 20 years are designed with RPB in mind, with a longer, squarish head. The "industry standard" is Yasaka, namely the Ma Lin series.

The one with the shortest handle is C-pen. https://www.yasakajp.com/performance_racket/

The Following User Likes zeio's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

Last edited by zeio; 05-24-2021 at 06:38 AM.
    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

says Improving with the speed of light.

TTD Member 20 88
    says Improving with the speed of light.

TTD Member 88 20
    From exp I can tell you get any Cpenhold blade and get a lighter one around 80grams if you feel wrist pain also I play rpb from the start and I don't feel any wrist pain or finger pain only when I have a training session more than 3 hours then my fingers feel funky so you should look into your warmup before playing.
    Also make sure you have the correct grip for rpb RPB - YouTube Here Chen Bowen explains it really good how the grip works for service and for rpb and forehand loop and where to apply pressure on the racket. And a little tip when getting rubber for rpb make sure its around medium to high trow it makes a huge difference believe me I find rakza 7 to be very good for me now it really helps me on those hard balls in games specially serves many good people when they see you are playing penhold will serve on your backhand and you need that control.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 41
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 41 6

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Philippines
    Read 0 Reviews
    Played RPB for years and my conclusion is use anything you have whether it'd be a brand new CPEN, modified Jpen or an old spare SH blade you might have lying around.
    To be quite honest ST handle might be the best. Light on wrist, balanced setup, a nice big thumb/forefinger rest for you to really hook your hand in and let it rip.
    I will say this tho. BE PREPARED FOR HEAVY SANDING. Once you've decided to play penhold whatever blade you decide to use loses all its resale value. It's especially harder for me being left-handed. Maybe I wanna spend a few $$$ just to try then sell that blade for a lower price later? Nope. That money I spent? Gone. It might be a different story if you're right handed as you may find a few players wanting to dabble in Penhold to unload your equipment if you decide the style isn't for you.