Crazy new EU regulations

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

How reliable have you previously found aliexpress for buying table tennis equipment, I have heard some pretty dodgy sounding reviews about it

Look on the advert you want to buy . Every seller has a rating. Go for the seller with the highest rating and also check how many items he./she has sold- the more the better.
If something goes wrong, Aliexpress has a great dispute process and most of the time you will get your money back pronto.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I never ever had a single issue with AE and I have bought a lot from them, not only table tennis stuff

Being honest, I had quite a lot of issues. Wrong items being sent, items arriving broken, items different from what was shown on the photos, items arriving too late etc
But i always got my money back or goods replaced.
Where i live, I have to be prepared to patiently wait for sometimes over 2 months for items to arrive.
Still, I can get a Hurricane 3 Neo for NZ $ 25 and it would cost me 45 to buy it locally.

I've bought several rubbers from Ali Express and I've never had problems.Always received exactly what I ordered.As someone already mentioned,just look for the highly rated sellers.There are about 3 in particular I always use and it's been fine.Of course ,the shipping/delivery time is very slow,a month from when I order for me but that's not normally a problem as I imagine most people purchase rubbers before the end of the life of their existing sheets anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

VAT + handling fee.
typical values for handling fee are between 15 and 30.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/comments/n1tj5p/new_eu_tax_regulation_from_july_1_2021/

yes, that sounds right. You paid around 20% VAT from 25eur, that's around 5 eur and the rest is handling fee for calculating and administering the VAT.
Earlier under certain amount you did not have to pay VAT and this was a loophole. So EU changed that and from July 1 you have to pay VAT from any amount. This was communicated a long time ago and pretty loudly. As far as I've heard, EU is pushing to implement some e-solution for the buyer to be able to declare the price and pay VAT by himself and avoid the handling fee, which when you buy inexpensive items, becomes disproportionally large. Another option may be, that the seller adds VAT when you buy and transfers it to the country of destination by themselves and you do not have to do anything

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I went to the courier's office today.
indeed they won't give me the package unless I give them 35 euros.
even if the amount of 35 was correct (135% more than the cost of the product with shipment incuded) in theory this starts 1st of july.
why would they charge this now?
we're still one month from the 1st of july.

overall a terrible experience.... that's why they do it.... to keep you from buying aliexpress ever again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I went to the courier's office today.
indeed they won't give me the package unless I give them 35 euros.
even if the amount of 35 was correct (135% more than the cost of the product with shipment incuded) in theory this starts 1st of july.
why would they charge this now?
we're still one month from the 1st of july.

overall a terrible experience.... that's why they do it.... to keep you from buying aliexpress ever again.

Yes, why did they charge you now if the VAT starts from Jul 1st is a very very interesting question. Maybe you could file a complaint? Then they will be obliged to reply and write the reasoning for this (this would be interesting to know..) or change their decision

I personally bought quite a lot small value stuff from Aliexpress exclusively because of this new VAT regulation starting July1 first and now I am receiving items constantly. I did not have any problems whatsoever

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

Yes, why did they charge you now if the VAT starts from Jul 1st is a very very interesting question. Maybe you could file a complaint? Then they will be obliged to reply and write the reasoning for this (this would be interesting to know..) or change their decision

I personally bought quite a lot small value stuff from Aliexpress exclusively because of this new VAT regulation starting July1 first and now I am receiving items constantly. I did not have any problems whatsoever

it seems like for the price of 25 eur the VAT was always charged..... that's why I got charged.
sometimes I remember buying stuff more expensive and not getting charged, but it seems now they are starting to be very strict with this.