Which <70€ Allwood 5-ply among these would you recommend ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Hi, I´ve been searching the web for 2 days gathering info for my next Blade+Rubbers because coach and teammates kinda decided I am ready for a equipment improvement and I feel the same way (I´m the one that has been less time playing TT).

As of now I´ve been using a Tibhar IV-S with Tibhar Legend on FH and BH. I don´t want to jump to top tier material in terms of speed (carbon-T05´s) as I´m still developing many of the shots. I´ve kinda decided to go for Xiom Vega X on both sides and have narrowed my blade decision to one among these 3 allwood 5-ply <70€ blades . I´ll also disclose the prices at what I can get them in case they´re important. Any other recommendation/alternative is also appreciated:

- Stiga Eternity VPS V - 66€
I´ve read is the fastest among the 3 so I´m not so sure if it is the best-suited option for me but I´ve read many good opinions in forums/reviews.

- Stiga Arctic Wood - 61€
Have heard/read good opinions/analysis and seems kinda appropiate for me as is slower but still has enough speed and possibly better feel and control.

- Stiga Nostalgic Offensive - 70€
Not as much info on this one, apparently simmilar to the Arctic Wood in terms of speed/control. This is the one that has the most appealing looks for me. It is gorgeous.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Hello.

From my point of view, the step before T05/ALC-Carbon is something like Xiom Vega Pro/Rakza 7/Donic Baracuda paired with Korbel/Xiom Offensive S/Tibhar Stratus Power Wood.

Hope it helps you.

Kind regards.

Thank you so much. Te respondo en inglés para que la gente pueda entenderlo también ;-). Is there that much difference between a Korbel with Vega Pro (I´ve heard Vega X is like an update of Vega Pro) and an Arctic Wood with Vega X. Is just that I feel like Arctic Wood and Nostalgic offer better quality of construction at least than the european version of the Korbel. And I feel I will be able to use them for a longer time as their a little bit faster.

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi, I´ve been searching the web for 2 days gathering info for my next Blade+Rubbers because coach and teammates kinda decided I am ready for a equipment improvement and I feel the same way (I´m the one that has been less time playing TT).

As of now I´ve been using a Tibhar IV-S with Tibhar Legend on FH and BH. I don´t want to jump to top tier material in terms of speed (carbon-T05´s) as I´m still developing many of the shots. I´ve kinda decided to go for Xiom Vega X on both sides and have narrowed my blade decision to one among these 3 allwood 5-ply <70€ blades . I´ll also disclose the prices at what I can get them in case they´re important. Any other recommendation/alternative is also appreciated:

- Stiga Eternity VPS V - 66€
I´ve read is the fastest among the 3 so I´m not so sure if it is the best-suited option for me but I´ve read many good opinions in forums/reviews.

- Stiga Arctic Wood - 61€
Have heard/read good opinions/analysis and seems kinda appropiate for me as is slower but still has enough speed and possibly better feel and control.

- Stiga Nostalgic Offensive - 70€
Not as much info on this one, apparently simmilar to the Arctic Wood in terms of speed/control. This is the one that has the most appealing looks for me. It is gorgeous.
Any particular reason for Stiga only??
Butterfly Primorac (all wood) is a great blade for about €40, one of their best sellers of all time, says it all really !!! Off rated.
Xiom Novus Off €45ish
Nittaku Latika or Lakita light €50, light version may be better suited to you.
Donic Burn Off-, heat treated, fairly hard blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018

Thank you so much. Te respondo en inglés para que la gente pueda entenderlo también ;-). Is there that much difference between a Korbel with Vega Pro (I´ve heard Vega X is like an update of Vega Pro) and an Arctic Wood with Vega X. Is just that I feel like Arctic Wood and Nostalgic offer better quality of construction at least than the european version of the Korbel. And I feel I will be able to use them for a longerHello,

Hello again.

The Artic Wood feels hollow, and when I talk about the Korbel is allways the Japanese version.The other two options are also great blades, the Tibhar have a comfy handle if you have big hands and the bat is slightly bigger than average blades (same as the Korbel).
About the Vega X, it´s a completely different rubber.Maybe some people can say it´s the new Vega Pro, same like if some other tell Dignics is the upgraded Tenergy, but it´s not.

There are loads of options, Nittaku Latika, Yasaka Extra...

Just buy the one that looks better for your taste and have the best handle.

Reactions: aythami40
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Any particular reason for Stiga only??
Butterfly Primorac (all wood) is a great blade for about €40, one of their best sellers of all time, says it all really !!! Off rated.
Xiom Novus Off €45ish
Nittaku Latika or Lakita light €50, light version may be better suited to you.
Donic Burn Off-, heat treated, fairly hard blade

Not at all, I´ve considered Primorac and Korbel and Yasaka Offensive but the Stiga nostalgic and arctic really caught my eye in terms of looks and have similar performance and I´m willing to pay the extra 15€. I´ll probably go for the Nostalgic.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Go for the nostalgic since you like the looks and that will be the biggest difference between these similar blades, more than how you play.

ST vs FL otoh is a choice a lot of players feel really strongly about. I don't like the feeling of a flare handle at all. Most of my friends don't like any straight handles. Have you tried some of your clubmates' blades to see if you prefer FL or ST? If you don't care then go with FL, only because that is what maybe 80% of players use, so it will be a lot easier to sell your blade used, and to buy your next blade used.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Arctic wood, I still have it until now. Great medium stiff blade that is not too slow. I also suggest Nostalgia All+ or Xiom Offensive S.

Thank you very much for your answer. Is there that much difference between Nostalgic All and Nostalgic Off? I was thinking in getting a faster blade and maybe go for slower rubbers asI´ll tend to switch rubbers more frequently and can do an easier upgrade. Could I combine, for example Nostalgic offensive with Vega Pro instead of Nostalgia All with Vega X as maybe Nostalgia Off + Vega X could be a little too much for my level?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Go for the nostalgic since you like the looks and that will be the biggest difference between these similar blades, more than how you play.

ST vs FL otoh is a choice a lot of players feel really strongly about. I don't like the feeling of a flare handle at all. Most of my friends don't like any straight handles. Have you tried some of your clubmates' blades to see if you prefer FL or ST? If you don't care then go with FL, only because that is what maybe 80% of players use, so it will be a lot easier to sell your blade used, and to buy your next blade used.

I´ll try some of them this week and decide what suits me better!! Thank you.

Thank you very much for your answer. Is there that much difference between Nostalgic All and Nostalgic Off? I was thinking in getting a faster blade and maybe go for slower rubbers asI´ll tend to switch rubbers more frequently and can do an easier upgrade. Could I combine, for example Nostalgic offensive with Vega Pro instead of Nostalgia All with Vega X as maybe Nostalgia Off + Vega X could be a little too much for my level?

Yes! the NOstalgic is much stiffer and faster than ALL+

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I don't think the blades the OP mentioned are any better than the Tibhar IV-S. It's a very respected offensive blade around here and for a good reason. I would only change the rubbers. If OP really want to change I would also suggest Xiom Offensive S

Yeah, from the list IV-S is by far the best.

Everything else will feel like hollow matchboxes, and none of them will be faster than the IV-S.

Even the Clipper type blades would be a step below, from my brief experience with the IVS.

If you still want "improvement", as in more speed, look into Nittaku S-5 or S-7, Xiom Hinoki S7 for a similar family, or follow the crowd and get a Viscaria. Everything else from the list is a step back IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: aythami40
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hello.

From my point of view, the step before T05/ALC-Carbon is something like Xiom Vega Pro/Rakza 7/Donic Baracuda paired with Korbel/Xiom Offensive S/Tibhar Stratus Power Wood.

Hope it helps you.

Kind regards.

I have played with a Tibhar Stratus Power Wood paired with Donic Baracuda and Xiom Vega Europe before. My memory of it was a very nice controlled offensive set up. It was easy to play, you can play according to your rhythm and not have this hurried feeling. I have fond memories of playing with this set up.

Just my little input on my personal experience with Tibhar SPW.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Nostalgic is quite a pretty looking blade.

However, the Nostalgic are usually around the 95g and above.

Unless you can find something lighter .. the combo might be too heavy.

Some people actually like heavier blades, as they pack a bit more punch and usually feel a bit more soild. The sensation of heaviness, however, is determined more by the balance of the blade, in my experience, than the actual weight. A lighter blade balanced more towards the head feels heavier than a heavier blade balanced more towards the handle. That balance is not dominated by the blade, rubbers also vary wildly in specific weight.

Me, I like them slightly north of 90g with a balance around the handle top.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019

The main problem with IV-S is that I got the AN handle and is too big and uncomfortable. Taking some of your advice into account I´m thinking about:

Stiga Nostalgic Offensive + Xiom Vega Pro on both sides.

Now a doubt comes to me, should I get 2.0mm Vega pro or Max? Is there much of a difference?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019

I´ve talked to my teammates. I´m actually keeping the Tibhar IV-S as some of you mentioned and we are gonna try sand out some of the bulk of the AN handle to make it feel more comfortable.
I´m getting Xiom Vega Pro for FH and BH.

I´ll get a new faster blade when I get better as there´s not that much difference speed and control-wise between T IV-s and the blades I was considering.