Recommendations on shoes

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi All,
I am looking for recommendations on shoes which I can wear while playing T.T. Presently, I am using ASICS Volleyball shoes which offer a good grip and fit nicely. However, I am experiencing pain in my knees and in the arch of my feet (I have high arches as well) after playing. I am working on strengthening my legs and knee exercises. However, as my age progresses, I feel that more comfortable shoe could also be an option which I could explore to reduce the tension build up in my legs and knees.
May be if not shoes then possibly some knee strap could also help as I am experiencing discomfort below my knee cap in the lower region. I am just thinking out loud here on the options which I could consider.
If anyone of you have had similar experiences and have found a workable solution then please help by sharing your experiences.

Thank you, KM1976

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Yonex Badminton shoes are really good. Even the most basic models have that gumsole + cushion you won't find in basic TT shoe models.

Reactions: KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi All,
I am looking for recommendations on shoes which I can wear while playing T.T. Presently, I am using ASICS Volleyball shoes which offer a good grip and fit nicely. However, I am experiencing pain in my knees and in the arch of my feet (I have high arches as well) after playing. I am working on strengthening my legs and knee exercises. However, as my age progresses, I feel that more comfortable shoe could also be an option which I could explore to reduce the tension build up in my legs and knees.
May be if not shoes then possibly some knee strap could also help as I am experiencing discomfort below my knee cap in the lower region. I am just thinking out loud here on the options which I could consider.
If anyone of you have had similar experiences and have found a workable solution then please help by sharing your experiences.

Thank you, KM1976

I remember having a continuous pain below my knee cap and luckily noticed that quite a few CNT members were wearing a knee strap. It was just matter of time to find, buy and try and I am(almost) certain that my pain disappeared because of this strap. It is also possible that the extensive bicycling I began at this moment might have helped as well..
The knee strap was this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Mcdavid-Support-Patellar-Tendonitis-Adjustable/dp/B00XP2DHYQ.
I don't know if shoes were the cause of the pain in my knee cap, but I know for sure after some quite ambitious and long traing period with Wave Medal 5 on a hard floor brought me a severe plantar fasciitis, which I am still fighting without any particular success

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Volleyball shoes are already highly cushioned because volleyball players have to jump and they land on hard wood floors. Asics volleyball shoes are very good. In other words I doubt adding more cushion would solve your problem, but you could try a different sole insert to increase the arch height. I'd try that before changing shoes. They are easy to find.Also,, what kind of floor do you usually play on? That's an important part of the equation. When I first started playing on Gerflor instead of wood floors I was surprised to experience some knee pain (in the same place you describe). After all, now the floor had cushion. But I had to relearn how to move, to lift my feet instead of sliding them. In time the problem resolved as I got used to the new mechanics of playing on that surface..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
It was long ago when I stopped buying tt-shoes. I feel much more comfortable with some badminton shoes and have a very respectful collection by Li-Ning,Asics,Babolat, Kawasaki and two models of Mizuno Handball shoes (Wave Stealth V and Neo) which are my favorite so far

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I have a pair of Yonex 65ZM Badminton shoes that I usually wear and a back-up pair of mizuno wave 6’s.
Yonex have quite a few different models and the 65ZM’s are for a wider foot, there are a couple of other models for wider feet as well.
From memory, I think the shop advised that Mizuno shoes may come up a little small? Anyway I bought the next size up, they were a little too ‘roomy’ but a second pair of socks sorted this out!! I think the correct size may have been a little tight, but not by much!!
I have never suffered with arch pain, so I can’t comment on that, sometimes get some knee pain but this is due to back issues, sciatica.

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Volleyball shoes are already highly cushioned because volleyball players have to jump and they land on hard wood floors. Asics volleyball shoes are very good. In other words I doubt adding more cushion would solve your problem, but you could try a different sole insert to increase the arch height. I'd try that before changing shoes. They are easy to find.Also,, what kind of floor do you usually play on? That's an important part of the equation. When I first started playing on Gerflor instead of wood floors I was surprised to experience some knee pain (in the same place you describe). After all, now the floor had cushion. But I had to relearn how to move, to lift my feet instead of sliding them. In time the problem resolved as I got used to the new mechanics of playing on that surface..

Hi Baal,
Thanks for replying. I normally play on cemented flooring covered with anti-slip mat. The level of cushioning is not that great and the flooring itself might have some aberrations. I have been playing on the same floor for some time now however, this discomfort in my knees is something new. May be I will try the movement technique you mentioned. As of now, I also opted for a new insole from Dr. Scholl which has kind of helped a bit.
Might look for some good volleyball shoes in future as well as I feel that the ones which I am using (ASICS Gel Rocket 9) are an year old and not that great in cushioning department.

Cheers,
KM1976

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks Guys,
Thank you for reading this post and replying to my request. It is difficult to thank everyone individually, but I am thankful to all who took time to respond and will surely check out your recommendations.

Cheers,
KM1976