Blades with two sides?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hey! Hope everyone is fine in these strange times.

Do you guys know of blades that have one faster side and one slower side?

I use short pimple on forehand and backside on backhand and have tried a lot of blades. Feel like harder faster blade are good for the forehand smash but not as good for e backhand loop and vice versa.

I know that Xiom have the ice cream, Joola the hybrid and Stiga also had one back in the days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

I've seen a Defensive player make good use of the single-sided carbon ones (it was a Yinhe blade. forgot the exact model).

Reactions: riemsesy

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have the same problem, koto blades seem better for SP on backhand, but I prefer Limba on fh for spin and control.

There is a recent DHS blade which is alc koto and alc limba, but I cant remember what it is called, ill try and find out.

Why Don't you get the blade maker on the forum to make you one?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Dingo and Swiss (DS) make some blades that have different speed ratings for FH & BH
Yin Yan blades,
Yan = FH, Yin = BH
Ding Yi special( Yin Yan All) DS ratings - speed FH60/BH40, control 100/100, large head size 165x156 5ply, weight around 65g, which is super light for a defensive sized blade!!! ( weight taken from DS website ) €69
Yin Yan Carbon light, speed FH85/BH80, control FH 90 BH 98, 7ply, weight 85g €99

couldn’t find anything about specific / different veneers used.

These blades (brand) are endorsed by Ding Yi, who was apparently a world class player in his day, currently Senior European Champion.
blurb says the Yin Yan blades are designed for LP/SP/Anti on BH etc

I have an earlier YIn Yan blade, now discontinued, distinct sound, I was using inverted both sides, H3 Nat blue sponge FH and Donic Slice 40 on BH, nice blade.

could be worth a look.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Big thank you! Pretty amazing that it is possible to ask a question through the internet and get so much help.

It is probably more of a thought at the moment. Can not buy so much as a student haha. I do find the concept interesting since I feel like short pimple and backside work better with different blades. Seems like there are more blades like this for defenders? The blades with all wood and one side carbon looks interesting.

Have anyone actually tried a blade with two sides and have some comments? And do you guys if Wang Zeng Yi actually use that blade?

take care!

says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
May 2021
Big thank you! Pretty amazing that it is possible to ask a question through the internet and get so much help.It is probably more of a thought at the moment. Can not buy so much as a student haha. I do find the concept interesting since I feel like short pimple and backside work better with different blades. Seems like there are more blades like this for defenders? The blades with all wood and one side carbon looks interesting.Have anyone actually tried a blade with two sides and have some comments? And do you guys if Wang Zeng Yi actually use that blade?take care!

That's one tricky thing meddling with pips. One setup feels good for the pips, not for the inverted/backside, vice versa.Also pretty curious with those 'two-faced-blades', like the DHS hurricane G, Yinhe pro 11s 12s 13s, Xiom Ice Cream, etc. 🤔🤔🤔About Wang Zeng Yi, some says clipper CR, some says Avalox p700, don't really know. Most pips-out player uses 7-ply clipper-style blade AFAIKI've used short pips before stopped playing 4-5 years ago, using Clipper CR WRB, and learned why most pro's with pips-out on one side (especially short pips) use it. Good balance between both pips and inverted side (though sometimes when I twiddle, it's fun to whack balls with forehand using SP, giving some surprise elements to opponents, but pretty much risky to rip some backhand loop with 40degree hurricane 3 😂😂😂)

Last edited:
The thing with combi blades that have 1 carbon side is that the slower non-carbon side is really not that slow and it is still affected by the other side's carbon layer.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The blade flexes and reacts to the ball as a unit, so on asymmetric blades the two sides would play nearly the same IF you put the same rubber on both sides. The overall speed aould be somewhere intermediate between the two sides. Feel might be slightly different (at least if there is a composite on only one side, less so if it was just different wood). However people using those kinds of blades pretty much never do that, they would usually put pips on one side (or at least a very different rubber on the two sides), so they're not going to actually know that the wood is working as a unit..So as someone else said, it is a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:
Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
There are two main variables that define the speed of a blade, stiffness and hardness. They are closely related and it's hard to change one without changing the other. Stiffness is dictated by the stiffness of the individual plies and their relative distance. So, as Baal pointed out, when you use a softer layer on one side and a harder one on the other, the blade will still flex as a unit, although the stiffness will be less than if you would have used two hard layers. However, wood only has significant stiffness in one direction, along the grain, this is why a blade is comprised of cross glued layers. So, there are ways to mess with the stiffness and make the blade flex more in one direction than the other, but this difference will always be small. Making changes in the hardness is much easier to do, but again, substantial differences are need in order to feel a difference in performance. Changes in hardness usually translate in a different trajectory and feel.

I have made many combi blades and tested them with the same rubbers on both sides. So, I wouldn't say it's a gimmick, but don't expect a big difference by just using a different top ply or fiber on both sides.