Please advise on my equipment upgrade

This user has no status.
Would you please advise me on upgrading my equipment? I have played for two years with stiga alround classic with DHS neo hurricane rubber on both sides. I consider myself to be a player who has recently become intermediate from beginner and I want to improve further. I am trying to develop my game as a two winged looper with a good game from short and mid distance. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation.
K

This user has no status.
Would you please advise me on upgrading my equipment? I have played for two years with stiga alround classic with DHS neo hurricane rubber on both sides. I consider myself to be a player who has recently become intermediate from beginner and I want to improve further. I am trying to develop my game as a two winged looper with a good game from short and mid distance. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
K

This user has no status.
Please help me to upgrade my equipment!

I have played for two years with stiga alround classic with DHS neo hurricane rubber on both sides. I consider myself to be a player who has recently become intermediate from beginner and I want to improve further. I am trying develop my game as a two winged looper with a good game from short and mid distance. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
K

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you can continue with the blade. More likely that you will limit you further development if you change to something to fast. Maybe try a regular rubber on the backhand side? Do not know how hard your Hurricane is. Difficult with to hard rubbers on the backhand side.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Kimvut: You have made three threads. All three are the same exact content. I have merged them into one thread. You can't have three threads with the same content. Feel free to wake this thread and with an extra post if you feel you still need answers and are not getting them. But don't keep making new threads for this same question.

Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
I agree with Lula - Stick with the same blade, but change the rubbers, perhaps.. If you have a coach, then, best to seek his advice/recommendation ..

However, if you feel absolutely compelled to change your setup.. I'd recommend something like Stiga Offensive Classic, Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, or even Butterfly Korbel ..You haven't mentioned anything about your playing-style. So, I'd say stick with 5-ply OFF- blades..

As for rubbers, I'd suggest you use the same on both sides - Something like XIOM Vega Europe, Butterfly Rozena, Rakza 7 Soft .. Once again, due to lack of proper info, your play-style, I'd say stay away from hard rubbers..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
1. Which hurricanes?
2. Blade which feels good, and stick with it.
3. Equipment does not matter. It is supposed to feel good to you. Current Polish double champions (man senior, girls mid, girls juniors) won using 25$ all wood blade and pair of MXP. Use what make you feel confident and has a nice feeling.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi K,

Some footage of you playing would be great as per Carl’s request.

What are you expecting from an equipment upgrade??
your not going to get anything with much more top end spin that the H3 Neo’s!!

H3 Neo is a great rubber to learn with, and the blade is a good one as well !!!
You could just stay with this set up and continue to improve, the set up will ensure that you will learn great technique and play the strokes correctly. Especially brushing the ball.
As you develop then your power will get better as well.

A change of rubbers is fairly limited if you like the Tacky Chinese rubbers.
You could try a softer version of H3 Neo, or perhaps H8 - 80, the 37 degree versions. On your BH (and FH wing if you want to)
There is also the option of moving to a ESN/Spring Sponge type rubber on the BH side these will give you easier speed. Keeping the H3 Neo on FH

Many of the top Chinese players now seem to use either the softer 37 degree versions of H3 (probably tweaked National versions) or a bouncy spring sponge rubber on the BH wing.
Regarding the DHS rubbers there are 3 grades available, some are not so easy to get hold of.
Regular
Provincial
and National ( stay clear of this version until you have developed further )
Then there are sponge hardnesses from about 37 to 41 degrees. The softer hardness of sponge is usually slightly easier to play with.

Of course, you can move to a bouncy grippy rubber on both wings as well, in this scenario I would keep your current blade. It will play completely differently to H3 Neo!! A lot more bounce and some more speed.

If you want to keep the H3 Neo, then a blade upgrade would be another option., Funk-fu’s option of trying the Offensive Classic is a good one, as it will keep the classic ‘Stiga’ feel.

Then there are the current run of ‘Hybrid’ characteristic rubbers a combo of a slightly tacky top sheet with a hard spring sponge. These could ‘bridge’ the change in the difference in ‘feel’ and difference in ‘bounce’ You still keep some tackiness and gain some additional bounce from the sponge.

I would advise to only change one thing, either change blade and keep the rubbers
or change rubbers and keep the blade. This way there is at least one ‘constant’ instead of a totally different set up.

This user has no status.
Hi K,

Some footage of you playing would be great as per Carl’s request.

What are you expecting from an equipment upgrade??
your not going to get anything with much more top end spin that the H3 Neo’s!!

H3 Neo is a great rubber to learn with, and the blade is a good one as well !!!
You could just stay with this set up and continue to improve, the set up will ensure that you will learn great technique and play the strokes correctly. Especially brushing the ball.
As you develop then your power will get better as well.

A change of rubbers is fairly limited if you like the Tacky Chinese rubbers.
You could try a softer version of H3 Neo, or perhaps H8 - 80, the 37 degree versions. On your BH (and FH wing if you want to)
There is also the option of moving to a ESN/Spring Sponge type rubber on the BH side these will give you easier speed. Keeping the H3 Neo on FH

Many of the top Chinese players now seem to use either the softer 37 degree versions of H3 (probably tweaked National versions) or a bouncy spring sponge rubber on the BH wing.
Regarding the DHS rubbers there are 3 grades available, some are not so easy to get hold of.
Regular
Provincial
and National ( stay clear of this version until you have developed further )
Then there are sponge hardnesses from about 37 to 41 degrees. The softer hardness of sponge is usually slightly easier to play with.

Of course, you can move to a bouncy grippy rubber on both wings as well, in this scenario I would keep your current blade. It will play completely differently to H3 Neo!! A lot more bounce and some more speed.

If you want to keep the H3 Neo, then a blade upgrade would be another option., Funk-fu’s option of trying the Offensive Classic is a good one, as it will keep the classic ‘Stiga’ feel.

Then there are the current run of ‘Hybrid’ characteristic rubbers a combo of a slightly tacky top sheet with a hard spring sponge. These could ‘bridge’ the change in the difference in ‘feel’ and difference in ‘bounce’ You still keep some tackiness and gain some additional bounce from the sponge.

I would advise to only change one thing, either change blade and keep the rubbers
or change rubbers and keep the blade. This way there is at least one ‘constant’ instead of a totally different set up.

Many thanks and much appreciated. Perhaps it's too early to change! Will also speak with the coaches in my club😊

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Many thanks and much appreciated. Perhaps it's too early to change! Will also speak with the coaches in my club😊

Great!!! Seems like you have your head screwed on properly!!! The coaches have worked with you and know your capabilities. They are definitely the 1st point of call !!!
If you can, try other people’s set ups as well, then you’ll start to get an understanding of how different rubbers and blade combo’s play. Great cheap option of finding what you like as well !!!

This user has no status.
Great!!! Seems like you have your head screwed on properly!!! The coaches have worked with you and know your capabilities. They are definitely the 1st point of call !!!
If you can, try other people’s set ups as well, then you’ll start to get an understanding of how different rubbers and blade combo’s play. Great cheap option of finding what you like as well !!!

Thanks 🙏

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Would you please advise me on upgrading my equipment? I have played for two years with stiga alround classic with DHS neo hurricane rubber on both sides. I consider myself to be a player who has recently become intermediate from beginner and I want to improve further. I am trying to develop my game as a two winged looper with a good game from short and mid distance. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks in anticipation.K

If you find you like the DHS rubber and wishes to remain using chinese tacky rubber but think the blade is a bit slow, then you can move on to Stiga Infinity VPS , Stiga Clipper CR or Stiga Carbonado ( in ascending degree of speed rating ).If you think you the chinese tacky rubber does not suit your style, and wishes to remain using Stiga All round, you can then choose medium hard to hard European tensor rubber e.g: Stiga Mantra Mid or Hard or Donic Acuda S1 etc.You did mention two wing looper: how about Yasaka Ma Lin offensive with one side Rakza 7 and the other side Rakza 7 soft. It is a very spinny set up. OK Ok, I am just being EJ'ing. You can ignore my Yasaka comment. LOL!P/s: I have played before pairing Stiga All round with Donic Acuda S1 on FH and it was a perfect combination. Control and Fast spinny loop. Best of both world.

Last edited: