Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 237 668
    M
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 668 237

User Info Menu

The effect on weight (of player) on play!

Last summer between lockdowns I was playing the best table tennis of my life generally. I weighed 12st 10lb give or take!

This year I have been back playing 2 months with same blade and rubber combination and am playing very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well.
    I now weigh 13st 9 or 10lbs approx.

Is this weight gain going to ruin me that much or is it just lack of play?
    I don't see anyone else dropping in standard as much as I have!

This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 25
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 25 9
    I gained ~9lbs since September 2020 (now I'm 13st 11lbs). Ironically, I started gaining them just when I returned to training. I don't see it affected me in any way (well, probably there is some difference but it is rather small that I don't feel it). I guess it is more about training and about length of the break. Some people recover their skills faster then others. I've always been jelous to people that after Summer break needed 2-3 training sessions to regain almost the same level as before break. I needed like 3 to 4 times more time to start playing normally. It is ok, just keep playing and you will be back to your normal level sooner or later.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 39 82
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 82 39

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I had a similar (inverted) experience, I started with 135 lbs (9 stone 9 lbs) as a teenager, and then in 2019 re-started at 195 lbs (13 stone 13 lbs), and then reduced to 170 lbs (12 stone 2 lbs). First point to make is that using my (remembered) moves from my teenage years in 2019 promptly led to a back injury. I re-acquired my techniqe and dropped my weight (just by playing table tennis, several hours/day and days/week thanks to NXP's coach and 3 tables in the gym). I feel I am now better coordinated.
    So I think there is definitely an impact on timing from having more weight to shift around.
    The more important part is though that when getting older more weight puts more stress on the joints and knees which is not good.
    Also loosing weight just with table tennis is difficult, I think in my case diet played a role too (in my case, no milk products, not as much meat, no beer - use wine instead).
    "EJ" ... Yinhe Purple Dragon 437, Moon Soft, Uranus Pro Short Pips. Sanwei Fextra, Yinhe [Pro-01, Pro 5-W, PD437, Pro Feeling, T6s, T7s, 970xxA], Nittaku Fastarc G1/Nittaku Moristo SP, Yasaka Rakza PO/7(Soft), DHS HNeo3/Yinhe Pluto, Yinhe Sun/Moon/Jupiter/Moon Speed/Uranus Pro Soft+Medium, ...

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 70 123
    A
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 123 70

Definitely some extra flab and lack of training can mess with the timing. Overcompensating movements can also mess with one’s back!

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,374 1,649
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,649 1,374

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think you could maybe move faster and prevent injuries.

A high level coach with insight told me that Michael Maze do not want to go over 70 kilograms in weight since it is less strain on the body and help him play despite his bad body.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 52
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 6

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Philippines
    Read 0 Reviews
    I noticed heavyset players have great wrist control and are able to produce really deceptive shots.
    A few that come to mind are Seiya Kishikawa, He Zhi Wen, Sun Mingyang.

There was also this fat guy in the Tacshow channel using JPEN. can't find the video right now but this guy was doing some insanely fast and spinny loops using his TPB side and he was able to perform them in real games

says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 575 1,327
    K
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 1,327 575
    Quote Originally Posted by MOG
    Last summer between lockdowns I was playing the best table tennis of my life generally. I weighed 12st 10lb give or take!

This year I have been back playing 2 months with same blade and rubber combination and am playing very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well.
    I now weigh 13st 9 or 10lbs approx.

Is this weight gain going to ruin me that much or is it just lack of play?
    I don't see anyone else dropping in standard as much as I have!

Not playing ruined you that much. When not playing for extended periods of time, you lose touch. A lot of table tennis rellies on precise contact, which is our bodies tend to forget after a while. It will get back soon enough though. You said `very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well` give your body time to remember. I recently started recovering from 6 months after covid break. It takes time to remember to move, by how much, when etc...

The Following User Likes Kuba Hajto's Post:

SamTheMan

Last edited by Kuba Hajto; 06-25-2021 at 10:32 AM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 82 89
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 89 82

User Info Menu

Weight affects. But not playing affects more

This user has no status.

TTD Member 82 89
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 89 82

User Info Menu

If I play 2-3 times a week I slowly progress. If I play once a week I feel like I only maintain my current level. So, I believe your lack of play has affected your game.