Xiom Zetro Quad - opinions, experience

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

Personaly about the balde i havent used it butt the handle from what ive learned in the chineese philosofy they say that the Flared handle is the best for the FH strokes but is weaker at the BH and the flat handle is better for better serves and better BH but u cant relax it so mutch as the flared one or u are gonna drop it :)

Hello folks,
I am interested in your opinions and experiences regarding Xiom's Zetro Quad blade. People who used it or use it now.

What's your gameplay experience with it, what kind of rubbers you used, which ones do you think flare a good fit? Can you compare it with any other blades?

Xiom Zetro Quad is an excellent blade, but it is a "feature" blade, which means that you should have the sense and the ability to use its features.
You should have the sense to feel Hinoki, and you should have the expertise to hold that Hinoki, enforced by the carbon layers. Its a very fast blade, which at the same time provides a very wide threshold from touch to kill.

For me it plays better with harder rubbers. Softer springy rubbers are killing the magnet Hinoki feel.

Palio V1 is an 11 ply, 7 wood + 4 carbon blade, which is harder, but still flexy enough /strange, yah/, and it performs very close to Zetro Quad.
But it lacks the Hinoki spell.

Anyway, if you can't feel that Hinoki spell, look elsewhere.

-----

It is interesting that you liked hard rubbers on ZQ and I would really like to know how did you make it work. I find harder rubbers somehow difficult to produce spin, while it wasn't the issue on a different blade of similar speed. The arc is there, the unique feel like the ball is right there, glued to the rubber for a split second, is very prominent, and loops are easy to land, but the spin is just not there.

The worst of all I have tried was probably 39-deg Jupiter 2. Even when boosted, it just doesn't deliver the spin unless there is a very good brush contact. All while looping itself is a breeze, it has never been so easy on a different blade with J2 on it, the arc is sharp and low but you can see very well how the ball dips low after clearing the net, it is that the spin you expect is not there and a decent training partner can just keep blocking everything back with ease!

​​​​​​Joola GT PS was a bit better; hitting harder using some body transfer further away from the table increased the spin delivery dramatically, but previously used heavy PG9 blade worked much better with it. Also Gewo Nexus EL Pro 48, which should be softer than Joola, was so harmless unless I hit very hard, and it's just stayed harmless in terms of spin if used on backhand.

The only hard rubbers I could see performing well were Nittaku Fastarc G-1 (if it can be considered a hard rubber) and Kokutaku 007 Pro.Selected with 39 degree hard sponge. That's a very tacky topsheet attached to porous, very elastic and bouncy sponge, and the rubber feels much softer than it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010

Hello folks,I am interested in your opinions and experiences regarding Xiom's Zetro Quad blade. People who used it or use it now.What's your gameplay experience with it, what kind of rubbers you used, which ones do you think flare a good fit? Can you compare it with any other blades?

Hi,
PFOUH ! So long I didn't post anything...

I'm an intermediate level player.i'm playing with ZQ for at least 5 years.
I have several, from 86 to 95g, flared and 1 cpen (for fun).
I play sort pips FH, and pips in on backend, pretty close to table.
My best matches when paired with Xiom Zava (no longer produced) and Tenergy 25.
Sometimes I twiddle.

I tested a lot of different offensive blades, I'm quite a test addict 😎, but I return to this one each time I get my playing level back (I had several medical issues last years).
The blade is quite dynamic, stiff, but with a real smooth touch.
Although it is stiff, it is an absolute spin machine.
It has several gears.
A little bouncy on short game.
Tremendous control when you have learned to tame the different gears of the blade.
It's a blade with unique construction : 5+2+2, outer and inner composite layer.9 plies, so quite stiff, but not hard.
Thick Hinoki outer ply : when you like Hinoki, I think you like this blade.
Composite outer layer, Zylon. Hinoki + Zylon help you grab absolutely anything, So the "absolute spin machine" nickname 😁.
Composite inner, carbon. When you switch from a tangencial touch (ie. top spin) to a more direct play (ie smash), you can sense the carbon kick in for additional power.

Difficult to compare it with other blade due to construction.
But you must like the Hinoki touch to appreciate ZQ.
A premium for my type of play.spin machine on the backend (top spin, flicks, hard push).
Hinoki+Zylon helps me for topspin in the forehand with pips.
Once the ball is lifted up, carbon comes into play for forehand pips smash.

When you search for "rubber compatibility" with ZQ on the net, it seems that pretty everything is OK.
I tested several rubbers (except chinese tacky),
I think ZQ matches quite well with everything.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi! I agree with Langel comments. Its a great blade, the best for me.
Same as Sigurd, I played with ZQ for the last years (6 or 7 I think).
I’m a testing blade addict too, but havent find no other blade that play better for me in 20 years of playing. For that reason I own 4 ZQ blades. It sound to much, but I plan to play with it for many years.
Great with harder german rubbers. With soft rubbers it feels to springy.
I added a balsa layer (1,5mm) in the backhand side to use the long pimple in OX. It works great. If the LP has 0.5 mm sponge it is not neccesary to add this layer.
I’m testing different rubbers and balsa layers in 3 of my ZQ right now.
very good results. The best blocking blade. Very good for looping and great for hitting with harder rubbers.

hope this help!
BR