Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 44
    csxstars8696's Avatar
    csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 10
    #1

    Why is it that Asians are pretty much the only choppers?

    After years of watching table tennis, I noticed a trend among choppers: 99.999% of them were Asian, or at least the top choppers were Asian:
    -Ma Te
    -Joo Se Hyuk
    -Chris Xu
    -Hitomi Sato
    -Masato Shiono
    -Li Jie
    -Chen Weixing
    -Ding Song
    -Angela Guan
    -Han Ying
    -Yuto Mutamatsu
    -Jian Li
    -Hu Limei
    -Hou Yingchao
    -Chen Xinhua
    -Li Gun Sang
    -Hiroshi Shibutani
    -Koji Matsushita
    -Many more internationally and at the Chinese provincial and local levels

    Of course there are exceptions like Ruwen Filus but by far the majority of choppers are Asian. Can anyone shed light on this matter? Perhaps is it just a playing style native to Asia, or does it have to do with cultural differences and similarities?
    Last edited by csxstars8696; 07-11-2021 at 08:55 PM.

  2. LordPippington is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 213 303
    L
    LordPippington is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 303 213

    User Info Menu


    May 2016
    United States
    303
    213
    792
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    Depends how high up in levels you are talking about...

    Viktoria Pavlovich
    Gionis
    Ruwen Filus
    thomas bennborn
    paul pinkewich
    gregg letts
    maxim chaplygin
    gustaf erikson
    ganna gapanova
    evgenui chtechinne (whatever the spelling is)
    daniel kleinart

    Anyway, there's a few!

    Eastern europe has a lot. I think it has more to do with available coaches and number of players, making it a % game.

    The Following 3 Users Like LordPippington's Post:

    Baal, csxstars8696 and 1 other


  3. Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,602 3,275
    T
    Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,275 3,602
    #3
    you forgot Tetyana Bilenko

    The Following User Likes Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

    driversbeat


  4. sampletext is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 37 181
    S
    sampletext is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 181 37
    #4

    Your over thinking it. The way I see it, Table tennis is more developed in Asia, so there will be more high level Asian choppers.

    The Following 4 Users Like sampletext's Post:

    Baal, csxstars8696 and 2 others


  5. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,922 3,549
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,549 5,922

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,549
    5,922
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sampletext

    Your over thinking it. The way I see it, Table tennis is more developed in Asia, so there will be more high level Asian choppers.

    Exactly. This is the reason.. In Asia there will be more of everything. Actually over last 20 years if you restrict attention to world top 100 there MAY be about as Europeans (especially eastern European). Anyway I can think of quite a few. Maybe I'm wrong about the exact numbers. I would bet a lot that the ratio of defenders to attackers is similar everywhere.

    Also, the OP forgot two of the most fun to watch defenders from Asia, the two Korean women defenders who played doubles together. They had epic battles against Chinese opponents. Sadly retired now.

    The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

    csxstars8696


  6. Funk Fu Master is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 60 132
    F
    Funk Fu Master is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 132 60

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    UK
    132
    60
    100
    Read 1 Reviews
    #6
    Would Chen Weixing be considered Asian or European ?

    The Following User Likes Funk Fu Master's Post:

    csxstars8696


  7. Ahma is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 38 182
    Ahma's Avatar
    Ahma is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 182 38

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2021
    Finland
    182
    38
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Funk Fu Master
    Would Chen Weixing be considered Asian or European ?

    Born in Mongolia so I don’t know

    The Following User Likes Ahma's Post:

    csxstars8696

    Last edited by Ahma; 07-11-2021 at 06:56 AM.

  8. Jeppe950 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 38
    J
    Jeppe950 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 38 35
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Funk Fu Master
    Would Chen Weixing be considered Asian or European ?

    Depends on when he came over from China (I don't know), but to me he's in the same ballpark as Wang Yang or Wang Xi would be since they developed and learnt their styles in Asia.


  9. csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 44
    csxstars8696's Avatar
    csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 10
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe950

    Depends on when he came over from China (I don't know), but to me he's in the same ballpark as Wang Yang or Wang Xi would be since they developed and learnt their styles in Asia.

    I would definitely consider Chen Weixing as Asian. He was actually born in China, not mongolia. There is a region in northern China called "Inner Mongolia", however this region is not part of Mongolia. It is part of China.


  10. Jeppe950 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 38
    J
    Jeppe950 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 38 35
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by csxstars8696

    I would definitely consider Chen Weixing as Asian. He was actually born in China, not mongolia. There is a region in northern China called "Inner Mongolia", however this region is not part of Mongolia. It is part of China.

    Yes, I did some research, he came to Europe when he was around 27, played in Germany and Austria, got his citizenship and then played for the Austrian NT. So I agree, players like him Yang Wang, Xi Wang etc are Asian trained choppers.

    The Following User Likes Jeppe950's Post:

    csxstars8696


  11. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,039 10,826
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,826 11,039

    User Info Menu

    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal
    Just to focus on the OP's omissions of three famous recent Korean defenders on this post...

    Yup, dude dun plumb forgot to mention Pak Hyn Mi and Kim Kyoung Ah... not to mention the current longtime pro Seoh Hyo Weon, who also made the cover of a Men's magazine famous for its membership gawking at the partially dressed women in its pages...

    [Begin Sarcasm Ops] So, depending on which individual you meet, the OP could be accused of racism against Koreans and blatant non-inclusive attitude and practices...

    ... or OP could be accused (if OP is a male) of not really being very male to a point where the authorities could or should take dude's man-card on the basis of non-male tendencies. [/End Sarcasm and Teasing]

    Fortuanately, Der_Echte is not from either camp of thought, but is more of the one of facts and reasoning. (if it isn't a matter of opinion, and I frequently discuss pure opinion) OP stated 99.99%...

    I would like to see the data that indicates 99.99 %... I would also like to wager several large boxes of Cheese-its that the real data would show much less than that number... and would like to see OP's definitions and performance peramaters of what would merit inclusion in the data set.

    Very good question Baal poses, is it WR100 or better... what is the standard used here??? Should be clearly defined and articulated. Once any such wide ranging feinitions are established and data colloected would be much lower than 99.99%, and if we are talking about any player of any standard that would take years of training... then I wager it would be closer to 50 than 99.99

    So we then look for what would be reasonable explainations for the data given, since it contains all underlying conditions. Perhaps the singlemost factor to consider is the fact that there are simply many more players of Asian heritage participating in the sport of Table Tennis.

    Just about everyone replying has touched upon these concepts and concluded that the OP's post is more opinion than anything, does not clearly identify and define the standards of what goes into the dataset, and excludes (intentionally or by forgetfulness) some obvious ones who would be in the dataset by many people's definitions of standards.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    Takkyu_wa_inochi

    Last edited by Der_Echte; 07-11-2021 at 11:34 PM.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  12. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,039 10,826
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,826 11,039

    User Info Menu

    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Funk Fu Master
    Would Chen Weixing be considered Asian or European ?
    That is a very question that would need to be defined by the OP for inclusion or exclusion in his dataset.

    I offered the definition if Asian heritage, which for these purposes could reasonably be defined as being Asian born in Asia to include being born of 2 Asian parents outside Asia (2nd gen). We could make arguements for including 3rd gen or whatever... but certainly up to and including 2nd gen Asian would be reasonable for the definition.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  13. Tim Boll is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 5 31
    T
    Tim Boll is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 31 5

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2021
    China
    31
    5
    0
    Read 5 Reviews
    #13
    It's like the Americans playing basketball and the Brazilians playing soccer.
    I think this is due to the different body types of the human.

  14. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,039 10,826
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,826 11,039

    User Info Menu

    #14
    OP forgot all the LP players from Irkutsk TTC Siberia over the years on Dmitrij Raspopin's youtube channel...

    Dmitrij used to post on TTD very often about his club and players... it was a HIT and anyone long on teh forum should remember.

    Here is one vid from his channel from a few yrs back...

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    IB66

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  15. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,922 3,549
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,549 5,922

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,549
    5,922
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    That is a very question that would need to be defined by the OP for inclusion or exclusion in his dataset.

    I offered the definition if Asian heritage, which for these purposes could reasonably be defined as being Asian born in Asia to include being born of 2 Asian parents outside Asia (2nd gen). We could make arguements for including 3rd gen or whatever... but certainly up to and including 2nd gen Asian would be reasonable for the definition.

    Definition for a thread like this is where you learned to play. Lilly Zhang for example learned to play in the US and is American. Harmimoto is Japanese. However Chen Weixing is Asian.

    But the entire thread is based on a false premise for all the reasons noted.. Now, if OP had said penholders, he would have a point.

    The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

    Takkyu_wa_inochi


  16. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,922 3,549
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,549 5,922

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,549
    5,922
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boll
    It's like the Americans playing basketball and the Brazilians playing soccer.
    I think this is due to the different body types of the human.

    No, it is not body type, it is tradition and coaching infrastructure. So many little kids in Brazil dream of futbol, have opportunities to play, are exposed at a young age, etc. And if they are great they can make a good living doing it. If somebody shows talent that talent will be cultivated. They will in Germany too. Same with basketball in the US (and now in some other countries too, like Serbia). It's why Belgium and Netherlands produce so many road cyclists. It is definitely why China produces so many TT players (and why Vietnam, for ecample, doesnt). The Dominican Republic and Cuba produce huge numbers of great baseball players but no futbol players of note.


  17. IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 469 892
    I
    IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 892 469
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    OP forgot all the LP players from Irkutsk TTC Siberia over the years on Dmitrij Raspopin's youtube channel...

    Dmitrij used to post on TTD very often about his club and players... it was a HIT and anyone long on teh forum should remember.

    Here is one vid from his channel from a few yrs back...

    Great vid, that fella was well and truly frustrated!!!


  18. csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 44
    csxstars8696's Avatar
    csxstars8696 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 10
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    Just to focus on the OP's omissions of three famous recent Korean defenders on this post...

    Yup, dude dun plumb forgot to mention Pak Hyn Mi and Kim Kyoung Ah... not to mention the current longtime pro Seoh Hyo Weon, who also made the cover of a Men's magazine famous for its membership gawking at the partially dressed women in its pages...

    [Begin Sarcasm Ops] So, depending on which individual you meet, the OP could be accused of racism against Koreans and blatant non-inclusive attitude and practices...

    ... or OP could be accused (if OP is a male) of not really being very male to a point where the authorities could or should take dude's man-card on the basis of non-male tendencies. [/End Sarcasm and Teasing]

    Fortuanately, Der_Echte is not from either camp of thought, but is more of the one of facts and reasoning. (if it isn't a matter of opinion, and I frequently discuss pure opinion) OP stated 99.99%...

    I would like to see the data that indicates 99.99 %... I would also like to wager several large boxes of Cheese-its that the real data would show much less than that number... and would like to see OP's definitions and performance peramaters of what would merit inclusion in the data set.

    Very good question Baal poses, is it WR100 or better... what is the standard used here??? Should be clearly defined and articulated. Once any such wide ranging feinitions are established and data colloected would be much lower than 99.99%, and if we are talking about any player of any standard that would take years of training... then I wager it would be closer to 50 than 99.99

    So we then look for what would be reasonable explainations for the data given, since it contains all underlying conditions. Perhaps the singlemost factor to consider is the fact that there are simply many more players of Asian heritage participating in the sport of Table Tennis.

    Just about everyone replying has touched upon these concepts and concluded that the OP's post is more opinion than anything, does not clearly identify and define the standards of what goes into the dataset, and excludes (intentionally or by forgetfulness) some obvious ones who would be in the dataset by many people's definitions of standards.

    Obviously Der Echte is very ignorant and quick to judge. Moreover, he/she does not implement correct English structure when writing his/her posts. Your subject/verb agreement is totally off. And secondly, I too am a Korean who is living in America. My last name is Kim and both of my parents were born in Korea and raised there.


  19. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,039 10,826
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,826 11,039

    User Info Menu

    #19
    Send out the Goon Squad on that joker who has terrible English...
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  20. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,922 3,549
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,549 5,922

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,549
    5,922
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #20
    Here is one of the most entertaining g matches of all time, featuring Korean choppers.

    https://youtu.be/NzYtFLpJrQU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.