Worst "Technologies" and Gimmicks in TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I don't deny it.
The OP wants to know about the worst technologies/gimmics. My point is that almost all technologies are gimmicks because they don't allow you to do something special that can't be done with out the gimmick.
I said almost. I am waiting for someone to mention an exception.

The topsheets of Euro/Jap rubbers are now grippier than they were in the 1980s and one does not need to use speed glue (at least for some time) ;)
Blades: No real innovations but this is mainly due to the restrictions that the ITTF has put in place.
Lighter blades and rubbers would be a real innovation. Hitting a 2.7g ball with a 100g or 200g racket accelerated to the same speed makes not much difference (~1.35% in the ideal case) but we would "waste" only half the energy...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Der, Jones baldonado is a friend of mine. He has the skill and feel of a high level player. He is a defensive player but he can loop and everything
Our country's top player is a chopper. He is a good hardbat, sandpaper and normal racket player. Does he loop and do other strokes? Of course he does!! Even JSH and Waldner played hard bat. what does it prove that you cannot tell the difference between the spin and speed of rubbers or equipment? It is funny people will make examples that are ridiculous to prove their point. Let us go back to the basic here, the skilled people mentioned are people who can tell the difference in performance of equipment are because they have diveloped feel aside from their obvious skill. Again, if you have a lousy stroke and feel and cannot tell the difference between equipment performance, go back practicing instead of pushing wild ideas that are a waste of time for serious players. Some ideas are for equipment manufacturing but do not push far off ideas in terms of playing when you yourself do not even know the correct strokes (not you Der).
​​

Another way to put it is the people citing those very skilled hardbat players to make some sort of point certainly don't have that skill or feel.

Or put yet another way, those people making videos of themselves "looping" are indeed making a point. Only they're not making the point they THINK they're making.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I have the best loop. Nobody knows about table tennis better than I do.

Reactions: Baal

The topsheets of Euro/Jap rubbers are now grippier than they were in the 1980s and one does not need to use speed glue (at least for some time) ;)
Blades: No real innovations but this is mainly due to the restrictions that the ITTF has put in place.
Lighter blades and rubbers would be a real innovation. Hitting a 2.7g ball with a 100g or 200g racket accelerated to the same speed makes not much difference (~1.35% in the ideal case) but we would "waste" only half the energy...

As what i have been saying an unskilled player presenting or forcing his wild ideas despite not testing equipments, who cannot distinguish equipment difference is like believing a blind person who went to watch a movie.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

As what i have been saying an unskilled player presenting or forcing his wild ideas despite not testing equipments, who cannot distinguish equipment difference is like believing a blind person who went to watch a movie.

Yogi can't come up with anything but an ad hominem attack and distorting what I said.
https://drcharlieself.com/uncategorized/ad-hominem-attacks-the-refuge-of-the-thoughtless/
it isn't about distinguishing equipment differences, it is how these differences/gimmicks make a difference. What can you do with one gimmick that you can't do without it or with another gimmick.
Thoughtless Yogi can't hasn't answer that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Y'all shoulda read my review on the Schildkrot 900 I did about 15 yrs ago on OOAK forum... that sucka had all the tech that no one ever dreamed to invent and required hundreds of pounds worth of Personal Protective Equipment to operate.
Well, if you look up Donic Schildkrot Carbotec 100 you will find a blade that is 100% Carbon and that might be even more ridiculous than your review without the intended comedy.

This user has no status.
I’ve have 4 of the Dotec blades now, very comfortable once you get use to them.
recently I’ve been using them quite a lot, picked my my Primorac with the Tau 2 on it this weekend. just as a reference for how the Tau 2 played. I found that the shoulders felt sharp and were verging on being very annoying!! Sandpaper was found and the edges of the blade shoulders sanded down a little, this helped !!! But the shoulder still felt thin.

As you can see the Dotec handle follows the shoulders of the blade, rather than going straight on in the conventional manner, exposing the blade plies at the shoulders, which can give that sharp edge feeling.
After following Der’s blade making challenge, I’ve been thinking about having a blade made by one of the excellent blade makers that post on TTD.
My handle spec would be for a standard concave style handle but with the neck and shoulder as the pictured Dotec blade. 😀

Nice rubber you got there 😏

Reactions: IB66
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Nice rubber you got there 😏

Yeah the C2 is good, I haven’t really given it a run out during training, just testing at home. Previously it was mounted on a Viscaria, the Dotec blades have a different shape, so when I re-glue onto the Dotec
in order to get the ‘best fit’ I have to leave a slightly splayed gap at the bottom!!!!
Should really give the V1 and C2 a go on Tuesday at training!!

Reactions: Rinforzando