Best Blades and Rubbers For Intermediate Modern Defensive Players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
I have been playing table tennis avidly for about the last four months. I have been playing about 10 hours a week on average, and have been very precise about developing an entire range of serves and shots so that at some point in the future I could specialize in a specific style of play and now can preform FH / BH loops, FH / BH chops, blocks, slices, side-loops, and FH / BH flicks. I invested in a Stiga Talon not long after I started playing, and now it is starting to wear out from the constant usage despite constant cleaning and protection from a case, so I want to go all in on a modern defensive style and get a completely new paddle. I know there are a lot of people here who are a lot more knowledgeable than me in this field, and I would like if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what blade and rubbers I should invest in (I'm looking to go long pimples on back hand and inverted on forehand).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi,

You seem to be a beginner at the modern defense style of play. So, I'd recommend either of the following

Blades
  • Donic Defplay Senso
  • Tibhar Stratus Power Defense (A wee bit on the faster side)
  • Yinhe 980 (An inexpensive option. Also, just a bit on the faster side)

Long Pimple
  • Yinhe Neptune (Offers excellent control. Well-suited for new-comers to the defense style. I'd recommend a 0.5mm sponge)
  • Dawei 388D-1 (0.5mm Sponge)
  • Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker (0.5mm Sponge)
Inverted (Way too many options here.. I'd prefer if someone else chimes in for this part .. But, here it goes anyway)
  • Yasaka Mark V (1.9mm)
  • Xiom Musa (1.9mm)
  • Butterfly Tackiness Chop (1.7 - 1.9mm)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I have been playing table tennis avidly for about the last four months. I have been playing about 10 hours a week on average, and have been very precise about developing an entire range of serves and shots so that at some point in the future I could specialize in a specific style of play and now can preform FH / BH loops, FH / BH chops, blocks, slices, side-loops, and FH / BH flicks. I invested in a Stiga Talon not long after I started playing, and now it is starting to wear out from the constant usage despite constant cleaning and protection from a case, so I want to go all in on a modern defensive style and get a completely new paddle. I know there are a lot of people here who are a lot more knowledgeable than me in this field, and I would like if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what blade and rubbers I should invest in (I'm looking to go long pimples on back hand and inverted on forehand).

My recommendation is to ask the modern defender closer to you and try out his bat, or get something like a Korbel with a pair or Vega Pro/Baracuda/Rakza 7 and after you get used to it, slap some pips out rubber on one side.
In the other hand, I'm pretty sure that no one can develop the skills needed to success using a defensive style in four months...
​​​​​​Kind regards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a " modern defender" style of play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 1 reviews
I once saw a video of a great Chinese coach that the better the material you buy, the greater your margin of progression. I honestly don't know where the video is because I've seen a lot of it but his words made perfect sense. Conclusion: Don't see yourself as an intermediate player if you want to become an excellent player 😀

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 1 reviews
Do you work for Butterfly ? (or Stiga or Tibhar or Dr.Neubauer etc)
Only just joking (OK maybe not)

hello Unlooped, I'm not kidding! And I endorse what I said ;) I think if I worked for a brand I would be fired, since I didn't reference any brand or product. 🤣🤣🤣

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any chance you can show some video footage of you playing so people can have a reference point for what equipment may be most useful to you based on seeing how you actually play?