Crazy new EU regulations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
not sure if you knew this but there's new regulations in the EU.
you can't buy freely from sites outside the EU anymore.
so forget about buying from aliexpress.com for example.

I actually bought a blade from aliexpress recently, price 25 eur with shipping included.
now I get a message saying I will have to pay 34 eur of taxes.
that's crazy.....
also supposedly the new regulations start July 1st but they are already charging it (I ordered this blade in 15 may, 1 month and a half before July 1st).

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
here we do not have taxes on imported goods under NZ$ 1000. However, last year the government managed to BS the big sellers to collect
a Goods&services tax for them on anything. So in reality if i purchase from ebay, Amazon and Aliexpress the will charge now 15% more on
the goods and the postage .
If one buys from smaller shops then there is no extra cost.

says Aging is a killer
It's happening in most countries as they try to catch up and understand the digital economy.
Put another way, a local TT supplier in UK or EU cannot set up his business and hope to compete with the online Chinese suppliers. This is caused simply by the cost of doing business in UK/EU etc.
As much as it hurts to pay the higher costs, Government do have a duty to ensure that it's own people can compete on a level playing field.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
It's happening in most countries as they try to catch up and understand the digital economy.
Put another way, a local TT supplier in UK or EU cannot set up his business and hope to compete with the online Chinese suppliers. This is caused simply by the cost of doing business in UK/EU etc.
As much as it hurts to pay the higher costs, Government do have a duty to ensure that it's own people can compete on a level playing field.

charge 10% 15% is ok.
charge 135% is definitely not ok and no country does that in the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
The usual import VAT calculation in Germany is (invoice price + shipping costs 1) + tariff 2)) * VAT% and depending on the carrier a disbursement fee on top if the carrier handles all this (even if you did not request that they'll more often then not do it for you) 3)
1) shipping costs will be estimated if they are not declared or you have to show that they were less than the estimate
2) tariff for sport goods is 0 afaik
3) e.g. Fedex charges at least 12.50€ for this (usually not a problem with Aliexpress shops because they don't use carriers like Fedex or UPS)

What changes on 1. July is that there will be no exemptions for goods below 22€ (and of course the additional bureaucratic overhead involved with new regulations...). https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/comments/n1tj5p/new_eu_tax_regulation_from_july_1_2021/
I think Alibaba/Aliexpress/Cainiao already have figured out how to deal with this and the worst case will be that we have to pay VAT for all orders. Still cheaper than buying from other sources.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]CLAMANT PROFLIGACY BY BUTTERFLY[/size] @Tamasu Japan Tokyo Enterprise.

Butterfly is now doing so many money donations in favour to Africa's poor nations at the expense of ordinary customers like you all you and myself.

HEH, BUTTERFLY TAMASU Co. TRULY ROB ORDINARY CUSTOMERS UNDER THE PRETENSE OF DOING CHARITY FOR THE POOR.

Look here, BUTTERFLY is now charging terrible price of 90 USD (Oh, my dear !!!!) per rubber in hope to make up for their charity deeds, so as to please Africa poor nations. Consequently, all other customers in the world , have got to pay the huge money of 90 US to cover the "faboluos charities" by Butterfly. Oh, my dear, If only could we persuade BTF from delivering so much money "alms" to Africa indigent children, then could we have BTF products dropped in price by far.
30-35 USD per Tenergy sheet is the economically fair price, as we learned from an Estonian tt-factory selling manager.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
The usual import VAT calculation in Germany is (invoice price + shipping costs 1) + tariff 2)) * VAT% and depending on the carrier a disbursement fee on top if the carrier handles all this (even if you did not request that they'll more often then not do it for you) 3)
1) shipping costs will be estimated if they are not declared or you have to show that they were less than the estimate
2) tariff for sport goods is 0 afaik
3) e.g. Fedex charges at least 12.50€ for this (usually not a problem with Aliexpress shops because they don't use carriers like Fedex or UPS)

What changes on 1. July is that there will be no exemptions for goods below 22€ (and of course the additional bureaucratic overhead involved with new regulations...). https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/comments/n1tj5p/new_eu_tax_regulation_from_july_1_2021/
I think Alibaba/Aliexpress/Cainiao already have figured out how to deal with this and the worst case will be that we have to pay VAT for all orders. Still cheaper than buying from other sources.

from that reddit post the situation looks pretty horrible.
most users are thinking they will never be able to buy from aliexpress again....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Meanwhile in China, the VAT has been reduced 2 times(2018 and 2019) in the past 3 years so that foreign companies could better compete.

https://www.mpfinance.com/fin/daily2.php?node=1554750217398&issue=20190409
委員會指出,今年以來,進口貨物增值稅率自4月1日起由16%、10%調整為13%、9%;進口罕見病藥品自3月1日起減至按3%徵收進口環節增值稅。為使增值稅的下調直接惠及市民,因此次重點下調了日用消費品的進口稅率。此次調整包括兩個方面,首先是將進口物品進口稅稅目1及稅目2的稅率,由原本15%、25%分別降為13%、20%。其中稅目1物品包括書刊、數碼相機等信息技術產品、食品、飲料、家具、玩具、藥物;稅目2物品包括運動用品、紡織品、單車等。
是次調整是配合上星期國務院常務會議,總理李克強提出下調俗稱行郵稅的進口稅要求,以令跨境電商平台、零售業界可望降低進口成本,搶佔內地消費市場。所謂行郵稅,是對個人攜帶或郵遞入境的物品關稅、或進口環節增值稅和消費稅合併徵收的進口稅。
The Committee pointed out that since this year, the value-added tax rate for imported goods has been adjusted from 16% and 10% to 13% and 9% from April 1; imported rare disease drugs will be reduced to 3% from March 1st. In order to make the reduction of value-added tax directly benefit the citizens, the import tax rate of consumer goods has been lowered this time. The adjustment includes two aspects. The first is to reduce the tax rates of import tax items 1 and 2 from the original 15% and 25% to 13% and 20%, respectively. Among them, tax item 1 includes books and magazines, digital cameras and other information technology products, food, beverages, furniture, toys, and drugs; tax item 2 includes sports goods, textiles, bicycles, etc.
This adjustment is in line with the State Council executive meeting last week. Premier Li Keqiang proposed to lower the import tax requirement, commonly known as the parcel import tax, so that cross-border e-commerce platforms and the retail industry are expected to reduce import costs and seize the mainland consumer market. The so-called parcel import tax is an import tax levied on items carried or mailed into the country by individuals, or a combination of import value-added tax and consumption tax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmP2IZl65M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJc8FhXE3dw
A lot of hospitals, unfortunately they put us to compete against China...There's an unfortunate disconnect between the manufacturers and the people that want to buy the product. Unfortunately we've been banned on Google and social media from advertising our product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp8BQBnBwn0
We know that former president Trump and current president Biden say they want to buy American. A company like this would be thrilled to have one of those contracts. They say it's a national security issue.

https://youtu.be/XlhFMa4t28A?t=4007
Seems to me what's happened in those two societies, Russia and China, is more a model of what we shouldn't do than what we should do.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Take a look historically what has happened every time a tax is reduced... almost every case, the taxes collected actually go up.

When usa income taxes were well over 50 percent for the high earners... this group paid maybe 20 percent of all income tax... few years after sharply reducing the income tax rates sharply, that group now paid 3/4+ of all income tax.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
As you probably all know UK left the EU, we now pay VAT @ 20% on all goods bought from an EU seller, if combined value is less than £135.
If combined value is £135+ then we have to pay some form of customs tax on top of that as well !! Sliding scale depending of type of product. Can be as much as 25%, could be wrong!!
Couriers also slap on a handling fee for sorting the customs tax.

TT11 price is €39 for Tibhar MXP, add the 20% Vat = €46.80, convert to £’s = £40.25p per sheet +P&P
UK TT shops retail MXP at £45 + P&P So TT11 seems to still be slightly better value for orders under £135 and they still deliver PDQ!!
Think I’ve got it right, but VAT, Customs taxes etc are now a frictkin minefield !!

General rule for UK residents is DON’T BUY GOODS FROM EU or other COUNTRIES costing more than £135 cos the tax man is gonna bring it full on !!
if you can only get a £135+ product from abroad then you are pretty much screwed!!

• Wow
Reactions: Tinykin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

That is much much too high. I think that there was a calculation mistake there.

I am not gunna nitpick the calculated percentage, but 34E tax on a 25E product is a number well north of 100% tax rate and rediculous by anyone's calculations or standard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Take a look historically what has happened every time a tax is reduced... almost every case, the taxes collected actually go up.

When usa income taxes were well over 50 percent for the high earners... this group paid maybe 20 percent of all income tax... few years after sharply reducing the income tax rates sharply, that group now paid 3/4+ of all income tax.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

The top 1% paid 40% of all the federal income taxes.
https://files.taxfoundation.org/202...atest-Federal-Income-Tax-Data-2021-Update.pdf
The US doesn't have a sales tax or VAT but the income tax is oppressive and the capital gains tax is high too. This is stupid because it discourages production while not discouraging consumption.

Bulgaria has a flat income tax of 10% compared to the US. I think Montenegro's is 9%.

However, this topic is about taxes on goods. Some countries have little or no income tax or a small flat tax. To compensate they must have a VAT in the area 15-20%. Countries that have high VATs and income taxes are ripoffs.

I buy from tabletennis11.com. They use DHL. Since I buy at least $100 worth of rubber when I buy 4 for the price of 3 I don't pay shipping. I don't get charged any tax. I don't get charged state sales tax when I buy from the paddle palace since Oregon has no sales tax.

You can buy citizenship in St Kitts-Nevus and pay no income or capital gains tax but you must be rich enough so the lack of taxes offset the cost of getting citizenship. This is how the rich people do it. However, they do have high VAT and tariffs to make up for the lack of other taxes but if you are rich you can buy Dignics every week no problem.
https://migronis.com/en/saintkitts-and-nevis/tax-residency-in-st-kitts-and-nevis