G
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 3 1

User Info Menu

Jun 2021
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews

How to become ambidextrous

I am not a serious player but play only for exercise but also have fun.
    But I am also extremely competitive & hate to lose.
    I want to learn to play using my right hand and also become almost as good as my left hand.
    I feel this way because I think I can get to to more balls with a wider forehand reach .
    A good reason I have for this is that I want to get enough exercise my right hand just as well as for my left hand.
    In tennis I used to play two handed and so it was not too bad but in ping pong I am really bad with my right hand compared to my left hand.
    This is really frustrating for me especially when I see videos of some pro players switching hands and it seems so easy for them
    Any training suggestions ? I am willing to switch to foam rubber if I need to if that is better for me.
    Will the stroke consistency (or say my skill set in performing various strokes) be different ?
    I was researching this and one site said your brain may be wired differently but another site said it will be same because it relates mostly to your muscle memory
    What do think about their different comments ?

Thanks

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,771 14,163
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,163 15,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Gifun_Wong
    I am not a serious player but play only for exercise but also have fun.
    But I am also extremely competitive & hate to lose.
    I want to learn to play using my right hand and also become almost as good as my left hand.
    I feel this way because I think I can get to to more balls with a wider forehand reach .
    A good reason I have for this is that I want to get enough exercise my right hand just as well as for my left hand.
    In tennis I used to play two handed and so it was not too bad but in ping pong I am really bad with my right hand compared to my left hand.
    This is really frustrating for me especially when I see videos of some pro players switching hands and it seems so easy for them
    Any training suggestions ? I am willing to switch to foam rubber if I need to if that is better for me.
    Will the stroke consistency (or say my skill set in performing various strokes) be different ?
    I was researching this and one site said your brain may be wired differently but another site said it will be same because it relates mostly to your muscle memory
    What do think about their different comments ?

Thanks
    Practice shadow strokes with footwork included looking at a mirror and go back and forth from lefty to righty.

It will help a lot. If you had a robot it would also make it easier to practice using your right (non-dominant) hand.

I know a few people who are pretty ambidextrous at table tennis. But it will take a lot of work to get your non-dominant hand to be almost as good as the dominant hand.

Any time you play with someone you are notably better than, play as much of the time with the left hand as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,346 1,627
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,627 1,346

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    Start using your non-dominant hand in everyday life.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 8
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 8 2

User Info Menu

The brain is extremely plastic and learning to use your left hand/foot/etc is straightforward if you practice.

It helps to understand that coordination is primarily brain growth, which occurs during rest and sleep after you have exercised mentally. It is incremental, and just like anything else, it takes repeated practice over time, in conjunction with good diet and sleep habits, to achieve the brain growth that is associated with high levels of performance.

It's clear that simple repetition is not sufficient - there are people who take lessons for decades without achieving mastery of a skill. You must work hard, concentrate, care, try, and expose yourself to regular competition/challenge to make it happen. This means doing the same for your non-dominant hand just as you do for your dominant hand.

You should consider that all of this does not come without a mental cost - doing this, like anything else, is an investment in time and brain space - so you should have the conviction that this is important to you and is something you desire. And recognize that investing in your left hand is certainly taking away from advancing in your right hand. The best players in the world do not rely on being able to change hands in order to excel. It's far more likely that footwork, fitness and building your reflexes in order to reach harder balls is a better and more achievable goal. Most of us are not professional players who can afford most of their time and life dedicated to skill-building in table tennis, and it's probably smarter for us to focus on the places where we can maximize our investment.