Bat Weight?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
Question for people here:

I just put together a new bat (DHS 301 + Rakza Z + Rakza 7) and the total weight is 7.4 ounces (209 grams). Does that seem heavy to you? Would love to hear opinions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Yeah 209 grams is pretty darn heavy for me. My blades are generally around 80-85 grams plus average weight rubber means my setup is around 185 grams or less. You must have a really heavy 301.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
The 301 is super light. I think it's the Rakza rubber. I got the MAX sponge on both 7 and Z and I could tell they were pretty beefy right out of the package.

I thought this set up was going to rock but now I need to reconsider my options.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
heavy is not always bad. how is the balance?

if it is really head heavy then you will feel the weight a lot more than if it is even or head light. you could always take the handle apart, and fill the hollow bit with some nails and wood glue, and then put the handle pieces back on.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

if it is really head heavy then you will feel the weight a lot more than if it is even or head light. you could always take the handle apart, and fill the hollow bit with some nails and wood glue, and then put the handle pieces back on.

I agree !
If the balance is towards the handle but the head is quite light then the weight becomes virtually unimportant.
I would not though try to use nails to add weight to the handle , they are not heavy enough. Best to use LEAD which is much heavier.
Another option is to replace the normally light wood of the handle with a wood that is very heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021

It's definitely head heavy. I'm Penhold grip so with the slightly shorter handle, you can imagine how light it is. Maybe I should use some grip tape to add weight to the handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
The 301 is super light. I think it's the Rakza rubber. I got the MAX sponge on both 7 and Z and I could tell they were pretty beefy right out of the package.

I thought this set up was going to rock but now I need to reconsider my options.

if the weight did not interfere before, then why did it begin to interfere after the advice on the Internet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Are you sure your scales are accurate and precise? Did you weigh the blade before assembling the rubbers? A blade that is super light should weigh much less than 85 grams and including the rubber cut to a regular sized head, it should not be around 209 grams. Maybe you have too many layers of glue applied but it would still be pretty hard to get it to 209 grams.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
It sorta felt like an issue from the first time I used it. Was thinking it would be one of my lightest set-ups but turned out to be the heaviest. So weird. Did not expect the rubbers to be so heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021

Weighed it a few times and it's accurate. It's definitely the Rakza's that's making this bat husky. I just need to balance it out and use this bat as a trainer. Boo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
Update -

Had a pro look at the setup. He said the weight is definitely from the sponges. Again, I used max sponges on both the 7 and Z. I balanced out the weight with some grip tape and now it feels good.

For the record if anyone cares, Rakza 7 Max and Z Max are heavy. Awesome rubbers but heavy AF.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am not sure Rakza 7 or Z are noted for being a very light or very heavy rubbers.

But I am not sure that there is any rubber on the market that would make a "the 301 is super light" blade into a 209 gram setup.

I guess the question is: What does "super light" mean in your statement? Have you weighted the blade? Without rubbers on, how much does the blade weigh?

And if it is the rubbers, you may want to ask if anyone poured anything like oil onto the sponge of either of the rubbers.

BTW: I was just looking on MyTT and there is some guy on a thread saying he has a 96 gram blade with Rakza 7 on both sides and the total weight is 188 grams. :) On the same thread I saw people say weights for R7 between 60-65 grams uncut and 41-47 grams cut.

To actually figure out how you got to 209 grams, it would be worth your while to weigh each part separately: Blade, and each separate rubber.

Reactions: SamTheMan