Is there an alternative to Tenergy 05fx now?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MOG,

What I am about to say certainly applied to where Der_Echte was 4 yrs ago, and it still applies to myself today, despite great imporvements there.

You will be better off not worrying about the exact rubber or blade within the same class that is appropriate for your strategic goals. (I think your big strategic goal is to have a reliable and powerful or spinny FH that lands when you decide to break it out) You will be better off doing the things it takes to improve the consistency and quality of your FH. Worrying about that is like a 10x better factor over trying to optimize an exact rubber or blade.

Your blade and rubber are not rediculously out of the zone of appropriateness to learn a great FH. They are close enough to the center of mass that you need not over-worry about them.

You should be worrying about staying in a crouch. You should be worrying about doing a slight knee bend when opponent impacts ball and be sure your stance is wide enough. You should be worrying about efficient movement to the ball, whether it is a single step, a 2 step, a 2 step slide, a power bounce and feet slide, a cross step, etc. You should be worrying about being to position on time being aware of opponent and stance so you can make a good shot selection and make your shot right when you plant so you do not give time to opponent to ready your body - your shot is going to where it is before he can calulate stuff. You should be worrying about NOT impacting ball too far in front of the efective strike zone. You should be worrying about either moving forward to the zone or waiting a bit for ball to arrive to the zone. You should be worrying about timing your explosion and final bat speed whip to happen right at the time of impact and at the right point of where the impact should be - center of effective strike zone. You should be worrying about if you are playing too upright. You should be worrying about being about to discern upon opponent's impact what the ball has on it, where it will go, at what height, depth, and horizontal (3D position) the ball is gunna be, so you can figure out subconsciously where to go so that you can play a shot that will be to your advantage and with leverage and power transfer. You should be worrying about having zero tightness and making easy power. You should be worrying about efficient biomechancs and avoid overly large strokes, especially closer to the table. You should be worrying about how to adjust grip pressure at impact to get the ball to do different things.You should be worrying about your visual "GO" cues that tell you when it is time to step in over the table on serve receive to execute the shot you have in mind as there is comppletely different times and cadences to step in for a safe/more grazing or aggressive more solid contact of ball. You should be worrying about where to take the ball in height after bounce as there are totally different strokes and impacts for on the rise aggressive and on descent safe shots. You should be worrying about how to adjust your shot when you not in a good position to still get ball on table with some kind of quality.

These are SOME of the things I can think of off the top of my head that I have improved on a lot, which really contributed to improved shot quality/consistency and better shot making in general. I STILL have to get better at these... because these are foundational SKILLS that contribute a LOT to the point, game, and match at my level and the next few levels to which I want to achieve.

I believe you are way better off worrying about that kind of stuff more than worrying if you have T05FX, FX-S, or the next best newest thing (Nexy's newest rubber Etika) on your FH.

When you get some really significant improvement in those things, you will see that you can start using more dynamic or more firm rubbers and do a lot more damage to opponents with them.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

But 05fx is very bouncy and I think it might be making me a bit lazy in stroke production and covering up some weaknesses in technique and timing.

I would argue that T05FX, and other rubbers in its class of modern dynamic soft, like FX-S are SO DAMN FLEXIBLE OFFENSIVE destructive helps quality and consistency on aggresive strokes. If one is getting along the development of fundamentals, one can certainly begin to use such a rubber incresingly more effectively with increasing consistency and quality as fundamentals imporove.

The spin reactivity might be a detriment where you just stick bat there... but in offensive table tennis, you don't get rewarded for doing that(except on serve receive of short underspin), so why worry about it. The benefits of such a rubber become more and more profound as you develop that I believe that a player who is far enough along in realizing what to do and is taking effective action to improve would benefit from such a rubber.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

But 05fx is very bouncy and I think it might be making me a bit lazy in stroke production and covering up some weaknesses in technique and timing.

It is my personal belief that one can be aware of what is going on and be focused enough to pay attention t the fundamentals, biomechanics, and stroke/impact to overcome this gradually with progression.

I have had a total of zero professionally coached lessons since I arrived in California 4 yrs ago and doing just that improved form a level well above the average club level to one that is clearly 4-5 levels since then... and I still feel like there is room to imprve another 3-4 levels.

I do not believe it is beyong the realm of possibility for you either, I actually think you might have an easier time with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I know nothing about T05FX alternatives, but I do recognize quality bromance when I see it. You guys have chemistry.

I'll pay double to watch Der and MOG lick a box cutter together.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Der Echte, thanks someone awesome posts here. Sometimes someone else just needs to remind you of these things!
Your 3 posts should be automatically inserted every time someone posts about equipment!

Diggy!!!!! Nicks!!!!!

This user has no status.
Der Echte, thanks someone awesome posts here. Sometimes someone else just needs to remind you of these things!
Your 3 posts should be automatically inserted every time someone posts about equipment!

The EJ virus lasts longer than the Covid virus lol.

PRW

This user has no status.

PRW

This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I played with 05FX for a while, loved it when playing aggressively, but found it too bouncy in service returns.
Went back to Rakza 7 Soft, which has much of the same feel, just not the bounce. Slightly slower and more controlled.
Subsequently switched (current rubber) to Joola Maxxx-P. More power than R7S, good arc, not as bouncy as 05FX.
I have also tried Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX, which feels slightly harder to me than the R7S and PMP.
Favourite therefore is Joola Maxxx-P

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Rozena for beginners😆 MOG, you know Zhu Yuling won World Championships with it on the backhand right?🤔

I fully second this tbh.
Yes, Rozena is a level below Tenergy series but makes up for it in terms of control and it's certainly not a slow rubber.
But saying it is for 12 Year old beginners is a bit disrespectful.

I guess Zhu Yuling wouldn't stand a chance against MOG or any player older then 12....

Reactions: MOG