The effect on weight (of player) on play!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Last summer between lockdowns I was playing the best table tennis of my life generally. I weighed 12st 10lb give or take!

This year I have been back playing 2 months with same blade and rubber combination and am playing very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well.
I now weigh 13st 9 or 10lbs approx.

Is this weight gain going to ruin me that much or is it just lack of play?
I don't see anyone else dropping in standard as much as I have!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
I gained ~9lbs since September 2020 (now I'm 13st 11lbs). Ironically, I started gaining them just when I returned to training. I don't see it affected me in any way (well, probably there is some difference but it is rather small that I don't feel it). I guess it is more about training and about length of the break. Some people recover their skills faster then others. I've always been jelous to people that after Summer break needed 2-3 training sessions to regain almost the same level as before break. I needed like 3 to 4 times more time to start playing normally. It is ok, just keep playing and you will be back to your normal level sooner or later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I had a similar (inverted) experience, I started with 135 lbs (9 stone 9 lbs) as a teenager, and then in 2019 re-started at 195 lbs (13 stone 13 lbs), and then reduced to 170 lbs (12 stone 2 lbs). First point to make is that using my (remembered) moves from my teenage years in 2019 promptly led to a back injury. I re-acquired my techniqe and dropped my weight (just by playing table tennis, several hours/day and days/week thanks to NXP's coach and 3 tables in the gym). I feel I am now better coordinated.
So I think there is definitely an impact on timing from having more weight to shift around.
The more important part is though that when getting older more weight puts more stress on the joints and knees which is not good.
Also loosing weight just with table tennis is difficult, I think in my case diet played a role too (in my case, no milk products, not as much meat, no beer - use wine instead).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you could maybe move faster and prevent injuries.

A high level coach with insight told me that Michael Maze do not want to go over 70 kilograms in weight since it is less strain on the body and help him play despite his bad body.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
I noticed heavyset players have great wrist control and are able to produce really deceptive shots.
A few that come to mind are Seiya Kishikawa, He Zhi Wen, Sun Mingyang.

There was also this fat guy in the Tacshow channel using JPEN. can't find the video right now but this guy was doing some insanely fast and spinny loops using his TPB side and he was able to perform them in real games

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Last summer between lockdowns I was playing the best table tennis of my life generally. I weighed 12st 10lb give or take!

This year I have been back playing 2 months with same blade and rubber combination and am playing very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well.
I now weigh 13st 9 or 10lbs approx.

Is this weight gain going to ruin me that much or is it just lack of play?
I don't see anyone else dropping in standard as much as I have!

Not playing ruined you that much. When not playing for extended periods of time, you lose touch. A lot of table tennis rellies on precise contact, which is our bodies tend to forget after a while. It will get back soon enough though. You said `very badly, inconsistent, not moving, and not transitioning from bh to fh and vice versa very well` give your body time to remember. I recently started recovering from 6 months after covid break. It takes time to remember to move, by how much, when etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: SamTheMan