Backhand dominant grip analysis

This user has no status.
I use a BH dominant grip, the blade shoulder rests on my index finger "big knuckle".

When I play FH, during swing back, my index and middle fingers are rigid to form a "frame" to hold the racket in position and keep the racket angle stable. As a result my forearm is also quite stiff. There's a gap between my thumb and the rubber. My index finger is curled with the finger tip resting on the rubber.
When I swing forward, my index finger and thumb contract to create a "snap". My ring and little finger are relatively relaxed, with my palm remains hollow during the stroke.

Does this resonate with your grip? Does it violate any basic principles? Comments please.

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi
Any vids of you playing?
does your grip change when hitting FH strokes?
There’s a few pro’s that alter FH and BH grips, I think Ma Long is one, thumb position changes so he can ‘push’ through the blade.
One thing is that arm ( not only arm) should be as relaxed as possible before and after impact, tenser at impact, usually happens naturally!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Half long balls and looping parallel will be difficult with that grip. Try to move the thumb down when playing forehand and see how that works. And I think you could play backhand good with less bh grip as well. So could probably rotate the racket to the left for less by grip. And a lot of players change grip a lot but I thinks good start would be less by grip by rotating the racket edge to the left and taking thumb down when playing forehand.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This is a really interesting topic and one of my coaches (Eric Owens) once told me that when you are warming up with someone you haven't played before that their grip is one of the first things to notice, and in particular whether they are BH dominant, FH dominant, or neutral. The reason is because it has a big effect on where their "cross-over" point is. Jamming someone by attacking into their body can be a really effective strategy at certain times but exactly where the "jamming" occurs depends on the grip (as it does with penholders too). So with someone with a more backhand dominant grip (like Kong Linghui back in the day) the cross-over point is further to the outside of their body. That will be on their right side if they are right handed. So to "jam" someone like that you aim more or less for their elbow. But if someone has a forehand dominant grip (far more common), you can jam them with balls that go more directly at the middle of their body. And for penholders, you need to go even more to the outside than you would with a backhand dominant shakehand player. As for what grip you actually should use, you need to be comfortable with whatever you are doing. And some people are a lot better at changing their grip between strokes than others (for example Dima Ovtcharov makes a pretty big grip change, Kreanga made an even bigger change in his day). I'm personally pretty forehand dominant. I wouldn't suggest changing your grip without a really good reason to do so. It can really mess with your head and with your confidence. Personal experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Evil
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The short answer to the OP question though is there have been some great players who play that way. The question is, are you sensing that it is causing problems for you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Timo Boll recently mentioned that in one of his "Quick Tip" videos.
I could never figure out BH for Shakehand that's why I switched over to Penhold early on.

This user has no status.
Thanks all. I should explain the context more. I have a bad habit of closing the racket angle too much subconsciously when doing forehand strokes. Have been trying to fix it by experimenting different grips for several months before reaching to this grip, which tends to keep the racket more stable due to the "frame" formed. Nothing's worse than hitting the ball with a wrong racket angle!

According to your comments, it seems there's nothing too wrong with my grip. Based on this grip, I should try to relax my arm/hand as much as possible, and to reposition the thumb more to the handle, which should help relax too.